New York, NY, Sean Korb Even so, years of practicing Lent in this manner left me with the distinct impression that fasting is about self-denial. We work at the grassroots level throughout the Muslim World to counter violent extremism before it takes hold, to promote tolerance and understanding, and to foster better relations with the United States. AUA volunteers break fast at the Azrou Center (Photo Credit: Jayla Lundstrom). song she's most excited to sing: I really like the song “landed” - it’s a definite jam. BC '16, LSOE. Ideal date: I want to do something where there’s some structure, but not too much going on where you can’t talk. Kate Lueba ’14 –following graduation, joined DAI, a USAID Implementing Partner, serving in the Asia and MENA divisions, and currently serving as Associate Project Manager in DAI's Center for Secure and Stable States, overseeing a USAID program in Myanmar that focuses on the country's ongoing peace and reform processes. Meet Amber Glavine! She also takes immigration cases and has worked with the International Refugee Assistance Project ("IRAP") and Kids in Need of Defense ("KIND"). Worst class: I think my first honors seminar was the hardest. I have an internship at the State House in the office of higher ed. He has traveled to over 10 countries for work in South and Southeast Asia, including Afghanistan and specializes in democracy and governance and agriculture and food security programming. Needham, MA, Craig Noyes Slavic & Eastern Languages and Literatures. By Amber Glavine Amber Glavine is a rising senior at Boston College, where she studies Islamic Civilizations & Societies and Linguistics. Dorothy Smith Ohl ’09 – received her PhD in Political Science at George Washington University, focusing on military cohesion, military effectiveness, and social unrest. I asked my dad once, and he said that they didn’t know. Nathan DuBois '11 – received his Master’s of Development Policy from Korea Development Institute School of Public Policy and Management, and is currently employed at the U.S. Department of Defense, Chelsea Kress ’11 – is currently employed at the US State Department as a Foreign Affairs Officer. Currently, he is the Vice President of Marketing at EnergySage, a solar energy technology company backed by the U.S. Department of Energy. She is currently based in Cairo, Egypt and Washington D.C. working with the World Bank on poverty in Egypt. I accepted happily, eager for the chance to understand what seemed to me an irrational excitement. Thomas Michael Glavine was created in Concord, Massachusetts in March 1966. ), Greg Fortunato Her dissertation draws on more than 100 interviews with soldiers and conflict witnesses to explain military defection patterns amid unrest in Jordan (1970), Iraq (1991), and Syria (2011). Masters Student (International Relations), University of Chicago ( Log Out /  Baj Ahtchi ’12 – is currently a PhD candidate at the William E. Boeing School of Aeronautics & Astronautics at the University of Washington. When he records an album, he plays every instrument and does it all himself. Also cute, that’s important too. The sense of solidarity that comes along with Ramadan is beautiful. Amber Glavine ’17 – is pursuing her Master's degree in Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University. Higher Education Administrator, Boston College Instead, there was an increased sense of joy that reminded me far more of Christmas than of the somberness of Lent. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! PhD Student (Psychology), Boston College Where we’ll most likely find you on campus: The Band Room, or in my room - when I don’t have something going on, I’m definitely sleeping! Ed Golden ’11 – graduated from Harvard University class in 2013 with a Masters in Middle Eastern Studies, and is currently an engagement manager with Mercer. I would start simply by asking, “Are you excited about Ramadan?” Invariably, the response was an enthusiastic yes, and my conversation partners would happily describe to me the special place that Ramadan held in their hearts. Amber has… After being here and experiencing Ramadan for myself, I can understand why. Tom Glavine Wiki Biography. She worked as a consultant at Deloitte Consulting. He played as a pitcher for teams like Atlanta Braves and New York Mets. This sophomore from Atlanta is not only the sweetest girl ever, but she has the voice of an angel! Far from being the burdensome experience that I’d imagined, Ramadan is seen as a time of freedom – freedom from sin and temptation. Dream job: In a perfect world, I’d be a Grammy award wining recording artist/secretary of state. Instead, they feel excessively blessed. My professor is such a kindred spirit - he’s a weird guy - and he talks about whatever he feels like that day.