Pay Zero Interest Until 2023 With These Credit Cards. I always felt this would be my last Origin series.". “I had a fair indication that the World Cup last year would be the last time I played for Australia, it’s been on my mind for a while, I always felt this would be my last Origin series. He felt Slater, at age 34, was entitled to call his own shots after a decorated career for Queensland and Australia. In a game Slater had given so much, the injury toll was threatening to take something away from him which he would never get back. Billy Slater announces that he will retire from representative Rugby League at the end of this Origin series during a Queensland Maroons State of Origin media opportunity on May 29, 2018 in Brisbane,... Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images Now that mantle must pass on as the NRL salutes one of its all-time greats, an illustrious, pocket-sized fullback whose exploits will live long in the memory. He bows out with a bulging trophy cabinet that includes two NRL premierships, two Clive Churchill Medals, a Dally M Medal and two Wally Lewis Medals - the latest from this year's State of Origin series. "He didn't just rely on god-given talents, he made himself better through hard work. "He changed the way fullbacks play the game and for Queensland to have a player like Billy Slater over the last 15 years has been a dream for all Queenslanders. But after a stellar 2017 when he won a premiership, a State of Origin series and a World Cup, he can now go out without any regrets. 'It's been a great ride,' Slater said at a packed press conference flanked by coach Kevin Walters. It would be three years before Queensland would see Slater in an Origin jumper, and in the interim Slater endured a quiet year, copping three suspensions in the 2006 season, and playing just 15 matches for the Storm. ", The 'two families' tugging at Addo-Carr's heartstrings, Bellamy and Smith explain emotional scenes, Cameron Smith's try saver in all its glory, Slater reflects on what could be Smith's farewell, Rise of Paps 'for all the little blokes out there', You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content, Cleary addresses players as Tigers discuss compensation option.

The Slater retirement announcement overshadowed Greg Inglis’ first scheduled media appearance as Queensland captain.

"I had a fair indication that the World Cup last year would be the last time I played for Australia. "I supported a lot of players but he was definitely one of them because he was such a great outside back," Addo-Carr said. NRL Finals Wk 3 teams: Munster named to play, Six Again: Cook's miraculous knee carrying the Bunnies, Rabbitohs overpower Eels in NRL semifinal, Six Again: Rule clarity needed urgently for fans, Rabbitohs end Knights' season with commanding win, Injured Cook leads Souths to NRL finals win, Storm blow away Eels for spot in preliminary finals, Munster hurt as Storm eclipse Eels in NRL, Raiders take down Sharks in elimination final, Panthers survive Roosters scare for preliminary finals spot, Cleary leads Penrith to win over Roosters. "The decision has been with me for a while now," he said. Source: News Corp Australia “The guys that have gone last year (Thurston and Cronk) and Cam’s decision had no bearing for me. Sport Rugby League Billy Slater to retire from State of Origin 11:42am, May 29, 2018 Billy Slater has been part of Queensland's unprecedented Origin success, but this year's series will be his last. NRL Round Table: Will SBW make an impact for Roosters? ", "This game has given me everything, I am forever in debt to it. With 18-8 lead, Manly had everything under control until the last 25 minutes when Roosters made a stunning comeback to win the final for the first time since 2002. "I wasn't ready to finish then and now my body is still allowing me to play at this standard ... but I would hate to get halfway through a year and lose that and want to put my body on the line 100 per cent. Bellamy said Slater should be remembered as the game's best ever fullback. By 2003, he was making his debut in a stunning arrival for the Storm, scoring a try on the wing as the Melbourne side came from 22-0 down against Cronulla to prevail 36-32. NRL Round Table: What does the future hold for Wests Tigers? In one of the most controversial moment in NRL history, Bulldogs’ James Graham (R) bit the ear of Storm’s Billy Slater (L), for which the former received a 12-match ban. "When you think Billy Slater you think tough, you think resilient and all the Origin things that you need to be at the level of, not just an Origin player, but one who has dominated the arena for so many years. In 2002, he rocked up to Melbourne Storm preseason with the hope he could snare one of just two spots left on the roster. The winning goal was scored by Johnathan Thurston (R), who was awarded the Clive Churchill medal. Slater featured in 21 matches for the Storm, notching 11 tries and playing his part in 19 wins — a phenomenal 90 per cent win rate. Instead of reducing the pain it numbed his leg completely. Storm won the game 20-18. "Not only have you guys created opportunities for me on the field, but when your peers drive themselves to be the best and they continually succeed - that's infectious," Slater said. The injection went in where the nerves shouldn't have been. The final also saw Steven Menzies equal Terry Lamb's record of 349 first-grade games. It's been on my mind for a while. Since 1971, Rabbitohs won their first ever title with the help of Sam Burgess’ (pictured) incredible performance that earned him the Clive Churchill Medal. In first NRL final that ended in a draw, North Queensland claimed victory over Brisbane 17-16 in golden point extra time. Slater's looming departure confirms the end of an era for Queensland, Slater made his Origin debut in 2004 and has been a major cog in the all-conquering Maroons machine that has taken out 11 of the last 12 series (pictured with wife Nicole).

"At the moment I'm still willing to do that. From then on, Slater was permanently ensconced in rugby league's attentions. While Bellamy has recommitted to the Storm, Smith is considering a one-year offer but regardless Slater felt the future was bright. In the 1970 final between South Sydney Rabbitohs and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, South’s captain John Sattler turned out to be a star player.

“Everyone would remember Billy’s great Origin try and that makes kids want to be like Billy Slater. Now he has turned his attention to playing in a winning series and mentoring the next generation of Maroons in the wake of the retirements of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston. As we head into the final State of Origin match for the 2018 series, we pay tribute to Queensland fullback, Billy Slater, who will retire from representative duties. "I'm 35 this year. After making a solid debut in State of Origin Game I, the phenom would ignite in Game II, scoring one of the all-time great individual tries to help level the series for Queensland. 'I was able to fulfil a childhood dream.'. Slater said he was yet to decide whether he would play on for the Storm beyond the expiry of his current contract at the end of 2018. That season, it was like he never left.