Acantha was the nymph loved by Apollo. His name is derived from the Greek name Aison. However, Chiron was unique among the centaurs. Are Rotties name was Devo. Alone and in need of companions, Cadmus sought Athena’s help. His dog, Sirius, remained on Earth searching ceaselessly for his master. Some of the more famous heroes and demigods are also included for good measure.If you would prefer to have your deities sorted by gender, there are also lists of Greek Gods Only and Greek Goddesses Only. Now more of a unisex name, Hero was originally a lady with a very tragic story. Nike is a great name - I'm thinking that I would really like to call my next whippet Sirius, but of course hopefully that is a long long time off as I have two gorgeous whippets and that is enough for now! See also: The Reign of Thunder and Lightning: Olympus Under Zeus. The name Adrastos means, “not inclined to run away”. Adrasteia was another name of the Greek Goddess Nemesis. Perseus was a hero in the Greek legend. The Greek goddess of wisdom gives us one of the most red hot mythology names—Athena is currently just outside the top 100 names. Name your dog Achilles if you mourned the loss of a treasured companion before allowing a new canine companion in your life. So we might get a new male chihuahua. The name means ‘a body of water.’. Dionysus was the god of wine, which he invented. In ancient Greece Dionysus was honored with springtime festivals that centered on theater. Titan: The elder Gods, the Titans, predated the Olympians. A compromise was reached whereby Persephone would spend 4–6 months (depending on the version of the myth) with her mother, and the rest of the year in the underworld. Chico is the littlest one (in Spanish), a chihuahua. The Greeks created images of their deities for many purposes. The Oracle advised him to follow a cow with a white half moon marking on its rump. Damon is a God from the Greek mythology, who symbolized trust and loyalty in friendship. Love that you rounded this out with a little history and trivia on the names rather than just a list. I'm going to pick him up from the shelter here in a couple of days when they release him. This name generator will give you 10 names fit for most gods and deities in many fantasy stories. She was the Greek muse of history. Odysseus sheds a tear for his old friend as he passes, then Argos lays down his head and dies. Any suggestions? Looking for more gods and goddesses? She was captured by Achilles during the Trojan War. A rare but lovely name, Althea was a queen in Greek mythology, whose tragic story intertwined with her son's. His Roman counterpart is Mercury. Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on February 11, 2015: Hi Yoyo - that's a great name for a St. Bernard! Our editors update and regularly refine this enormous body of information to bring you reliable information. It was also the name of several other characters in Greek mythology. Barbara Fitzgerald (author) from Georgia on January 20, 2015: Hi Christy - thanks for visiting. He risked his life to stand for his friend. For this, Zeus singled out Atlas for the greatest punishment of all. Heracles' (Hercules') tenth labor involved the capture of the red cattle, and Heracles slew Orthrus, Eurytion, and Geryon to get them. This name did not appear in the most popular baby name list, since the past ten years , so it will probably make a unique name for your child. His symbols include the vulture and the dog, and he often carried a bloody spear. Lame as an adj. The continent of Europe is named after her. Aeson was Jason’s father. Aeolus. Notus: The stormy South wind that brings late summer and early autumn rains, Notus was said to dwell in Ethiopia, the Southernmost region of the mythical realm. Kallisto was a nymph whom Zeus loved. Her symbols include the peacock and the cow. Daphne was the daughter of the Greek river God. Selene was the Greek goddess of the moon. Pegasus assisted a number of heros in their conquests of monsters, including Perseus and Bellerophon. The Greek God, Hector was notable for being the greatest fighter for Troy in the Trojan War. This type of metaphorical lesson continues in the stories of the Bible, Shakespearian tragedies, and even into modern literature and art. As the second most valuable warrior in Agamemnon’s army (second only to Achilles), he is the only principal character in the Trojan War not to receive substantial help from the gods or be wounded in the battle. Zephyr was the son of Astraeus and Eos, the goddess of the dawn; he was the father of the spring flowers and Achilles’ immortal horses. Evander means ‘good man’. Furious and unaware that the dragon was a son of Ares, Cadmus slew the dragon. Apollo: Greek god of the healing arts, the god of light, god of foresight, the god of truth, and the god of music and musicians. Odysseus must remain undercover to deal with presumptuous suitors, and passes by without acknowledging Argos. The name Ajax is perfect if you are looking for a strong boy’s name. this website. The patron god of the “silver-swirling” Achelous River. It means ‘ram or male sheep’. Apollo was the son of Zeus and the Titan Leto, and the twin of Artemis. Troy: The high walled city that lay under siege for nine years during the Trojan War following the abduction of Helen. The following list of Greek Gods and Goddesses is a complete list of the major and minor deities of Greek mythology. Brontes was the name of the one of the three Cyclopes. Whenever a mortal (or god) exhibited hubris, thinking he or she was better than the gods, they inevitably would also experience a resulting tragedy. She married the god of wine, Dionysus. His temper affected the weather, and he threw thunderbolts when he was unhappy. Hera and Zeus. It's a top 30 baby name, which means "weaver.". Agamemnon was the brother of Menelaus, who led the Greek expedition to Troy to recover Helen. How to Interpret a Correlation Coefficient r, How to Translate a Website with Google Translate, How to Determine a p-Value When Testing a Null Hypothesis, Part of Mythology For Dummies Cheat Sheet. Ring a bell? Early Greek myths attribute his gentle nature and sophistication to his youthful tutelage under Apollo and Artemis. Her symbols include the myrtle tree and the dove. Seeking to make her son invulnerable, Thetis held him by his heel and dipped him in the river Styx. Dardanos was the name of Zeus and Electra’s son. Achilles: Achilles was the son of Thetis the beautiful nymph and Peleus the king of the Myrmidons. I just got a one yo puppy of Craiglist you can tell he has been abused his tail is broken in two parts and lots of cuts I will love this dog forever but he won't come to me he is so scared of people and I'm trying to find a perfect name for him and the only name that I can make up for him is Ven Aqui which means come here in Spanish,I am Spanish so I think it'll go with him.im always saying to him ven aqui so I think that he thinks that's his name. In the case of Cassandra, Apollo gave her the gift of foresight. While they ended in defeat, they did inflict heavy casualties on the Persians before their demise. Evadne was the wife of Capaneus, who was killed by a lightning bolt. The name Melain sounds magical, doesn’t it? Jayme Kinsey from Oklahoma on January 20, 2014: Cool hub! Hestia was the Goddess of the hearth and domestic activity in the Greek mythology. Astraea was the Greek Goddess of justice.