Shi Smith makes a ridiculous grab to advance South Carolina up the field.

Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. MANKATO — It was a tough weekend, waiting for three days, hoping some NFL team would select him in the draft or sign him as a free agent. He’s begun a career selling medical devices, which he said will now take up the majority of his energy. He spent Saturday with his family at DePere, Wisconsin, but his weekend ended with the same frustration. Zylstra was one of three former Minnesota State football players who had hoped to be drafted or signed as a free agent by now. 3.85: Business Administration: OL: … Shane Zylstra CAMPUS NEWS FEATURED STORIES FOOTBALL NEWS SPORTS . Smith makes sensational catch while falling to the ground. Cloudy. Faculty Sound Off on Synchronous Vs. Asynchronous Classes. The game has been good to me. Follow Chad Courrier on Twitter @ChadCourrier. Only two Division II players were drafted last week, and just 11 were signed as undrafted free agents. It gave me a chance to graduate with a degree. Copyright: © 2020 ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. I always knew it was going to be tough (to get a chance). I still talk to my coaches almost every day.”.

“It was (crappy),” he said. There was a problem saving your notification. “I think teams just went with the less-risky players from the big programs.”. Periods of rain early. So Sunday morning, Shane Zylstra put in a vigorous workout, trying to relieve the stress of encountering a major hurdle in his dream of playing professional football. Shane Zylstra, a Spicer native, is the all-time leader in Minnesota State-Mankato football history in receiving yards and touchdown catches. Chance of rain 90%. Gunn was the most prolific rusher in Minnesota State history, setting records for rushing yards and touchdowns. ... Shane Zylstra (1) Minnesota State University, Mankato: Sr. 3.44: Biomedical Science: TE: Preston Guerra: Colorado State University-Pueblo: Jr. 3.96: Business Management: OL: Ronnie Clifton (2) Lenoir-Rhyne University: Gr. You have permission to edit this article. Kentucky extends lead with a 2-yard rushing TD. If Shane Zylstra and his older brother Brandon are in the same place at the same time, each better be prepared. Tennessee finally breaks through the Kentucky defense as Ty Chandler powers his way into the end zone for a 4-yard touchdown. “But the reality has started to set in that (football) might be over.”. His CFL rights are owned by Edmonton, where his brother played for two seasons before coming to the NFL; that may be an option. I just need a chance to get on the field and prove myself.”.

“The smaller-school guys didn’t have as much film, and most of the Pro Days were cancelled,” said Zylstra, the most prolific receiver in Minnesota State history and an All-American. Playing football put me in the position I’m in today. So Sunday morning, Shane Zylstra put in a vigorous workout, trying to relieve the stress of encountering a major hurdle in his dream of playing professional football. Complete NFL Draft Rankings – WR: You are currently viewing the best wide receivers in the 2020 NFL Draft. Heim said his agent expects some tryout camps to be held in July. “You put in all that work from Jan. 1 up to the draft and nothing happens. Low 29F. Boyd crams his way into the end zone for the 1-yard TD. Sign up now to get our FREE breaking news coverage delivered right to your inbox. “It was pretty frustrating, not hearing your name called or getting something after the draft,” Zylstra said.

