Hi my name is Genevieve,but people call me Genny.Is anyone else called Genevieve who likes to be called Genny? The name Genevieve is a girl's name of French origin meaning "tribe woman". Though Saint Genevieve's relics had been publicly burnt at the Place de Grève in 1793 during the French Revolution, the Panthéon was restored to Catholic purposes in 1821. Genevieve, the gamin-like French singer and comedian whose fractured English enchanted American TV viewers on Jack Paar’s “Tonight Show” in the late 1950s and early ‘60s, has died. I don't like my name" They still like it though and call her Jenny for short. In 1831 it was secularized again as a national mausoleum, but returned to the Catholic Church in 1852. well anyway, I think this name is so beautiful and sultry. Her feast day is kept on 3 January. It’s only got 3 syllables though, shorter than my name Olivia. Good luck and blessings on a beautiful name xxx. (I was named after the dog in the french tale Madeline) I've been told that names can affect a person's personality, if this is true than by naming your little girl Genevieve you'll end up with an anti-social (With the exception of some of her best friends) nerd. But I went backstage and started to cry. Genevieve is survived by many nieces and nephews. Love Gen, Gigi, and Evie for nicknames. I speak French, and it is pronounced that way. I love that it's the name of an historic heroine too. As a kid I loved the cartoon "Madeline", Genevieve is their dog and despite having a cousin with this name, all I can think of is a French dog every time I hear it.I think I would like the name if I could get over the "Madeline" connotation, but it's never going to happen. I do actually know a (French) woman that calls herself ge-ne-viève (which people here would apparently write Zha-ne-vee-ev), maybe it depends on where in France somebody is from? Can you pronounce je in French? Though the Communards were said to have dispersed the relics (there is no proof of this allegation, the relics having been burnt in 1793), some managed to be recovered. I absolutely adore this name! I say "JEN-uh-veev", but the French pronunciation is very pretty too, though you might struggle to have it pronounced correctly in an English-speaking country. Others: Gen, Eve (pronounced how they pronounce the name in French - EV), Evvie, and Via. Ginetta, On his way to Britain, Germanus of Auxerre stopped at Nanterre, and Genevieve confided to him that she wanted to live only for God. I got distracted by this name as I watched "Barbie and the 12 dancing princess".. because one of the princess' has this name and I never forgot it ! A somewhat similar institute, popular buriel Miramiones, had been founded under the invocation of the Holy Trinity in 1611 by Marie Bonneau de Rubella Beauharnais de Miramion. In 1960, she married television producer Ted Mills, whom she had met four years earlier when she appeared in the NBC special “Maurice Chevalier’s Paris.” Her husband died last August. This will defiantly be my daughters name, That's where nicknames come in good use :). You ... cry?’ he ask me. I like that it's a very princess sort of name, but that it's not overly flowery. (1913). She was married to Ted Mills. Alston, George Cyprian. Join Facebook to connect with Geneviève French and others you may know. - Cambridge. © 2020 Nameberry.com. [6] The small chapel became a famous place of pilgrimage during the fifth and sixth centuries. It helps that I have never met a Genevieve! There are many lovely nicknames to Genevieve- Gen, Eve, Evie, Gigi, Viv, Vivi, so on, and also many wonderful namesakes. Her singing prompted critics to hail her as a female Maurice Chevalier and possible heiress to Edith Piaf’s crown. Genevieve was born in Worcester the daughter of Joseph and Helena (Rydel) Dziczek on January 3, 1920. A look at California’s November ballot propositions. (behind Josephine) My husband loves Vivi, and is really pushing for Vivian or Viviana, but I might compromise to Genevieve with the nm Vivi. Hinds, “Saint Genevieve”. "St. Genevieve". Most definitely, but Genevieve, though I love the name so much, has dropped rapidly in my list from a top five contender to a top fifty. (Slavic) I think it's lovely . He encouraged her and at the age of fifteen, Genevieve became a nun. The nice thing about Genevieve is that unlike Elizabeth (which I'm seeing is your name), it doesn't command a nickname-- unless given a nickname to use, most people use it in full! Your guide to the 2020 election in California. Nobody really knows it, except me and the musicians, not even Jack. The canons had been lax and the cardinal selected Charles Faure to reform them. I love the nn Vivi. IMO Genevieve is one of the best French names, not super popular yet common enough that everyone's heard of it before. As for people worried about others misspelling the name (although I think it spells out pretty easily), don't worry! [2], Her following and her status as patron saint of Paris were promoted by Clotilde, who may have commissioned the writing of her vita. The Catholic Encyclopedia. I don't see the appeal. I couldn’t speak English, and he didn’t speak French. It was secularized during the French Revolution and dedicated to the memory of great Frenchmen, receiving It is true that it is dainty without being unsubstantial and flowery. My name is Genevieve but I get called Evie, when I looked up my name, I got quit a suprise that it's meaning was "Tribe Woman"! Will this child receive many prounciation problems? Borrowed from French Geneviève (patron saint of Paris), from Latin Genovefa, Genoveva, possibly either of Germanic origin, ultimately from Proto-Germanic *kunją (“kin, family”) + *wībą (“woman, wife”), or of Celtic origin, ultimately from Proto-Celtic *genos (“family, clan”). Saint Genevieve . It's feminine but also seems strong, and has lots of nickname potential, like Gigi, Gia, Ginny, Vivi, or Evie. She was born in Nanterre and moved to Paris (then known as Lutetia) after encountering Germanus of Auxerre and Lupus of Troyes and dedicated herself to a Christian life. The institute named after the saint was the Daughters of Ste. I like it so much, I've already used it as a character name and now I almost regret it because that might make it unusable for the future! And would just correct them, and be done with it . Looking for a movie the entire family can enjoy? She reported her visions and prophecies, until her enemies conspired to drown her in a lake. I love Gigi and Vieve as nicknames, but not as much for Ginny. Her on-air mixture of gaiety and innocence captivated Paar’s 8 million viewers. She grew up in Worcester and graduated from Worcester Girl’s Trade School. Stylish Girl Names That End in Consonants, Younger Parents Most Adventurous Baby Namers. I don't like the nn Jen because my sister's name is Jennifer I would most likely call her Evie (Eh-vie) , Ginny, or Gwen. She died on March 14, 2004 in Los Angeles, California, USA. My absolute favourite name. Genavive, "[4] She encountered opposition and criticism for her activities, both before and after she was again visited by Germanus from those who were jealous or considered her an impostor or hypocrite.