When Scythrop grew up, he was sent, as usual, to a public school, where a little learning was painfully beaten into him, and from thence to the university, where it was carefully taken out of him. what men be ye? “Nightmare Abbey”, p.5, Thomas Love Peacock (1856). They carried a net, and their hearts were set Gotham's three Wise Men we be. I never failed to convince … “The Works of Thomas Love Peacock: Including His Novels, Poems, Fugitive Pieces, Criticisms, Etc”, Thomas Love Peacock (1818). Thomas Love Peacock-+ +1. More Thomas Love Peacock quote about: Time, Wine, “I never failed to convince an audience that the best thing they could do was to go away.” -- Thomas Love Peacock . To have a reason for being so would be exceedingly commonplace: to be so without any is the province of genius.”, “Tea, late dinners and the French Revolution. His cold and sapless hand Waves o'er the world, and beckons us away. The juice of the grape is the liquid quintessence of concentrated sunbeams. I almost think it is the ultimate destiny of science to exterminate the human race. How troublesome is day!” -- Thomas Love Peacock, “Death comes to all. You call this a paradox. The bowl goes trim. “Selections from Thomas Love Peacock”, Thomas Love Peacock, Herbert Francis Brett Brett-Smith (1921). Thomas Love Peacock-+ +1. Thomas Love Peacock-+ 0 Marriage may often be a stormy lake, but celibacy is almost always a muddy horse pond. A little further development of the same wisdom and science will complete the poisoning of the air, and kill the dwellers on the banks. I almost think it is the destiny of science to exterminate the human race. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The waste of plenty is the resource of scarcity. We see masters, where they saw representatives. His cold and sapless hand Waves o'er the world, and beckons us away. . We have sufficient proofs on record that Shakespeare and Socrates were the most festive companions.” -- Thomas Love Peacock, “My quarrel with him is, that his works contain nothing worth quoting; and a book that furnishes no quotations, is me judice, no book,—it is a plaything.” -- Thomas Love Peacock, “But though first love's impassioned blindness Has passed away in colder light, I still have thought of you with kindness, And shall do, till our last goodnight. You must be the change you wish to see in the world. Born: 1785. Long night succeeds thy little day;Oh blighted blossom! I almost think it is the ultimate destiny of science to exterminate the human race. To rake the moon from out the sea. “The Works of Thomas Love Peacock: Poems and plays. Who shall resist the summons?” -- Thomas Love Peacock, “Laughter is pleasant, but the exertion at my age is too much for me.” -- Thomas Love Peacock, “The mountain sheep are sweeter, But the valley sheep are fatter. They saw Milton, and we see Mr. Sackbut.”, “She discovered, when it was too late, that she had mistaken the means for the end—that riches, rightly used, are instruments of happiness, but are not in themselves happiness.”, “I perceive , Sir , you are one of those who love an authority more than a reason”, “I contrive to get through my day by sinking the morning in bed, and killing the evening in company; dressing and dining in the intermediate space, and stopping the chinks and crevices of the few vacant moments that remain with a little easy reading. We see prisons, where they saw castles. English Author. Death comes to all. Thomas Love Peacock quotes Showing 1-26 of 26. Best ★Thomas Love Peacock★ quotes at QUOTES.AS. We see five thousand in the workhouse, where they saw one. Lady Clarinda, in Crotchet Castle, ch. The highest wisdom and the highest genius have been invariably accompanied with cheerfulness. We see five hundred transported, where they saw one. Marriage may often be a stormy lake, but celibacy is almost always a muddy horse pond. I hold that there is every variety of natural capacity from the idiot to Newton and Shakespeare; the mass of mankind, midway between these extremes, being blockheads of different degrees; education leaving them pretty nearly as it found them, with this single difference, that it gives a fixed direction to their stupidity, a sort of incurable wry neck to the thing they call their understanding. Here you will find all the famous Thomas Love Peacock quotes. Nothing can be more obvious than that all animals were created solely and exclusively for the use of man. Welcome back. Tweet +1. Thomas Love Peacock (1785–1866) was an English novelist and poet. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. A book that furnishes no quotations is no book - it is a plaything. We have sufficient proofs on record that Shakespeare and Socrates were the most festive companions. We have collected all of them and made stunning Thomas Love Peacock wallpapers & posters out of those quotes. I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Thomas Love Peacock (1785–1866) was an English novelist and poet. The Great Mogul has taken lodgings at Kensington, and the external part of the ear is a cartilaginous funnel.”, “He had some taste for romance reading before he went to the university, where, we must confess, in justice to his college, he was cured of the love of reading in all its shapes; and the cure would have been radical, if disappointment in love, and total solitude, had not conspired to bring on a relapse.”, “The critic does his utmost to blight genius in his infancy.”, “Surely not without reason, when pirates, highwaymen, and other varieties of the extensive genus Marauder, are the only beau ideal of the active, as splenetic and railing misanthropy is of the speculative energy.”, “There is a time for every thing under the sun. 3 (1831). "The waste of plenty is the resource of..." - Thomas Love Peacock quotes from BrainyQuote.com We therefore deemed it meeter To carry off the latter.”, “The truth, I am convinced, is that there is no longer a poetical audience among the higher class of minds, that moral, political, and physical science have entirely withdrawn from poetry the attention of all whose attention is worth having; and that the poetical reading public being composed of the mere dregs of the intellectual community, the most sufficing passport to their favour must rest on the mixture of a little easily-intelligible portion of mawkish sentiment with an absolute negation of reason and knowledge.”, “The highest wisdom and the highest genius have been invariably accompanied with cheerfulness. Browning's Essay on Shelley. Every day we present the best quotes! Share. 1. You may as well dine first, and be miserable afterwards.”, “Mr Flosky suddenly stopped: he found himself unintentionally trespassing within the limits of common sense.”, “What do we see by [our enlightened age] which our ancestors saw not, and which at the same time is worth seeing? . Thomas Love Peacock (1928). Waves o'er the world, and beckons us away. How troublesome is day! Gotham's three Wise Men we be. I never failed to convince an audience that the best thing they could do was to go away. Not much.