Former Minnesota State running back Nate Gunn has decided to no longer pursue an opportunity to play professional football and concentrate on a career of selling medical devices. Georgia Southern makes easy work of UMass in first half. If the shutdown passes, and NFL teams are able to give tryouts to unsigned players, Zylstra wants to be prepared. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. The Minnesota State Maverick football team’s run in the 2018 DII football playoffs is over Kevin Korbel Sports Editor The, The team stomps into Saturday with the stakes being higher than ever headed into gameday Kevin Korbel Sports Editor The, The Mavericks are ready to take on the Texans in round three of the NCAA Playoffs Saturday Kevin Korbel Sports Editor, Mavs advance to third round of playoffs to face Tarleton State Kevin Korbel Sports Editor The Mavericks defeated the CSU-Pueblo, Team clinches a first-round bye headed into the playoffs Kevin Korbel Sports Editor The Mavericks battled against not only the, John Laforest Staff Writer The Mavericks will start their two-game homestand against the Sioux Falls Cougars this Saturday at the, Aaron Young Staff Writer Minnesota State football heads into the home stretch of the season this weekend for a showdown, Aaron Young Staff Writer History was almost made Saturday in Blakeslee Stadium, as the football team was 11 points away from, The team looks ready to defend home turf vs. Minot State Kolby Spomer Staff Writer The Maverick football team is, Aaron Young Staff Writer The Minnesota State Mavericks football team continued their successful season with a victory on the road in. Do Students Report Their Positive COVID Cases? Heim, an offensive lineman, is also waiting for the phone to ring. Looking for Fall Fun? “We didn’t get the chance to show the scouts what we could do. I’ve enjoyed my time, and I’ve made friends that will be friends for the rest of my life. Do Students Know How to Report their COVID Cases? DII Football: Interactive tournament bracket Tight end — Zach Davidson, junior, Central Missouri.. What's the impact for Alabama with Saban on the sideline? The three appear to be victims of the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced an offseason shutdown of team operations and didn’t allow NFL teams to have in-person workouts or Pro Days with players who didn’t attend the annual combine. In 2019, five Division II players were drafted and 23 were signed as free agents after the draft. So Zylstra has returned to his parents’ house in Spicer, where he works out with his brother Brandon, who has signed with Carolina. Former Minnesota State lineman Evan Heim is still hoping to get a chance for a workout with NFL teams this summer. Periods of rain early. Micci, Zylstra and Spelhaug are three of 20 Academic All-America® selections who helped their teams make the NCAA playoffs. But so far, the NFL has passed on Zylstra, Evan Heim and Nate Gunn, and most teams have already reached their roster limits.

Training camps usually begin in late July, though that could change depending on how long the shutdown lasts. "We … Get the latest news, stats, videos, highlights and more about wide receiver Shane Zylstra on ESPN. Chris Rodriguez Jr. gets his head down and muscles his way into the end zone for another Kentucky touchdown. “(Playing professional football) has been my goal growing up,” Heim said. “It’s tough to tell what’s going to happen,” Zylstra said. Shai Werts and Georgia Southern put 28 points on the board and keep UMass scoreless through the first two quarters. “I’m still going to train because that’s what I’ve done all my life,” Gunn said. ccourrier@mankatofreepress.com, O'CLOCK, George Sep 25, 1939 - Oct 12, 2020, SHOEMAKER, John Sep 2, 1939 - Oct 14, 2020, MCCABE, Dorothy May 14, 1930 - Oct 14, 2020, LABS, Elizabeth Nov 17, 1953 - Oct 9, 2020, Join The Free Press expert source network, Red Rocks looks to reopen down the street, Wells teen accused of threat, sex assaults, North Mankato woman accused of unemployment fraud, Post office makes long-delayed move from historic home, Brown County resident dies from COVID, as state cases continue upward trend, Maple River District breaks ground on long-awaited school, St. Clair teacher tries synchronous approach to teaching from home. He never got the chance to work out for the pro scouts. “When I finally do get a chance, I need to be ready.”. “We were dealt a crappy hand,” Gunn said. 6 Tarleton State, Mavericks undefeated, win 20th NSIC title, Football faces off against the Sioux Falls Cougars, Football rolls into the weekend undefeated, Mavericks enter Dragons’ den, remain undefeated, Brother Jed’s preaching leads to student          outrage, Mass COVID-19 testing on campus due          to rising cases, “Tenet”: Christopher Nolan with another          time-bending hit, Pandemic sports: NBA in the         Disney bubble, ARCH (University Archives Digital Collections). “But I can’t complain. Rakeem Boyd gets Arkansas' first rushing touchdown of the season to open the scoring against Ole Miss. Chance of rain 90%.. Cloudy. Sorry, there are no recent results for popular commented articles. I have to keep putting in the work and get ready for any opportunity.”. Last month, Gunn said he was prepared to move on from football if something didn’t happen this offseason. Mavericks upset by Ferris State in semifinals. MSU football alums still waiting on NFL opportunities, By Chad Courrier “There were a lot of emotions, but honestly, it adds more fuel to the fire and keeps me motivated. Our top wide receiver prospects are selected after thousands of hours carefully scouting the most talented pass catchers in all of college football. “I just have to do my best to stay ready.”.

Low 29F. "Everything we did was a competition," Shane said. There’s Plenty Around ‘Kato, UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES DIGITAL COLLECTIONS (ARCH), Mavericks upset by Ferris State in semifinals, Football: Mavs reach Final Four, face Ferris State, Mav football ready to take on No.

Booger McFarland and Mark Sanchez react to the news that Nick Saban can coach against Georgia after receiving his third negative COVID-19 test. First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. I’m not bitter just because I didn’t get a chance at the next level.