I loved Tristram's trek thru degenerating England, the slow sprawl of history, moving from extreme police states on opposite poles of the structure. And Burgess' novel The Wanting Seed will not let you down in that fashion. And how one can never give up trying to pursue what they believe in... especially love. You can send us an email to info@sensiseeds.com (don't forget to note TRUSTPILOT and your order number has twelve digits in the subject bar of your email). 1.0 out of 5 stars Goofy, silly, and disappointing. Mr. Burgess owes much to other satirists of man's eventual fate. Sometimes author’s creative output is limited and maybe that’s the case. But that’s not really what happens. Read More, " I honestly can't tell if this is a rubbish sci-fi novel or brilliant Vogon poetry. But Burgess, to his credit, was not afraid to confront the ups and downs of his own ideology alongside those of his opponents. His starting pace is fast and pointed, but this slows to a crawl when wit becomes predictable silliness and when his characters go from hungry flesh to cardboard. ( Log Out /  Reading his novels is like living in a world with only two choices possible for every question of self, civi. " Food is rationed, families may have only one child, if any, media is controlled. Read Full Review, " starting in a society where people believe that everyone is good and punishments are lite because they think people will learn. | People are drafted into a milit. Religion. Consequently it fails at both. The last half of the book is kind of an interesting sociological exploration of how the world moves through the liberal/conservative/military cycle. She also beds down with her brother-in-law, who only pretends homosexuality, in order to get ahead. I enjoyed this alright, but I would have preferred stronger characterizations or at least some growth. I think conservatives such as Burgess may have a better grasp on this fact than many modern liberals. Click to read more about Editions: The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess. Cannibalism. ( Log Out /  5.0 out of 5 stars The Wanting Seed. Magazine Subscribers (How to Find Your Reader Number). It’s free and takes less than 10 seconds! A Clockwork Orange is one of the "100 best novels" of both Time magazine and Modern Library and is on David Bowie's Book List. How does Amazon calculate star ratings? It read as a lot of homophobia and yelling about how population control goes against god’s plan and going against god’s plan sends the plagues. Wanting that “up” feeling? We’re glad you found a book that interests you! London, far in the unwholesome future, has a totally-directed society where miscegenation has ruined Anglo-Saxon ways and features; where homosexuality is the official order-of-the-day and where insistent heterosexuals are kept to a low quota for reproduction. A compelling love story, showing the bonds between family. The Wanting Seed opens with its main character, a teacher named Tristram, lecturing to a class of disinterested primary school students about the cyclical nature of history. If it does not always work out like that in practice, if a few people hog the vast majority of the profits, well, that’s just all the more incentive to work hard, to do whatever you have to do to get whatever reward you can scrounge! Her defiant gesture of bearing twins sets off a whirl in the cycle of history. Orwell meet Burgess, Burgess meet Orwell. Use the tools below to refine your search by only displaying reviews with a certain number of star ratings or to only show reviews from a certain time period. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. If I have to work an extra two hours a day to make a little extra, I’ll do it, but if I have to work an extra four hours, I’ll just give up completely? | A dystopic England in which overpopulation is discouraged with policies of semi-official infanticide and benefits for homosexuals. It sort of felt like the book was saying that someone somewhere will always be unhappy no matter what the political/sociological situation is. London has grown so wildly that it has reached its south and east-most shores. Doesn’t even feel like the same author who wrote A Clockwork Orange, even. Englishman, Tristram Foxe, lives in a skyscraper with his wife, Beatrice-Joanna and works as a social studies teacher. | “Everybody had a job, nobody had to worry about anything,” he said scornfully. As until recently in China, fertile couples are allowed only one child. This is not great literature, though. Summary: In the near future world with no war and totalitarian governments there’s an ever-looming threat of starvation thanks to overpopulation and diseases attacking the crops. Pre-publication book reviews and features keeping readers and industry Reviewed in the United States on May 22, 2018, Written in 1962, the world seen by Burgess is now becoming real. And does God have a role? It was disturbing and great. As a means of doing so doctor's hasten the deaths of the sick whose corpses are turned into fertilizer. Anthony Burgess is probably best known (at least among Americans) for his novel A Clockwork Orange. starting in a society where people believe that everyone is good and punishments are lite because they think people will learn. All of this negation of fecundity is creating a backlash - crops are failing, animals are dying. All I saw was a dystopian overpopulated future by the same author as A Clockwork Orange (which I know some people loathe, but I think has a lot of interesting things to say). She seeks solace in her brother-in-law Derek Foxe, whose career has grown thanks to his willingness to act gay. Set in a futuristic Britain in which overpopulation is such a glaring issue that all corpses are recycled for phosphorous, that homosexuality is encouraged and the openly heterosexual marginalized, the novel is never afraid to show its colors. However, the middle of the book gets muddled down, and seems to lose focus. Time wasting and unsafe The Wanting Seed is an Orwellian imagining of a future wherein the earth is so taxed by overpopulation that homosexuality is encouraged and is necessary to achieve promotion in society. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Definitely leaves you thinking when you finish it. We will spend much of the book in Tristram’s scholarly head, and through his thoughts, the parallels will be made as obvious to us as the implications of that first lecture.