There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Filmed in Berlin in 1980, the film debuted at the Cannes Film Festival, where Isabelle Adjani won the award for Best Actress for her performance. Yes, the societal shock and horror of seeing murder, blood, gore and a "monster" are on screen, but this film plays a different tune. Andrzej Zulawski France/West Germany 124 min R. 1981. I came across Toufaan's release and it seemed like the price was a little steep for a movie, but I decided to go ahead and buy it since I've been obsessed with this movie for a while. MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American Blu-ray release of Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION (1981) in an all new 2K digital transfer supervised and approved by the director. Dialogue sounds a bit unnatural at times, but I believe it was intended that way. More on that later. I find this film extremely hard to recommend and i wouldn't sit through it again. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 15, 2018, This is one of the worst films I've ever seen. 'Emily in Paris' Star Lucas Bravo Says Critics "Are Right" About Cliches in the Show, 'Emily in Paris' Controversy Grows As French Critics Chime In, Help! Really, really awful. I beg of you to watch it with subtitles. Stream It Or Skip It: 'Rooting For Roona' On Netflix, A Documentary About A Girl With Birth Defects Facing Overwhelming Odds, Stream It Or Skip It: 'The Perfect Weapon' On HBO, A Documentary About The Rise Of Cyber Attacks, Stream It Or Skip It: 'Time' on Amazon Prime, An Against-The-Odds Love Story That Pushes Hard Against A Broken System, 'Time' on Prime Video: Your Guide to Rob G. Rich's Case, 13 Halloween Movies on Netflix That Are Spooky as Hell, Horny for Horror: The Naughtiest Sex Scenes in Scary Movies, Final Girl Friday: Long Live the Grinning May Queen of Horror, Florence Pugh, 'The Wolf of Snow Hollow' Exclusive Clip: Managing a Crime Scene Isn't Easy, Stream It Or Skip It: 'David Byrne's American Utopia' On HBO, A Spike Lee-Directed Film Of Byrne's Broadway Show, 'Dolly Parton: Here I Am' Is A Testament To The Artistry And Image Of Country Music's "Backwoods Barbie", Stream It Or Skip It: 'BLACKPINK: Light Up the Sky' on Netflix, The Journey Of The World's Most Popular Girl Group, Shawn Mendes Doc 'In Wonder' to Premiere on Netflix, Stream It Or Skip It: 'A Babysitter’s Guide to Monster Hunting' on Netflix, Derivative Kid Fodder for the Terminally Bored, Pixar's 'Soul' to Premiere Exclusively on Disney+ This December, 'Hocus Pocus 2' Release Date, Cast, and Everything We Know So Far, Who Are 'The Boys In The Band'? Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 9, 2018. 35mm. This deep-cutting, biological cinema, delves into the guts to reach the soul. A woman starts exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior after asking her husband for a divorce. 1,628, This story has been shared 1,110 times. Set and shot in a divided Berlin the film begins with Sam Neill’s spy returning home after a prolonged period of absence to find that his wife has decided to leave him. Mondo Vision Blu-ray. The first 1hr 35min is pretty much Isabelle Adjani screaming like a woman giving birth with no pain relief and Sam Neill also wandering about in a crazed state, as he might do were he a regular visitor to a ‘Breaking Bad’ discount warehouse. What Jessica More Wants You To Know About 'Below Deck Med' Season 5: "I Wasn’t A Psychopath For No Reason", ‘Below Deck Med’ Exclusive: Your First Look at the Season 5 Reunion, 'Below Deck Med' Recap: Rob Bails on The Trip To Bali With Jess, This story has been shared 10,692 times. That's nothing. How many horror-movie explanations make any sense? There have been great releases over the years, by companies like Criterion, Arrow, etc. That old woman thumping and moaning up in the attic? If you haven't then you need to! Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION (1981) UNCUT Special Edition [Digipak] by MONDO VISION [Blu-ray]. Synopsis Possession is a 1981 French-German horror drama directed by Andrzej Żuławski and starring Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill. A bit difficult to understand, perhaps, but with intelligent intention. Possession is a 1981 film, whereas Dead Calm was made in 1989), Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 20, 2016. Sam Neill is excellent as the jealous cuckolded husband but it is Isabelle Adjani’s brilliant performance as the adulterous wife which dominates as we observe her descending into a chilling hysterical madness. Isabelle Adjani's career defining performance seems at moments to go beyond madness. Sam Neill willingly joins in with master artist Andrezej Zulawslki directing. Come and See (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray], Wild at Heart (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray], From Beyond (Collector's Edition) [BluRay/DVD Combo] [Blu-ray]. The plot obliquely follows the relationship between an international spy and his wife, who begins exhibiting increasingly disturbing behavior after asking him for a divorce. After years of thinking about this movie, I decided to buy it. It is a film that provokes, but it provokes intelligence above all – not just the merry continuation of our little social mechanisms. DEEP-CUTTING CINEMA THAT REACHES THE SOULA spiral staircase movie, a never-ending metaphysical game of cat-and-mouse, a moral aspiration to the Heavens, a “spotlight” on God, a scornful detective movie, a horror movie and frightful, high-octane baroque work – Possession is all of that at once. Noel Fielding's 'Great British Baking Show' Antics are Growing on Me, 'Great British Baking Show's Prue Leith Insults NYC's Chocolate Babka, All Hail, Rowan! Great job by Toufaan! Unable to add item to List. The altercations between the Neill and Adjani are distraught visceral occasions where the level of emotion is definitely turned up to eleven but even these are surpassed by a scene between the wife and her lover in a dilapidated apartment and a gut wrenching sequence in a subway which is certainly the most uncompromising and distressing I have ever observed in a film. 1,110, This story has been shared 1,092 times. Finally, it's mine! It's a brilliant movie about the disintegration of a marriage told in an incredibly horrifying and disturbing way. Jim Carrey, Other NBC Stars Call For Network Boycott After Airing Trump Town Hall, © 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved, Stream It Or Skip It: 'Amulet' on VOD, a Creeping Horror Flick Rife with Squidgy FX and Devilish Vibes, Stream It Or Skip It: 'La Révolution' On Netflix, A Horror Series That Reimagines French History, New Movies + Shows to Watch this Weekend: Netflix's 'Trial of the Chicago 7' + More, How to Watch 'Totally Under Control,' The Coronavirus Documentary Filmed In Secret. Reviewed in the United States on July 3, 2016, Reviewed in the United States on November 27, 2015. Please try again. Deeply nuanced and layered, I love this artistic masterpiece. Possession is a 1981 French-German horror drama directed by Andrzej Żuławski and starring Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill. It really is something special, for such a special film. I must also mention there is a somewhat absurdist vein of humor throughout the movie. Be advised that Possession (1981) is unlike many films you may have seen, however I wouldn't really classify it as a horror film. It's more than just a disc that you would want to put on your shelf with the others. Possession Dir. With Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill, Margit Carstensen, Heinz Bennent. Disney + Pixar + Marvel + Star Wars + Nat Geo, Stream on up to 4 devices at the same time, 30 hours of Cloud DVR space at no extra charge. I definitely concur with that view. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Directed by Andrzej Zulawski. Difficult to watch, explain, and review. Ever since I saw Possession a few years back, it's been one of those incredibly haunting and strange movies that was always hard to shake. It's absolutely gorgeous and was well worth the price. Looking to watch Possession (1981)? Meet Kelsey Asbille, 'Fargo' Season 4 Episode 3 Recap: American Pie, 'Lovecraft Country' Episode 9 Recap: Going Back to Tulsa, 'Lovecraft Country' Showrunner Admits She "Failed" Indigenous Character Yahima, 'Lovecraft Country' Episode 9: 5 Things You May Have Missed in "Rewind 1921". Find out where Possession (1981) is streaming, if Possession (1981) is on Netflix, and get news and updates, on Decider.