And that's what you can find out walking through a neighborhood with census records.". 307,824, © 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved Start your day with the top stories you missed while you were sleeping. Onsides kick decision plays pivotal in BYU’s 43-26 win over Houston. After midnight Wednesday, June 6, 2012, Americans will be able to plug family names into an online 1940 U.S. census and come up with details about the lives of New Yorkers — from Joe DiMaggio and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy to their own relatives. Information contained in this database includes: name (Indian and/or English), gender, age, birth date, relationship to head of family, marital status, tribe name, agency name, and reservation name. George H. “Babe” Ruth is one of many notable New Yorkers who will be searchable online by name when the 1915 and 1925 New York States censuses and the 1940 U.S. Census become searchable by family name at midnight, June 5, 2012. While New York is the biggest state whose census records are already name-indexed, a number of smaller states also have been made name-accessible by Ancestry.com and two other companies, FamilySearch.org and MyHeritage.com. Birth. No. In a wild game that lived up to the hype, No. First and middle name(s) Last name. The census data also include such information as occupation, whether immigrants were naturalized citizens, and whether they owned or rented their homes — in other words, sketches of communities, said David M. Kleiman, president of Heritage Muse Inc., a New York-based genealogy technology firm. When searching Census please provide at least the first 2 characters of a Surname eg sm* to find smith, smyth, smithy, etc. “All my life, I was telling people I was very poor, but I learned we did not live in abject poverty; I was born into a middle-class family,” he said. This website allows you full access to the 1940 census images, in addition to 1940 census maps and descriptions. ", U.S. Enumeration District Maps and Descriptions, 1940, U.S., World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946, Provided in association with National Archives and Records Administration. These records include details about famed personalities such as Lauren Bacall, Al Capone, Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Houdini, who according to the 1925 census was born in the United States, even though most biographies say he was born in Hungary. A perfect example of this melting pot is Babe Ruth, who appeared in the 1925 census as "George H. Ruth" and listed his occupation as "Base Ballplayer." marriage information for women (married more than once, age at first marriage, number of children). Census experts say the New York data is of national interest because tens of millions of Americans have roots in this gateway to the United States through Ellis Island, and many can now dig for more personal information.