Livestock, No reported toxicity to Members of the genus are notable for their solitary long-stemmed flowers that come in a variety of bright colors. The larger varieties are prone to mildew and loose their appeal quite fast. On Jan 17, 2004, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote: Although by the hot humid time of mid summer this plant's leaves are usually covered in mildew, the flowers are still a pretty addition to the garden. I also plant 2 shades of red, as well as a beautiful fusia variety that can range from very dark pink... read more to a deep rich purple. But there is another variety that I know is a zinnia but it does not have any petals. Don't crowd zinnias to keep them disease-free and avoid powdery mildew. Single varieties are attractive to pollinating insects, particularly hoverflies. To use the website as intended please  From the team at Gardeners' World Magazine. Common Zinnia (Zinnia elegans) is one of the most rewarding summer flowers with its brilliant colors and its profuse blooms over a lengthy season extending from early summer to frost. Dogs, No reported toxicity to Zinnia Elegans, known as common zinnia, is an old garden favorite with many cultivars available. The more you cut, the more flowers the plant will produce, hence the nickname "cut and come again", I had been seeing this plant growing along the road ... read more, I have literal swarms of honey bees yearly. Here this plant reseeds itself somewhat easily. across (12-15 cm), packed with brilliant coral petals. As the season winds down, leave some dry seed heads to re-seed if so you desire for the next season. Much like daisies, zinnias prefer to have full sunlight and adequate water. If you want bushier plants, remember to deadhead the plant when the first flower bud, almost always on top of the plant, emerges. Zinnias may be white, chartreuse, yellow, orange, red, purple, or lilac.[5]. Original and eye-catching, Zinnia elegans 'Pop Art White and Red' boasts large double flowers, up to 3 in. For spectacular drougth resistance try the smaller ones they do well and don't need to be deadheaded hardly at all. Plants will become lanky so do pinch back stems during early growth to promote bushiness of the plant. 1989. The powdery mildew common to zinnias in humid climates is less common in recently developed varieties, which are resistant. On Jul 26, 2009, Riverbum from Macon, GA wrote: I always knew these as "Old Maids" as I grew up, and it wasn't until we moved from Georgia to Kansas that I began to hear them called Zinnia. And once I know more about gardening, I am sure I will continue to have these in my yard! NC State University and N.C. A&T State University work in tandem, along with federal, state and local governments, to The hummingbirds loved them on the deck I think I will plant a couple of pots with the seed I collect this year.2003 Zinnia angustifolia is another Mexican species. I have taken the flower buds and a few inches of stem and disgarded the mildew and stuck this part of the plant in moist soil. One clump is planted in full sun in a very rocky spot of the garden.