Mulgrew then detailed that she has already started recording and has received at least four scripts. The “Orange is the New Black” star said she was skeptical about taking the job when approached more than a year ago by executive producer Alex Kurtzman, who has also steered the creation of CBS All Access franchise spinoffs “Star Trek: Picard,” “Star Trek: Discovery,” the animated “Star Trek: Lower Decks” and the upcoming “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.“, “I have to tell you that I was, at first, a little bit uncertain,” she said during the six-minute announcement.

Mulgrew would also add on Twitter that she’s thrilled and that she “can’t wait to bring her to a whole new generation of fans.”. Star Trek: Prodigy comes via CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. The CG-animated series hails from Nickelodeon and CBS Studios, and is targeting a 2021 premiere on Nickelodeon. I can now endow her with nuances that I didn’t do before because I will have the privacy and freedom of a recorded booth and we can take it to eliminated places.”, She then detailed, “And then I thought I was the first female Captain and now I’m going to be the first’s children Captain, and what on Earth could be better than that.”, Mulgrew went on to detail that she was “dazzled” by the scripts and animatics and they convinced her to join the show. So I’m not only excited. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. The series, announced Thursday during New York Comic Con, follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation.

9:59am PT Take a look at memorable moments from red carpet premieres and classic episodes. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry, and Trevor Roth will also serve as executive producers. We've received your submission. And I thought, ‘An animated version of Janeway? Ten years before Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien. Aaron Baiers will also co-executive produce, with Mac Middleton serving as a producer. “And now I’m gonna be the first children’s captain. Tendi helps a struggling recruit find her footing. This captain was asked to embody an inhuman level of perfection in order to be accepted as ‘good enough’ to the doubters, but showed them all what it means to be truly outstanding. About Our Ads What do you make of Mulgrew’s return as Janeway in Star Trek” Prodigy? 57 of 108 people found this review helpful. Cerritos, have to keep up with their duties, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies. I had invested every scintilla of my being in that woman. About Us | Copyright Inquiry | Privacy Policy | Contact Us, Kate Mulgrew Returning to Star Trek Universe in Animated Series. She briefly appeared as the character on the big screen in Star Trek: Nemesis (2002). This story has been shared 597,838 times. “I was the first female captain,” the actress continued. As seen in the video above, Kurtzman began the panel saying, “In … This story has been shared 306,609 times. (2020– ). Title: Kate Mulgrew played Kathryn Janeway, the franchise’s first female captain, on “Star Trek: Voyager” from 1995 to 2001. “Star Trek: Prodigy” is the second animated series spearheaded by CBS this year, with “Star Trek: Lower Decks” — featuring Jerry O’Connell as a dopey Starfleet first officer — having premiered on All Access in August. The news dropped Thursday via a virtual panel at New York Comic Con. How could they!! ”I can now endow her with nuance that I didn’t do before because I will have the privacy and freedom of a recording booth and we can take it to unlimited places.’”, Mulgrew, who played the first female captain in the franchise, also said she loved the idea of being “the first children’s captain,” adding, “What on Earth could be better than that?”.

Star Trek: Prodigy is developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman of Trollhunters and Ninjago acclaim. Meanwhile, Season 3 of “Star Trek: Discovery,” starring Sonequa Martin-Green, kicks off on Thursday, Oct. 15.