Or write about sports?

Then they all sat around and listened to Calhoun’s dad, Willie Calhoun Sr., regale them with tales of his work as a security officer at San Quentin State Prison.

That Calhoun seemed to take this to heart moved Woodward.

Evan has covered the Rangers since 1997. (Age 22-312d, us. Positions: Second Baseman and Leftfielder Bats: Left • Throws: Right 5-8, 200lb (173cm, 90kg) . We care about the game, but my focus was on the player. Copyright © 2020 The Dallas Morning News. Let's not discuss the cat. “My message to him was everybody is supporting you,” Woodward said. [19] Calhoun hit .265/.324/.353/.677 with a home run and 4 RBI in 13 games in 2017.

Gallo diverted, drove 45 minutes down to Phoenix and sat with a guy who has become perhaps his closest friend on the team in the last 12 months. Then he banged his hands together like he was about to hit. Calhoun would finish the 2019 season batting .269/.323/.524/.848 with 21 home runs and 48 RBI in 83 games.[26]. (22-38, 5th place in AL West), Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Saturday, October 17, 2:04AM. All rights reserved.

All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. Pre-Arb Eligible, Service Time (01/2020): 1.033 Calhoun will open the season on the injured list, and Nick Solak will be the left fielder.

Much of the play-by-play, game results, and transaction information both shown and used to create certain data sets was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by RetroSheet. Wilson Calhoun, Eliza Calhoun (born Alford). Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Last spring, reliever Luke Farrell took a line drive off the face late in a spring training game at Scottsdale that, fortunately enough, was across the street from a hospital. Calhoun was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 17th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft out of Benicia High School in Benicia, California.

[1] He did not sign and attended the University of Arizona to play college baseball. The Rangers won’t know about a concussion until he’s more alert; He was mostly sedated Sunday. All rights reserved. [22] He was reactivated from the IL on June 17[23] but was optioned back to Triple-A Nashville on July 16 after hitting .225/.267/.408/.675 in second stint in order to clear a spot for All-Star OF/DH Hunter Pence on the roster. His passions outside of covering baseball are his wife, Gina, his two step kids, two crazy dogs & barbecue. [17][18] He was promoted to the major leagues for the first time on September 12, 2017. With heavy hearts, we announce the death of Willie Ann Calhoun of Conway, South Carolina, who passed away on September 18, 2020 at the age of 90. Find out more. ... Parents Face Murder Charge in Death of Girl With Severe Lice; 2 Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love. Full-year historical Major League statistics provided by Pete Palmer and Gary Gillette of Hidden Game Sports.

We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Willie Calhoun did not. “That’s how he is as a person. And, yeah, the baseball part was all really secondary Monday.

Are you a Stathead, too?

Rangers outfielder Willie Calhoun 'doing well’ after undergoing surgery to repair fractured jaw Chris Woodward left the game to accompany Calhoun to the hospital, showing who he is as a person. “I got pretty emotional on the field at that moment,” Woodward said. “It just speaks to who he is,” said bench coach Don Wakamatsu. They spent much of the evening there with Calhoun’s parents and his girlfriend, Kaitlin Faber. Woodward and GM Jon Daniels drove to the hospital Sunday. He says it can be this team’s biggest asset.

Copyright: © 2020 ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. Daniels and medical director Jamie Reed were there along with Calhoun’s parents, Willie Sr. and Monica, and his girlfriend Kaitlin Faber. He earned MVP honors in the Fall Stars Game for top prospects playing in the league when he went 3 for 3 with a homer in the game. In 2019, Calhoun was optioned to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds to open the season. Copyright © 2000-2020 Sports Reference LLC.

You can’t watch a player so invested into your approach he overhauled his body and his philosophy crumple to the ground in frightening pain after being crushed by a fastball and not do something. [7], To start the 2016 season, he was promoted to the Double-A Tulsa Drillers of the Texas League. Subscribe to our Free Newsletter, This Month in Sports ReferenceFind out when we add a feature or make a change.

"Benicia High grad Calhoun taken by Tampa Bay Rays in baseball draft", "Benicia High graduate Willie Calhoun putting up big numbers for Yavapai", "Benicia High School graduate Willie Calhoun selected by the Dodgers in MLB draft", "Raptors' Calhoun plates career-high five", "Dodgers promote infield prospect Willie Calhoun from Great Lakes", "Willie Calhoun Register statistics & history", "Alex Verdugo, Willie Calhoun among 9 Texas League All-Stars for Double-A Tulsa", "Jharel Cotton, Willie Calhoun named to 2016 MLB Futures Game rosters", "Chase De Jong named Texas League Pitcher of the Year", "Dodgers prospect Willie Calhoun not short on confidence", "Willie Calhoun, Cody Bellinger each homer in Fall Stars Game", "Dodgers: Prospect Willie Calhoun showing progress in field, at plate", "OKC Dodgers Release 2017 Opening Day Roster", "Willie Calhoun, Alex Verdugo lead 4 Oklahoma City All-Stars", "Dodgers get Yu, relief, dazzle at Deadline", "Yu Darvish Traded to Dodgers from Rangers for Willie Calhoun, A.J. In 2014, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League.

I wanted him to know he was loved.”.

[11] In 132 games for the Drillers, he hit .254 with 27 homers and 88 RBI. Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. Woodward would really rather not talk about all this. But he does want the players to care about one another. Some high school data is courtesy David McWater. Arb Eligible: 2022 “There is something about what Willie has done the last two years that has deeply affected me. You can’t preach the idea of team as family and not live it. And I want him here.”, Hey guys, just want to thank everyone for your prayers, I just got out of surgery and I’m doing well. [3] Calhoun signed with Kansas State University out of junior college, but elected to sign a professional contract with the Dodgers. Willie Calhoun (Willie Shawn Lamont Calhoun) - alle Infos zum Sportler Auch auf dieser Seite werden Cookies verwendet.

In two weeks, the Rangers will reassess the situation. “We do care about our guys. He will undergo further testing when he’s more alert. Mostly what Woodward did was simply be present. I didn’t want to be [at the game]. And so, there is just a little more to this story because, as Woodward says, it’s ultimately about the players being there for one another.

The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. In 108 games with the Triple-A Round Rock Express, he hit .294/.351/.431/.782 with 9 home runs and 47 RBI. It meant a lot to me, but probably even more to my family.”, “This is how engaged he is,” Elvis Andrus said Monday. Calhoun was connected to tubes as a precaution and couldn’t speak, but he typed out answers to questions. In 2014, he played collegiate summer baseball with the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod Baseball League. It’s not about him or his actions, he will say. Rougned Odor strikes out swinging. He is genuine.

[2] After one year at Arizona he transferred to Yavapai College. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. 19,172nd in MLB history) SURPRISE, Ariz. — Chris Woodward is drawn to T-shirts that say things like “Positive Vibes Only,” and can occasionally be so over-effusive in his praise of a player that one could wonder if it’s all an effort to create an image. Evan graduated from Georgia State University, but oddly is a Georgia fan. Why can’t we accomplish a national census without partisan manipulation?