This trail was pretty much an incline the entire way, so we stopped a handful of times to catch our breath. Great hike and rewarding view from the fire tower. We took the East Trail up and down, after reading reviews that it was easier and/or less steep. That’s the only reasons I’m giving 4 stars. It felt weird being on top and waiting in line to climb the tower for the views. Home; About the CLCA. We reached the summit and there are no views. But overall not to hard. 2020 Annual Meeting Materials; Calendar; Lake … View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. 2020 President’s Letter; 2020 Membership Form; Echo Deadlines; Board of Directors; CLCA Committees; Nominating Committee Appeal; Bylaws of the Canada Lakes Conservation Association; Directors’ Meetings Minutes; Annual Meeting Minutes . Due to this being an easy hike, prepare yourself to meet a bunch of people. 1103 photos. It’s pretty creepy and cool. There are miles of trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. Shaker Mountain Wild Forest - Pinnacle Valley Trail Other Trail C on tur 50 f Stream Road 0 0.125 0.25 0.5 Miles Pinnacle Valley Trail extends 3.2 miles from the Pinnacle Lake Trailhead to County Line Lake. Easy short hike. Harder than anticipated. This was the case for our climb of Kane Mountain and Fire Tower, located in Shaker. The Shaker Mountain Wild Forest, an Adirondack Park unit of the Forest Preserve, is located in the towns of Northampton, Mayfield, Bleecker, and Caroga in Fulton County and the Town of Benson in Hamilton County. Some of the more popular recreational activities include hunting, fishing, cross country skiing, hiking to the fire tower on Kane Mountain, and snowmobiling through the area. I highly suggest you take the same route up and back. Nice view, especially from the fire tower. The Kane Mountain Fire Tower, located within the area, provides "spectacular views of the surrounding areas lands and waters". Best Forest Trails in Shaker Mountain Wild Forest. The climb though is worth it overall. Headed north to the Shaker Mountain Wild Forest after work today to try to enjoy as much of a beautiful spring day as I could. There is a trail to the old observer’s cabin. The view from the fire tower is breath-taking. Follow the arrow for the Firetower at the trailhead. We did it counterclockwise. Very easy hike. The southern terminus of the Northville-Placid Trail (NPT) is located at the trailhead in Waterfront Park in the Village of Northville. [1], New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, List of Wilderness Areas in the Adirondack Park, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shaker_Mountain_Wild_Forest&oldid=904599168, Protected areas of Hamilton County, New York, Protected areas of Fulton County, New York, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 3 July 2019, at 06:28. It was an easy hike, however. Steep but and easy climb to the top. 649 reviews Directions Print/PDF Map; Share; VIEW FULL MAP. There’s an outhouse at the trailhead, but it is pretty gross. The Shaker Mountain Wild Forest (SMWF) is located in the southern Adirondack Park and consists of 40,500 acres of State Forest Preserve lands in the towns of Mayfield, Bleecker, Caroga, Northampton, and Benson in Fulton and Hamilton counties. We ended up at a lake that was also beautiful! #7 - Adirondack Traverse: Blue Line South to Silver Lake Lean-to, #8 - Kane Mountain from Schoolhouse Road [CLOSED], Adirondack Traverse: Blue Line South to Silver Lake Lean-to, Kane Mountain from Schoolhouse Road [CLOSED]. My goal today was to hike up and over 2496 foot Pinnacle Mountain. Indian Lake is stunning. The Shaker Mountain Wild Forest (SMWF) is located in the southern Adirondack Park and consists of 40,500 acres of State Forest Preserve lands in the towns of Mayfield, Bleecker, Caroga, Northampton, and Benson in Fulton and Hamilton counties. Quite windy at the top. Hiking Bugs Muddy. We got lost on the way to the fire tower. If conditions are right, there is not a nicer hike. the peak between the two trails. Pretty steep a lot of the way up! The Shaker Mountain Wild Forest, an Adirondack Park unit of the Forest Preserve, is located in the towns of Northampton, Mayfield, Bleecker, and Caroga in Fulton County and the Town of Benson in Hamilton County. Shaker Mountain Wild Forest Unit Management Plan Resolution December 9, 2005 Page 3 2. The northern approach has a steep ascent in the last half. We were the only ones on the trail on a sunny fall day. The Northville-Lake Placid Trail has its southern terminus in the unit at the western side of the Northville Bridge. The southern terminus of the Northville-Placid Trail (NPT) is located at the trailhead in Waterfront Park in the Village of Northville. Several spots with lots of mud on the way down the longer trail. I drove to the very end of Pinnacle Road, where the parking lot and trailhead for Chase Lake and County Line Lakes resides, elevation 1580 feet. Recreation. It is challenging enough and the views are varied and pristine. Not a difficult hike but does get your heart pumping on the steep inclines. Don’t forget to check it out before you leave the summit! East trail on the way up and down. Tails not as clear as we had hoped. The trail climbs 895 feet in 2.8 miles up the shoulder of Pigeon Mountain and then drops 100 feet in the last 0.4 mile to the eastern shore of the lake. Shaker Mountain Wild Forest Recreation Page, Bylaws of the Canada Lakes Conservation Association, Caroga: An Adirondack Town Recalls its Past, “Paul Bransom, the Dean of Canada Lake’s Art Colony at 92”, Paul Bransom Letter to Helen “Kicki” Hays, Paul Bransom Letter to George Allen Streeter, Real Photo Postcards of the Canada and Caroga Lakes, Lake Stewards, Inspectors, and Boat Wash Station, Shaker Mountain Wild Forest Unit Management Plan. I just did that at Lowes store. You MUST climb the fire tower! There are some trees down but you can get around them without too much trouble. I didn’t realize that and I didn’t like how you couldn’t just stay and enjoy the view as long as you wanted bc other people were waiting to go up too. Reviews (649) Photos (1103) Recordings (426) Patrick Aveni reviewed Kane Mountain North Trail Loop. Under 90 minutes round trip including break at fire tower. There are also lakes and ponds that are open to fishing, ice fishing, and paddling. The loop was steeper going down then very boring at the end. A Winter Climb of KANE MOUNTAIN and FIRE TOWER-Shaker Mountain Wild Forest, Adirondacks, NY Failure to prep, even for a short hike, can take you off the beaten path. The views at the top of the fire tower were beautiful but I was disappointed that there really wasn’t much of a view unless you climbed the fire tower. Amazing fall foliage views! We parked down the road and tacked on maybe a quarter mile to the hike.