While not as widely seen as The Wise Kids due to an initial lack of distribution,[10] the film garnered praise from Newcity's Ray Pride[11] and Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune, who gave the film 3½ out of 4 stars and called it "a worthy follow-up to Cone's previous film. Feature and Best Screenplay at Outfest. |  They sound similar, but each serves different populations—though there can be some overlap. With Princess Cyd, Tyler Ross has now played in three of your films, and I’ve seen Sadie Rogers in everything except Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party. His film The Wise Kids won the Outfest Grand Jury Awards for US Feature and Screenwriting in 2011 and was a New York Times Critics Pick. I think of you as an actor’s director, in that you seem to value developed characters over intricate plotting or heavy philosophical concepts. Medicare is complicated, but experts can walk you through the process of choosing the best plan for you. In Memoriam was bombing with festival programmers. Stephen Cone (born August 10, 1980) is a Chicago-based self-taught filmmaker. Stephen Cone is a Chicago-based filmmaker whose films include Princess Cyd (BFI London Film Festival, BAMcinemaFest) and Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party (BAMcinemaFest, Maryland Film Festival), both of which are currently streaming on Netflix, as well as the Outfest-winning, New York Times Critics Pick The Wise Kids, which can be found streaming on Hulu. Would you say that people are the subject you’re most interested in exploring through your work? With the critical success of Princess Cyd and your recent profile in the Los Angeles Times, it seems like you’re finally starting to break out of the indie world and into the mainstream. Shop around, ask about cash discounts and consider community health centers and free clinics. It also garnered praise from Roger Ebert,[6] Variety's Robert Koehler,[7] and Stephen Holden of The New York Times. Until now, your films have focused primarily on the experiences of youth and coming of age, but Princess Cyd seems like a departure in that you’ve devoted almost equal screen time to the subject of late-middle age in the character of Miranda Ruth. This is what Blockers understands: that the soul is contained within the body, and that spiritual health starts with a deep-seated faith in the beauty and power of one’s own vessel. Art films seemingly tailor-made for me left me cold while genre trash and cash grabs I expected to hate had me floating. And, for this viewer, at least, the strangeness extended to film. But I love Chicago and hope to film here again as soon as possible. You don’t know where the body stops and the spirit starts in his films. But so many comedies want to have their cake and eat it, too. Annie May Swift Hall1920 Campus DriveRoom G08Evanston, IL 60208. Coronavirus may cause heart inflammation, which can lead to serious heart disease. There’s no easy answer, but knowing your options can help. What was it like to get such highly sought praise so early in your career? Yes, but I also have a profound interest in film form and am terrifically bored by films which seem to have come about by simply setting up a camera in order to capture performances. It has a sixtysomething female photographer at its center. At this point, a bot could write the thinkpiece and we wouldn’t know the difference, even as we nodded affirmatively. Though this philosophy, from the Blockers Bible, may not seem entirely compatible with the traditional Christian value of abstinence, the movie itself becomes largely, and beautifully, about saving oneself for the right person. ( Log Out /  The choice of music in your films has always fascinated and surprised me. [8][9] It was subsequently released on cable/VOD and DVD by Wolfe Video.[9]. His parents, Frank and Judy, a pastor and retired high school music teacher, respectively, reside in Charleston, SC. Other films include Black Box (Devolver Digital), This Afternoon and In Memoriam (Vimeo). You’ve cited John Cassavetes, Jean Renoir, the aforementioned Jonathan Demme, Terence Davies, Sofia Coppola, Terrence Malick, and a gamut of contemporary French directors as major influences on your work. Make masks, hand hygiene, toilet lids and paper towels part of your prevention arsenal. Where can reconciliation be found? © 2020 Talkhouse, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Previously, his film Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party, also streaming on Netflix, was featured in The New York Times “Anatomy of a Scene” series, screened within BAMcinemaFest, and was the winner of the Silver Q Hugo Award at the 2015 Chicago International Film Festival. We’ve published patient experience ratings for Dr. Dr. Stephen M. Cone office is located at 7900 Fannin St Ste 4000, Houston, TX. Even though it screened publicly, The Mystery of Life never technically had a completed sound design, but it remains by far the most experimental thing I’ve ever done and is kind of a trip so maybe I’ll dig back in when I get a moment. These ratings are not intended as indicators of medical quality — how good a provider is — but rather reflect patients' feedback