Rozenlaan 65 On their second 10-inch record Encores From The Abbaye. Entre l’eau salée et le rivage, Les paroles de cette version moderne sont semblables à de nombreuses autres versions populaires aux XVIIIe et XIXe siècles mentionnant également la « chemise de batiste » (tissu inconnu en Angleterre avant le XVIIIe) et situant l'histoire dans d'autres lieux que la foire de Scarborough. Scarborough Fair/Canticle by Simon & Garfunkel, Scarborough Fair (Acoustic Version) by Leaves' Eyes, Duerme... (Canción De Cuna) by Mägo de Oz, Scarborough Faire (2015 Version) by Sirena. Tell her to make me a cambric shirt, Without any seam or needlework, "Scarborough Fair," popularized in the United States by the 1960s singer-songwriting duo Simon & Garfunkel, is an English folk song about a market fair that took place in the town of Scarborough in Yorkshire during medieval times. Ask her to do me this courtesy [16] This rift remained until Simon invited Carthy to perform the song with him as a duet at a London concert in 2000. It was the direct source of inspiration for Bob Dylan’s love ballad ‘Girl From the North Country’, which strongly resembles ‘Scarborough Fair’ with its poetic structure and rhythmic pattern. Paul Simon learned the song in London in 1965 from Martin Carthy,[14][15] who had picked up the tune from the songbook by Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger[16] and included it on his eponymous 1965 album. Whitby is the town north of Scarborough along the Yorkshire coast. The melody is in Dorian mode and is very typical of the middle English period. If you say that you can't, then I shall reply Scarborough Fair originated from a royal charter granted by King Henry III of England on 22 January 1253. Sir Walter Scott suggested that young girls on their way to Scarborough Fair carried a mix of said herbs for protection. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, Ask him to plough it with a lamb's horn In April 1966, Marianne Faithfull recorded and released her own take on "Scarborough Fair" on her album North Country Maid about six months prior to Simon & Garfunkel's release of their single version of the song in October 1966. The fair peaked in the late 14th century but continued to operate until the end of the 1700s. A.L. Simon & Garfunkel set it in counterpoint with "Canticle" – a reworking of the lyrics from Simon's 1963 anti-war song, "The Side of a Hill",[17] set to a new melody composed mainly by Art Garfunkel. Des versions plus récentes comportent des refrains autres : Ils sont généralement associés avec ‘Once she/he was a true love of mine’ ou une variante. La version titrée « Scarborough Fair » fait référence à la « foire de Scarborough », un lieu de rencontre pour les marchands qui y venaient de toute l'Angleterre. She is also the Community Manager for the folk music magazine NoDepression. In 2016, a revival of the fair as a music festival headlined by Richard Ashcroft was attempted. Applauding was considered too loud, let alone yelling or foot stomping. It's possible that they were just put there as a placeholder, as people forgot what the original line was.