This can give you a taste of what your future career may be like, and the experience is extremely valuable. So much is on the horizon that it can all feel a bit overwhelming, but the end is now in sight. Thank you for reading! In the U.S., colleges generally require students to declare an academic major by the beginning of their junior year. I was focusing more on career prep and my new job, so my academics weren’t as much of a priority. For more test strategy, college admissions, and scholarship application tips sign up for our FREE class happening right now! Your email address will not be published. I had my fair share of ups and downs but I felt like my junior year was, overall, an amazing experience. Ask yourself, “Who can I serve or help right now? On a lighter note, you know exactly where you like to get your coffee in the a.m. You know all of the campus freebies and events that usually supply you with food, and are totally here for them. Public junior colleges are often called community colleges. This month, I finished my junior year of college at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. However, in the beginning of the school year, I decided I had to do something about it. "Just send my report card to my senior self." © 2020 Prep Expert. Well, I like to be a little more realistic: While all four years might not be amazing, you’ll probably get at least one really good year out of the four years of college. … Check out 6 important things to consider as you make that college list. 1 decade ago. Today was fun. Ask your professor for tips on how to get the most practical experience from your class projects. The application process is no walk in the park either. — Unknown, 14. There’s two that are missing in this pic but I love them. Four-year state colleges and the University of California system complete the public higher-education structure. Although many college students may view senior year as the time to start thinking like an adult, junior year is really the time to do it. Junior year of college is a lot like being the middle man on campus. Most community colleges charge nominal or no fees and tuition. My grades definitely took a hit my fall semester. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bachelors, Philosophy /Chemistry. I could always go to a few of them for deep conversations. I love them dearly and I don’t think I would have had the great experiences that I had without them. Consider using project assignments to benefit real organizations. The two-year junior or community college was introduced in California in 1907, and there are now more than 100 such colleges. This is precisely why so many APU students choose to stay connected with the school’s alumni program after graduation. Programs following the U.S. model have been introduced in other countries, including Canada, the Philippines, and Japan. Internships spots are competitive and employers choose wisely, so this isn’t something you can blow off until the last minute or breeze through in no time. Junior college, also called community college, educational institution that provides two years of academic instruction beyond secondary school, as well as technical and vocational training to prepare graduates for careers. You're not a freshman just getting started, or a senior wrapping up these golden years. By the late 20th century there were more than 1,200 junior colleges in the United States, with a total enrollment making up about 40 percent of all undergraduate enrollment in the nation. Public community colleges are usually controlled by local, municipal, or state governments. *flips wig*. As excited as I am for the future, I first wanted to take some time today to reflect on how this past school year was for me. In addition to academic subjects for undergraduates earning credits for graduation or for transfer to a four-year school, a typical community college catalog may offer instruction in such practical topics as auto repair, retirement planning, or computer skills. "That moment when you realize that you are nothing like your freshman self." You're not a freshman just getting started, or a senior wrapping up these golden years. Junior colleges usually also offer a variety of flexible programs that are nontraditional in style and content. freshman and sophomore year are more like general ed classes....general classes for college requirements. However, you need to make sure that regular class work and obligations don’t fall behind, or else your senior year will be tougher than necessary. …establishment and expansion of the junior college, which was conceived early in the century by William Rainey Harper, the first president of the University of Chicago. To see that I ended the class with an A- was icing on the cake. Otherwise, you will enter senior year with no preparation for the real world that is ever so quickly approaching you. — Unknown, 12. college, college advice, college life, junior year of college, learning, school, undergraduate. — Unknown, 18. Under its state-wide system that makes junior colleges branches of the state university, California enrolled in community colleges nearly half of all its college students. For me, that happened to be my junior year of college. — Unknown, 10. Possibly the biggest reason for all this is the fact that internship season is falling upon you. All rights reserved. Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article (requires login). "I know I'm supposed to wait my turn, but I'm ready RN!" "Let's just say that I am getting all of the campus freebies this year." October 14, 2012. junior and senior year are more of the specialized, upper level classes for your major. Maybe different collage has different system.But almost of collages can give the new student the foundation's courses to learn.The following year you can learn … "Today was good. If you haven’t had an internship already, the summer between junior and senior year is crucial for landing one. Click-worthy videos for any college student. Network with intent. It's the beginning of the end." — Unknown, 15. Four-year state colleges and the University of California system complete the public higher-education structure. Here are a few individuals to reach out to: Your friends count, too. Corrections? "Sorry for what I said when I was a junior." He was later influential in the establishment of junior colleges in Illinois and elsewhere. Picking up photography has been one of the coolest things I’ve done this year. If you do this now, you will have much more of a clear head senior year and not have to waste your final semesters of college completely panicked and rushing to figure things out. Colleges won't see your PSAT scores, but a good score on the exam can translate into thousands of dollars. — Unknown, 5. Let’s get started! Junior year is the time when you need to really begin looking at colleges and getting the whole application process rolling. The Ultimate Guide to the Comedy Genre (Best Books, Mov... 15 Extremely Cute Fall Nail Trends to Try This Year, 10 College YouTubers Who Inspire My Grind. "When you're a junior, you'll wish you were a senior. Though I haven’t been going regularly as of late, it was good for me to finally put my well-being first. You could use a junior year checklist for college prep. It’s crazy to think that I’ve completed three years of college and have one more to go. With only four semesters left, you’ll want to meet with your academic advisor to make sure you’re on the right path toward graduation.