Jean Cocteau’s sublime adaptation of Mme.

Cocteau is always able to tell a superb visual story with very low tech effects, and this is also the case here.
There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. It is an engrossing retelling of the Orpheus myth set in contemporary times. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission.

, although it is not a trilogy in the true sense and this reviewed film can be seen as a stand alone effort. Set in the modern world, in an unnamed European country, with a story that could also happen all around the world as the myth is universal, Orpheus falls in love with Death as it takes away a young poet named Cégeste, then his wife. Listen and watch with ease, allow the transmission to be received. Jean Cocteau’s sublime adaptation of Mme. Orpheus represents the legendary Cocteau at the height of his abilities for peerless visual poetry and dreamlike storytelling. Maisons-Laffitte, France. Copyright © Fandango.

Gawd, I love this movie!

His experimental play "La Voix humaine" was first staged in 1930.

The spectacular visions of enchantment, desire, and death in Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) have become timeless icons of cinematic wonder.

“When I make a film, it is a sleep in which I am dreaming,” Jean Cocteau once wrote. Grease 40th Anniversary Triple (Grease - Grease 2 - Grease Live) [Blu-ray]. He was also a poet, novelist, playwright, and painter, and all of those disciplines are reflected in his films—from the prewar, avant-garde, surrealist The Blood of a Poet to the fairy-tale masterpiece Beauty and the Beast to the Jean-Pierre Melville collaboration Les enfants terribles and the contemporary takes on classical mythology Orpheus and Testament of Orpheus. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Previous page of related Sponsored Products, Multiple Formats, Black & White, Full Screen, NTSC, Special Edition, Subtitled, Jean Marais, Francois Perier, Maria Casares, Marie Dea, Henri Cremieux, A tale of two Orpheus (Bluray, minor spoilers), Reviewed in the United States on April 1, 2012.

I've been a fan of Cocteau since I first saw "La Belle et Le Bete" eons ago. There's a problem loading this menu right now. It is one of the most magical of all films. Un chef d'oe4uvre en blu ray, MAGNIFICO!!!

Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2014.

- Jean Cocteau. Jean Cocteau was a poet, a painter and a filmmaker. Bill Condon is a celebrated film director and Oscar-winning screenwriter whose latest project is Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.

We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others.

Testament of Orpheus Jean Cocteau Active - 1930 - 2014 | Born - Jul 5, 1889 | Died - Oct 11, 1963 | Genres - Drama, Romance, Avant-garde / Experimental, Fantasy. Jean Maurice Eugène Clément Cocteau was born on July 5, 1889 in Maisons-Laffitte, France. Leprince de Beaumont’s fairy-tale masterpiece—in which the pure love of a beautiful girl melts the heart of a feral but gentle beast—is a landmark of motion picture fantasy, with unforgettably romantic performances by Jean Marais and Josette Day. Leprince de Beaumont’s fairy-tale masterpiece—in which the pure love of a beautiful girl melts the heart of a feral but gentle beast—is a landmark of motion picture fantasy, with unforgettably romantic performances by Jean Marais and Josette Day.

And his use of slow motion (now more a cliche than a groundbreaking technique) really worked here. I'm sad that it too me so long to discover this one. This week, our latest series on the Criterion Channel, Happily Ever After?, showcases the deviant forces lurk…, New, high-definition digital transfer from restored film elements, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition, Two commentaries: one by film historian Arthur Knight and one by writer and cultural historian Sir Christopher Frayling, Interview with cinematographer Henri Alekan, Rare behind-the-scenes photos and publicity stills, Original trailer, directed and narrated by Jean Cocteau, and the 1995 restoration trailer, New and improved English subtitle translation, PLUS: An essay by film critic Geoffrey O’Brien, a 1947 piece on the film by Cocteau (Blu-ray only), excerpts from Francis Steegmuller’s 1970. Essential Art House: 50 Years of Janus Films.

100%

Before Disney's 1991 film and long before the Beast started signing autographs in Orlando, Jean Cocteau filmed "Beauty and the Beast" in 1946, in France.

Cocteau published what would ultimately become his most celebrated novel, "Les Enfants Terribles" (1929) at age 40, before moving swiftly into the world of theater and cinema. Jean Maurice Eugène Clément Cocteau was born on July 5, 1889 in Maisons-Laffitte, France. Apart from the craft, this is a deeply moving and heartfelt story that will haunt your memory.

Je suis très, mais très heureux d'avoir acheté ce ... Je suis très , mais très heureux d'avoir acheté ce film, de plus dans cette colection Criterion, il est inclus une biographie de l'auteur Jean cocteau qu'il rend encore plus précieux cette achat de ce grand poète qu'il fut.

