But who’s liked by everyone in the world? The elation from all of us Arsenal fans was in stark contrast to the white half of North London. “Once some of those players left, it was young players learning off young players.”. Chelsea vs Southampton, Premier League: What time is kick-off, what TV channel is it on and what is our prediction? He also played up at Old Trafford when Arsenal clinched the Title and the Double at the home of their fiercest rivals Manchester United as Sylvain Wilford netted the winning goal. Although a quiet man off the pitch, Sol was very vocal in the heat of battle on the pitch. However Sol only played eight times for Newcastle and he was released by Alan Pardew in May 2011 and announced his retirement a year later in May 2012. Why look at the past?”. Sol had empathetically justified his decision to move to The Arsenal to win trophies. Sol and Kanu win the FA Cup with Portsmouth. I stared at the message and couldn’t believe my eyes it simply read “I see you’ve signed Sol!” I immediately put Sky Sports on and amazingly there was Sol strolling along with Arsene at London Colney. Shockingly Sol asked to be taken off at half time and then promptly got changed and left the stadium. He knows some will never forgive him but he was shocked when he was confronted over the move at a Cambridge Union talk last week. Test your knowledge of the rivalry with our tricky quiz, Premier League matchweek 14 preview including Arsenal v Tottenham and Liverpool v Everton, Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). I’ve never experienced that and when he came on the pitch the hate – there really was hate in people’s eyes. Arsenal had called a press conference and there were only a few journalists at the training ground as they assumed Arsenal would only announce a low key signing. Sol and his agent had been stalling for months saying Sol was going to sign a new contract for Tottenham, all the while deliberately allowing Sol’s contract to run down to enable him to be available on a free transfer. Sol’s old Arsenal teammate Kanu got the winning goal in a 1-0 victory and the Arsenal connection didn’t end there as Tony Adams was Portsmouth’s coach that day. His parents were very strict, particularly his mum, which kept Sol from getting himself into trouble with the wrong crowd growing up in a tough neighbourhood in Plaistow, East London. He returned to train with Arsenal to maintain his fitness in October 2009 and on 15th January 2010 he re-signed for the club. Sol celebrates winning the title at Old Trafford with Patrick Vieira and Ashley Cole. As I watched Campbell hobble off that day, I never dreamt that this would be the last time Sol would wear a Tottenham shirt and the next time I’d see him play he’d be wearing the famous red and white Arsenal one! “They were always good going forward but it was the defensive situation that was questionable. Sol’s teammates celebrated while he went straight to the dressing room. Now I've spoken to, Campbell walked away from County over 'broken promises', Portsmouth 1 Sunderland 0: Defoe ensures travel-weary Sunderland pay, Aston Villa 0, Portsmouth 0: Redknapp calls for life ban as linesman, Redknapp incensed by coin attack on official, Notts County sold for one pound – again, Critics are right about Arsenal, admits Almunia, Save 15% on everything with this ASOS discount code - New customers, Hotel stays for under £29 with this Travelodge promotion, Exclusive Eve Sleep discount code: save 30% on a Tailored bed frame, Up to 40% off selected restaurants at Just Eat, Use our boohoo discount code to save 15% on dresses & shoes, Receive to 20% off local deals with this Groupon promo code, Flash Sale New customers save 40% on all Personal Based cover levels. Sol played in the last ever game played at Highbury against Wigan and In the Champions’ League Final when we were reduced to ten men, after Jens Lehmann was sent off for bringing down Samuel Eto’o. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Despite having chances to seal the game with a second goal, particularly a one-on-one chance that Henry didn’t take we lost 2-1. Sol claimed he fended him off with the palm of his hand. The 0-0 was the tenth game and 995 minutes without a goal conceded which set a record for the best defensive record in the history of the competition. “it’s good to know you’ve seen the light Garth!” I shouted across at him. @Premierleaguestories – Tottenham #THFC #HarryWinks advises @premierleague players to take care of their mental health, #JamieCarragher – No club was bigger than Liverpool for this one club man, #JamesMilner : Complete Football Player, Perfect Professional and a “Machine”, #EmileHeskey: The football whipping boy protected by Kop. Learn how your comment data is processed. In 2000/2001, Tottenham boss, Glenn Hoddle, took a risk playing Sol, who was not at full fitness in the FA Cup semi final at Old Trafford against