APOLLO 11 Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. “If Beale Street Could Talk” won the best feature film trophy this year and “Get Out” won in 2018. Jocelyn Deboer, Dawn Luebbe – GREENER GRASS "I liked to also give a shout out to my fellow nominees who will now and forever be known as the guys to lost to motherfucking Adam Sandler," he said while on stage. Spirit Awards nominations are selected by a 50-member-plus committee and the awards are voted on by Film Independent’s 6,000-plus members. Their handsome good looks will fade in time, while our independent personalities will shine on forever!”, Uncut Gems also won high honors with Best Director going to Benny and Josh Safdie, who gave overlapping acceptance speeches in another priceless moment from the stage. Uncut Gems did not get any acknowledgement from the Academy this morning, which has caused an uproar on social media. Uncut Gems was a big winner at this year's Spirit Awards, nabbing Best Director (Josh Safdie and Benny Safdie) and Best Editing (Ronald Bronstein and Benny Safdie). NEW YORK -- Josh and Benny Safdie’s Diamond District crime film “Uncut Gems” and Robert Eggers’ fever-dream period tale “The Lighthouse” led the 35th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards with five nods each, in nominations announced Thursday in Los Angeles. A HIDDEN LIFE Adam Sandler had the perfect response to his Academy Award nomination snub for Uncut Gems.He even gave The Waterboy Mama actress Kathy Bates a … Our editorial content is not influenced by any commissions we receive. Robert Eggers – THE LIGHTHOUSE Perhaps it stands out on its own for its innate listenability. '”, Snubbed by Oscars, Adam Sandler wins big at Independent Spirit Awards for. Mollye Asher With Adam Sandler, Julia Fox, Idina Menzel, Mesfin Lamengo. Jonathan Majors – THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO Zazie Beetz and Natasha Lyonne announced the nominees for the 2020 Film Independent Spirit Awards on Thursday morning at The Line LA. The high school sophomore quarterback has the game to live up to his famous name. He did, however, appreciate all of the support from fans and accolades from critics.

“Give Me Liberty” was released in July and has generated $609,000 at the worldwide box office. INVISIBLE LIFE, Brazil But it’s also legitimately a really good movie, I think. I guess we’ll need to wait and see what becomes of it.

Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. And tonight, as I look around this room, I realize the Independent Spirit Awards are the best personality of Hollywood.

Sandler tipped his hat to them, too, during his speech. Adam Sandler – UNCUT GEMS Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside – AMÉRICA, Annual Bonnie Award Matthias Schoenaerts – THE MUSTANG, Best Supporting Female Uncut Gems isn’t an Academy darling examining the frailty of the human condition or a big-budget war movie. Adam Sandler: Uncut Gems actor issues message to 'mean' critics during hilarious speech at awards ceremony. Aubrey and I did a movie entitled Funny People 11 years ago. Adam Sandler Wears Golf Muumuu to Premiere of New Film 'Fart Vacation' pic.twitter.com/QHZDArGn0D. In the prior four years, “Moonlight,” “Spotlight,” “Birdman” and “12 Years a Slave” won both the Spirit Award and the Oscar for best picture. Bates got an unexpected nomination from the Academy for her performance as Bobi Jewell in Clint Eastwood's controversial Richard Jewell. Sandler, who had never received a Spirit Award nomination prior to Uncut Gems, beat out Chris Galust for Give Me Liberty, Kelvin Harrison Jr. for Luce, Robert Pattinson for The Lighthouse, and Matthias Schoenaerts The Mustang. At its heart, Uncut Gems is utterly predictable. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Cookies help us deliver our Services. It also helps consistently build tension with its unsettling, Gregorian chant-esque electronica that punctuates each scene with an ever-present feeling that something is about to go horribly wrong. Uncut Gems also won high honors with Best Director going to Benny and Josh Safdie, who gave overlapping acceptance speeches in another priceless … Renée Zellweger – JUDY, Best Male Lead