on factors such as good communication, clarity of instructions, etc. Sometimes, a cancer diagnosis can make people feel robbed of a voice in their treatment decisions. Affiliation usually means this doctor has admitting privileges at that hospital. In the meantime, a modest film comedy like Blockers, perhaps even unbeknownst to its own makers (but likely not), seems to me to dig deeper into The Problem and come closer to a solution for the nation’s bloody ailment than any op-ed that’s ever flown across my many screens. I’ve always been a fan of mixing and matching music in films—and I’m a fan of filmmakers like Claire Denis and Jonathan Demme and Arnaud Desplechin and Olivier Assayas and Stanley Kubrick who used music in a similarly wild way. (Photo credit: Brian Cassella, Chicago Tribune). Stephen Cone is a South Carolina-raised, Chicago-based filmmaker whose feature Princess Cyd recently appeared on Vanity Fair's Ten Best Films of the 2010s after appearing on multiple Best of 2017 lists including IndieWire, Vulture, Vanity Fair, Vox and NPR and screening at dozens of festivals worldwide including the BFI London Film Festival, BAMcinemaFest, Frameline and Maryland Film Festival. If you were to name just a handful of films that have had the greatest effect on you as an artist and a person, what would they be? What is it about these subjects that keeps attracting you artistically? Pharmacist-Recommended Drug & Device Brands, Specialty / Subspecialties: Obstetrics & Gynecology / General Obstetrics & Gynecology, Myths and Facts: Exercising While Pregnant, 8 Tips for Running Safely and Comfortably (Enough) While Pregnant, The Best and Worst Exercises for Pregnant Women, When choosing a provider, it can be helpful to review other patients' experiences. Let us know if this information is out of date or incorrect. On Youth and Arrogance, and 25 Years of Mineral. The year 2018 was the most topsy turvy – politically, socially, culturally – in my memory. I first discovered your work, I imagine like many others, through the critic Roger Ebert, who was an early advocate of your films, specifically In Memoriam and The Wise Kids. Three fortysomething parents discover that their daughters are planning to lose their virginity on prom night and set out to stop them. Disclaimer and a note about your health », Lacie Glover and David LevineOct. Dr. Stephen M. Cone is an obstetrician-gynecologist in Houston, Texas and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area. Since its release, the film has been met with widespread critical acclaim—by far the most successful of the director’s short career. Obstetricians/gynecologists (OB-GYNs) specialize in the woman's reproductive tract, pregnancy and childbirth. I, to this day, do not know why he reviewed that film, and I can’t believe he actually liked it. The two ideas at the front of my mind right now take place in the south and Malibu, respectively. You hear “Yanny,” I hear “Laurel.” Good Morning America turned into The Twilight Zone. It was acquired for distribution by Wolfe Releasing and is now streaming on Hulu. With Tyler, he feels like a little brother to me, and he’s a great actor, so I like the idea of continuing to use him. Stephen Cone is a South Carolina-raised, Chicago–based filmmaker whose feature Princess Cyd has appeared on multiple Best of 2017 lists including Vanity Fair, IndieWire, Vulture, Vox, and NPR, played dozens of festivals worldwide including the BFI London Film Festival, BAMcinemaFest, Frameline, and Maryland Film Festival, was acquired for distribution by Wolfe Releasing, and You seem to cull from an eclectic set of artists, which has included Enya, Duran Duran, Night Gallery—I even heard a bit of Vaughan Williams’s Tallis Fantasia in Princess Cyd. In 2013, Cone released his fourth theatrical film Black Box. Here we talk about Princess Cyd, actor collaborations, and what the future will bring for the writer/director as he steps out of indie obscurity and into the national spotlight. ( Log Out /  Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Learn more about patient experience ratings », Previous patients' satisfaction in their perception of the thoroughness of the examination they received from this physician, Previous patients' assessment of this physician's ability to answer all of their questions, Previous patients' satisfaction in the clarity of this physician's instructions for taking care of their health condition, Previous patients' satisfaction of the followup care they received from this physician and responsiveness to their concerns, Previous patients' satisfaction with the time this physician spent with them during appointments, Previous patients' assessment of this physician's friendliness and caring attitude, Please verify your coverage with the provider's office directly when scheduling an appointment, 7900 Fannin St Ste 4000, Houston, TX, 77054. What is it about specific actors that draws you back to them? I’m currently planning to shoot a large Southern family drama in the Carolinas this coming summer. I have little interest in making a coming-of-age film about teenagers exclusively. Video games, mental illness. I don’t know, I just take it on a film-by-film basis.