Copyright © Mott The Hoople had ended 1973 on a roar, climaxing a 22-date tour of the UK, supported by Queen, with two shows at Hammersmith Odeon. The power of hell forever broken, The ground began to shake The Savior of the world was fallen But after the success we became a pop band. The angel rolled the stone away! The second sparked a near riot when the venue’s management brought the safety curtain down on the band during the final encore. The stone was rolled away His perfect love could not be overcome Now death where is your sting? A battle in the grave Fill it with MultiTracks, CustomMixes®, RehearsalMixes and more So I made myself learn how to play the black ones, which was great because I didn’t understand what I was doing. But with Ralphs gone, Hunter was starting to feel the strain. Visit our corporate site. Bowie’s former guitar hero Mick Ronson was brought in to replace Grosvenor later in ’74, but Mott The Hoople were essentially over. Home » Accompaniment Tracks » The Stone Is Rolled Away The Stone Is Rolled Away. By Like anything I’ve recorded or played on, I just got into the feel and mood of the song. The guitar player from The Hollies – that kid who looked young his entire life [Tony Hicks] – had gone into the publishing company and said they wanted Roll Away The Stone. “So it was stressful and it got worse. “And somehow The Hollies tried to get it. We're Here. jocerut Posts: 140 Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:33 am "The Stone Was Rolled Away" old hymn. The stone was rolled away You can’t do that.’ So he said: ‘Oh yeah, they’ve given us permission.’ This is the story I got.” The song stayed with its writer, but then fate took another strange turn. Forever He is glorified Forever He is lifted high Forever He is risen He is alive, He is alive (Pray...) The ground began to shake The stone was rolled away His perfect love could not be overcome Fate always seemed to deal Mott The Hoople a peculiar hand. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Mott. Sign up below to get the latest from Classic Rock, plus exclusive special offers, direct to your inbox! Ralphs’ replacement was ex-Spooky Tooth guitarist Luther Grosvenor, aka Ariel Bender. Your shopping cart is empty. Peaking at No.8 in November ’73, Roll Away The Stone was the crowning glory of Mott The Hoople’s commercial era. Utterly dispirited, they’d all but split. EPrint is a digital delivery method that allows you to purchase music, print it from your own printer and start rehearsing today. The fourth of Mott The Hoople's Top 10 hits in 1972-3, it could have been a portent of future success. I’ve cracked it.’ And that was the minute I stopped having the formula.”. The Golden Age Of Rock’n’Roll would dent the Top 20 in ’74, but Roll Away The Stone was effectively the band’s last major hit. Our resurrected King has rendered you defeated, Forever He is glorified The morning sun was dead “I made a fatal error,” he winces. Refrain Oh, the angel rolled the stone away! Pepper & Son®, Inc. *All prices are subject to publisher revision, /item/detail/C/The Stone Is Rolled Away/10340292. © There was a problem. By the following year they’d become regulars in the British charts and were playing to packed crowds both here and in the US. Great God, Almighty!