Arsenal. And I did. David Dein did a marvellous job of convincing Sol to ignore the lucrative offers from some very big clubs abroad and become part of the Arsenal family. He knows some will never forgive him but he was shocked when he was confronted over the move at a Cambridge Union talk last week. The windows in the team bus went through and the vitriol and abuse was incredible. The hatred simmered on for months before reaching a crescendo when Sol eventually returned to White Hart Lane in November 2001 as an Arsenal player. Read our community guidelines in full, The latest offers and discount codes from popular brands on Telegraph Voucher Codes, Sol Campbell has left Macclesfield by mutual consent, after masterminding a great escape to keep the cash stricken club in the Football League, Chelsea vs Southampton, Premier League: live score and latest updates, Everton and Liverpool draw dramatic Merseyside derby after Jordan Henderson's late goal ruled out by VAR. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. George wanted to make Tim Sherwood his skipper. However, a draw was enough to give Arsenal the Title. News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services. Plus + 3 Predictions for Christmas. I was a little bit scared. However he was experienced, an excellent shot-stopper who came for every cross dominating his area and he wasn’t slow to berate his defenders if he thought they weren’t doing their job properly. Just a relatively short hop back in the time machine to the summer of 2001, when Tottenham’s captain crossed the great divide in the most sensational Arsenal transfer of them all. We rely on advertising to help fund our award-winning journalism. Hopefully not. Sol said he wanted to get away and play abroad. Arsenal stars mock ‘little rivals’ Tottenham Hotspur after North London derby dumps Spurs out of FA Cup. The Tottenham fans had been stewing for four months and they wanted to let Sol know exactly what they thought of him. “Once some of those players left, it was young players learning off young players.”. The famous back line of Tony Adams, Lee Dixon, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn and Martin Keown had either retired, moved on or were no longer first choice players and used as cover. “He’s organised them and cleaned that up a bit and they have responded to that.”. The former England defender, 44, was branded a Judas by Spurs fans when he completed his 2001 transfer across North London. Sol Campbell has left Macclesfield Town, only 103 days after masterminding a great escape to keep the cash stricken club in the Football League. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. ), Emery’s Success will be down to the developing Press so time for the players to Im’press’ him, The Next 7 Premier League Fixtures will tell us where Arteta’s Arsenal are, Introducing Arsenal’s Future Vieira Style Central Midfield Captain – Miguel Azeez. But Campbell is known to have grown frustrated by the financial turmoil and organisational troubles at the club that had placed a considerable strain on his first foray into management. Little did I or any other fan in the stadium that day realise that Sol and his agent Sky Andrew were looking enviously across North London to Highbury. He received a suspension which Arsenal appealed and lost that ruled Sol out of the last crucial few games of the season including the 2003 FA Cup Final against Southampton at Cardiff. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. It hurt a lot of people along the way. When Sol signed for Arsenal (a beautiful summer’s day on 3rd July 2001), it caught everybody by surprise including the media. Campbell was at Arsenal from 2001-06, returning in 2010 for a brief second spell under Wenger. Sol’s goal to put us one up against Barcelona in Paris. He is married to Fiona Barratt, the granddaughter of Barratt Homes founder Sir Lawrie Barratt. Tottenham were 1-0 up when Sol injured his ankle fouling Ray Parlour and was off the pitch receiving treatment and before Ledley King could come on to replace him Patrick Vieira headed home the equaliser. SOL CAMPBELL is still getting stick over his seismic switch from Tottenham to Arsenal — 17 YEARS later. At the start of the following season 1992-93, new manager Ossie Ardiles played Sol at left back in place of the injured Justin Edinburgh, then he played at right back in place of Dean Austin. Sol was also annoyed that Sven has never apologised or said sorry for getting him involved. In total Sol Campbell played 211 times for Arsenal and scored 12 goals. He was injured for a lot of it and only started 16 Premier League games, as well as being an unused substitute at the 2005 FA Cup final, with Philippe Senderos partnering Kolo Toure at centre back, when Arsenal beat Manchester United in the competition’s first ever penalty shoot-out, when Patrick Vieira won the cup with his last ever kick for The Arsenal.