Cocteau left home at the young age of 15, and began publishing works of poetry and literature only a few short years later. Le baron Julius Carol, le baron fantôme (Character).
Criterion has put out two films from the 1950s that pay homage to the Greek story of love and death they are named after, both by french directors: 'Orpheus', directed by Jean Cocteau (1950), and 'Black Orpheus', by Marcel Camus (1959). Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Orphée (Jean Marais) is … The Mystery of Oberwald (1980), Birthday: I especially liked his use of the bombed out ruins of Paris for his purgatorial mise en scene. A set designer who was capital for Cocteau's work in theater and in Cinema, Bérard was the man behind the sets of Cocteau's masterpiece: "Beauty and the Beast".

Overview ↓ Filmography ↓ Other Appearances ↓ Awards ↓ Jean Cocteau pulls out his usual bag of tricks to create a film that rivals his magnificent Beauty and the Beast (1946). Watch the film, then you'll know! A true artist of the cinematic form, Cocteau, in just a handful of films—some of which he directed, some of which he wrote, but to all of which he contributed his unique vision and craft—created an unparalleled dream world.

I would recommend getting this bluray instead of the Orphic Trilogy to save some money: IMHO this Orpheus is the best of the bunch, and I found the triology to appeal primarilly to those more interested in Cocteau "the man" rather than his movies. The picture switches effortlessly between "real-world life" and "dream world / underworld reality".

Shot after successful film adaptations of his plays "The Terrible Parents" and "the Two-Headed Eagle" as director, and Ruy Blas as scriptwriter, "Orpheus" is Cocteau's take on that Greek myth.

I have been wanting to buy this edition for quite so time. The result of his patience regarding the screen yielding "Beauty and the Beast" (1946), and "Orpheus" (1950) and "Coriolan" (1950) not long afterward. Very happy with this purchase!

Each time I see it, more is revealed to me, thanks to the richness of the details and the underlying subtext. Highest Rated: Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, + $19.81 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Thailand. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. A set designer who was capital for Cocteau's work in theater and in Cinema, Bérard was the man behind the sets of Cocteau's masterpiece: "Beauty and the Beast". Ladies of the Park (1945), Lowest Rated: Both films are masterpieces which deserve your undivided attention--especially on blu-ray where the blacks are black and the whites are white and mirrors are the doorways to unreality and back again in a gray-warp of unintentional mystery....Get it.... "From Now On You Belong to the Other World", Reviewed in the United States on September 7, 2011. Please try again. Brilliant film and beautifully presented. Reviewed in the United States on June 17, 2017.

Among his notable early works were poetry collections "Aladdin's Lamp" and "The Frivolous Prince," though his most famous works would come a few years down the line. This film features trick shots and special effects that are simple, yet state of the art for their time (as is also the case in "La Belle et La Bête"): rubber gloves, that grant one entrance to the Underworld, by means of walking through mirrors; mirrors with watery surfaces; broken mirrors reassembling; the Princess ("La Mort"--María Casares) disappearing and reappearing; mysterious sequences of numbers and abstract poetry fragments emanating from the Princess' car radio. Each of these works is a visually innovative exploration of art, sex, love, and death—mementos of one of cinema’s most richly creative minds. Jean Cocteau’s gorgeous, wildly inventive adaptation of Mme. Jean Cocteau’s update of the Orpheus myth depicts a famous poet (Jean Marais), scorned by the Left Bank youth, and his love for both his wife, Eurydice (Marie Déa), and a mysterious princess (Maria Casarès).

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Out of the extravagant variety of Jean Cocteau’s work—the paintings and drawings, the poems, the plays and novels and memoirs, the opera librettos and ballet scenarios—it is likely his films that will have the most enduring influence, and am…, “In my opinion,” wrote Cocteau, “one must have Marais’ passion for his work and his devotion to his dog to persevere as he did in deserting the human race for the animal race.”The idea of the film was hard to sell to a producer, and althoug…, Reflecting on Jean Marais’s performance as the hero in Orpheus, Jean Cocteau once said that the actor “illuminates the film for me with his soul.” At the heart of the visionary auteur’s extravagantly designed fantasy worlds, Marais served as …, The glittering surfaces of classic fairy tales often mask undercurrents of emotional torment, spiritual foreboding, and moral transgression. Seeking inspiration, the poet follows the princess from the world of the living to the land of the dead, through Cocteau’s famous mirrored portal. Reviewed in the United States on April 15, 2012.

50%

In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Leprince de Beaumont’s fairy tale Beauty and the Beast screens next Wednesday at Lexington’s Kentucky Theatre. This 1950 update of the Orphic myth by Jean Cocteau (Beauty and the Beast) depicts a famous poet (Jean Marais) scorned by the Left Bank youth, and his love for both his wife Eurydice (Marie Déa) and a mysterious princess (Maria Casarès). An obsession that intrigues everyone as Cégeste's death is blamed on Orpheus. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I enjoy studying "Orpheus", my favorite of Cocteau's films for its sheer originality, cryptic whimsy, audio-visual conceptual risks, and superb musical score by Georges Auric. "A single glass of water lights up the world." The setting would appear to be the present: that is, postwar France. 86%.

On another note, It is also important to know that the movie is dedicated to Christian Bérard, or "Bébé" as Cocteau called his friend.