Seal point refers to the coloration of certain types of cats. Well loved and much venerated in the family. The other one is quieter. The Siamese cat’s Seal Point coloration was first seen in a kingdom’s royal court as they play the role of a royal feline in the kingdom of Siam (now called Thailand). If I may ask, what do you feed your cats? Birman cats can have seal-point coloring, too. Let’s find out what’s so interesting about seal-point cats! Must be registered Those two copies of the gene may both have the same allele or may have different alleles. The seal point coloring develops in the first few weeks of a kitten's life. We're all about honesty here. We live in a village in Almeria, Spain. Legend has it that Siamese cats were the vessels for souls of recently deceased royal family members. Is that common in these breeds too? We have seal point Himalayans and they are so lovely and have such a calm nature. A seal point Siamese may have a pale fawn to cream-colored body with seal-brown (dark brown) color points on their face that spread out from their nose, ears, paws, and tail. Seal Point Siamese kittens can range anywhere from around 250USD to 1000USD, whereas an adult purebred Siamese cat will cost you more than 1000USD. Grooming Needs: You can brush the coat of your Siamese cat softly and gradually, for once a week. They’re both very sweet! No head shall be higher than his. Your email address will not be published. He doesnt look at all like his mom .male cat which I believe was father was black and white. We have had 5 seal point kitties over the years. I adopted a female Siamese cat 2.5 years ago. Author Martin Clutterbuck states that while the British Siamese Cat Club dubbed their favorite breed, “The Royal Cat of Siam,” in 1901, the King of Siam shot that down; expressing, “The King of Siam does not keep any special breed, nor are there any specially preserved in his palace.”. At present we have only one female but we are awaiting word about a male kitty to be born. That would have resulted in new cat breeds, don't you think? Tamra Maeo (Treatises on Cats), also called The Cat-Book Poems, dates back to the 1500s and features a dark-pointed cat. The mother is a calico bob tail or manx (no tail) This seal point has full tail, is light cream with the dark eyes, ears, tail and feet. To our surprise, even one of the cats at the time was chosen to be the receiver of what houses the soul of a deceased person. The color of the limbs of a chocolate point Siamese cat is milk chocolate whereas in terms of seal point it would be black-brown. The name seal point comes from the color of a seal. This is also referred to as a “Himalayan Persian” or a “colorpoint Persian”. We promise not to share your information. What is the difference between Seal Point and chocolate point Siamese cats? The Seal Point Siamese – All You Need To Know About This Cat Breed. Dunn holds a degree from UCSF and formerly worked as professional chef. Read more about cat colors on Catster.com: I have one male long haired Siamese seal point kitten he’s about 12 weeks old and he’s my best friend I love him so much! Whereas, seal point Siamese cats have a seal-brown shade with a cold undertone. My Mochi is either a seal or chocolate point. Seal points have a contrast of two different colors. Interesting about the name seal point, I didn’t know it actually came from seals. Just curious if there were any comments on her dark coat. A chocolate point will have pinkish paw pads, compared to the seal's brown pads. True cat lovers find these distinct traits to be one of the best characteristics in the Siamese, while others might find it to be a hassle. Facts About the Average Cat Lifespan. This advert is located in and around Letchworth, Hertfordshire. I like to call the free range cats – they actually adopted us! Their longevity is impressive! We now have three cats! It is most recognized as the coloration of Siamese and related breeds of cat, but can be found in dogs, rabbits, rats, sheep, guinea pigs and horses as well. Dunn has ghostwritten thousands of blog posts, newsletter articles, website copy, press releases and product descriptions. she’s a crazy lil thing. He is addressed as Lord Sargon. We’ve edited the piece. The Siamese will look at owners as their parents, so all-in-all, a solid dedication and a love for cats is what they’ll expect from their owner. While it is true that Siamese cats and their mixes seem to have cornered the market on a coat with seal-point markings, the stunning coloration is found on quite a few cat breeds. According to the National Siamese Cat Club, the range of colors under the seal umbrella go from a dark brown to a brownish black. For centuries, there have been many tales and legends about the Siamese cat that involves a narrative on how the Siamese cross-eyed look and kinked tail came to be. Your email address will not be published. Seal point may look similar to two other recognized color points: chocolate point and tortie point. Does anyone have a suggestion or clue as to why? An interesting fact about these cats is it can get difficult to tell Seal Point kittens apart from their Chocolate Point counterparts. Thus each gene occurs twice (once in each chromosome of the pair). Having both beauty and brains suit these cats completely because these cats are not only beautiful but are also quite intelligent and curious. Get tips and exclusive deals. Archie was so sweet and still mischievous as he liked to reach out a paw to trip his unsuspecting roommates as they strolled past him. Thanks for article about their purebred relatives. Copyright 2020 by FelineLiving.net   -  Designed by Thrive Themes the face, ears, feet, tail, and (in males) scrotum. We have our second seal point cat and she is daughter to a family of calico/tortoise shell felines. Known for creatures of habit, Seal Points are a wonder to any cat-lover! Everyone loves them and the blue eyes are striking. But there are certain clues you can check out to spot the exact difference among these breed of cats. Truths, half-truths and total fiction aside, seal-point cats have captured our attention for centuries, and will continue to do so for many more years to come! He rules the house. She is wonderful and has become a sister/friend with my wirehaired dachshund. We always have been curious what kind of breed our little Snow White is. The tortie point and the chocolate point that may look similar to the Seal point. It's time to get to know the original Siamese cats! Close enough. The alleles (variant forms of a single gene) are actually a form of temperature-sensitive genes associated with albinism. The mother is a tortoishell we don’t know who the father is. It’s like he couldn’t decide what color he wanted to be or what markings he wanted to have! In a nutshell, color-point features refer to the type of coloration found in certain cats. she is a real diva but very loving & we’ve had her from a kitten it was amazing to see her go from a pure white ball of fluff to a sleek & elegant adult cat with gorgeous colourings I was so happy to read about the seal point cats. I wish I could attach an image of her to show you all. Interestingly, Seal Points are generally darker than Chocolate Point cats. A chocolate point cat has milk chocolate limbs, compared with the blackish-brown of a seal point. Required fields are marked *, You may use these HTML tags and attributes:
. While chocolate points are recognized as an acceptable variant for purebreds, the difference between seal and chocolate is that seal is darker and chocolate points are lighter and warmer. Our female is named Solange Lowan ( Combination of French and Thai, it means seriously beautiful). Average $600 - $1200 USD The normal Siamese kitten can cost you anywhere from around $600-$800. Both are absolutely gorgeous cats. Seal-point cats usually have white- to fawn-colored bodies with darker points on their furthest extremities. As to the age – I had two Siamese from my childhood – both seal points. Thumbnail: Photography ©PatrikSlezak | Thinkstock. Seal point Siamese cats. But as time marched on, palaces, along with the ruling class, crumbled — taking most of the cats with them.