No way. Carpenter went on to compare Rickey's speech unfavorably to Lou Gehrig's. !”, Brock smiled.

Rickey loved to tip his cap.

Appropriately, he was born in a leap year.

David Ortiz, Gary Sheffield and Rafael Palmeiro never hit three homers in one game. ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's career record for stolen bases. He was 44. ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's career record for stolen bases. Rickey would keep the speech in the pocket of his uniform.

I don't want to play his sport.
But in a spot start, his first major league start, he threw a no-hitter -- the first by a St. Louis Browns pitcher since 1934 by ... another Bobo, Bobo Newsom. Every five seconds this weekend, you've heard someone make a crack about Rickey Henderson's infamous "greatest of all time" speech, given after he set the all time steals mark. But one of his managers in New York, Bobby Valentine, tells this story. No way.

In 1964, second baseman Jose Lind was born. That's how "Today, I am the greatest of all time" came out.

The game stopped to honor Henderson, and the flashy superstar said "Today, I am the greatest of all time." In 1987, Bobo Holloman died. Brock said that he and Rickey had grown close during Henderson's pursuit, and together they wrote a short speech that Rickey would read, on the field, immediately after he broke the record.

Henderson pulled the historic bag out of the ground, raised it above his head and, into a microphone, announced to the Oakland Coliseum crowd, “Today, I am the greatest of all time!”. Stroman is listed at 5-foot-9 in some places, 5-7 in others. Rickey loved to tip his cap. He can't beat me in my sport. You have come to the Philippines Edition, for other ESPN editions, click here. '', Brock smiled.

Rickey broke another record, which demanded another standing ovation. Hell, he freaking told Billy Martin he loved him. He is 5-7. ", [RELATED: Henderson inducted into Bay Area Sports HOF]. He was great defensively, tremendously athletic. "Brock said that he and Rickey had grown close during Henderson's pursuit, and together they wrote a short speech that Rickey would read, on the field, immediately after he broke the record. He was a devastating offensive player for almost his entire 25-year career. '', Kurkjian remembers Henderson's gaffe on the day he passed Brock (1:32), 'I am the greatest of all time' and the speech Rickey Henderson was supposed to read, Dodgers' Taylor (ankle) out of Game 6 lineup, Astros rekindle memories of '04 Red Sox in ALCS, 'Dangerous' Seager hits 2 HRs, L.A. stays alive, Braves' Minter K's 7 in 3 innings in starting debut, Ex-Angels employee indicted in Skaggs' OD death, MLB players extend COVID-free streak to 47 days, MLB Playoffs Daily: Can Braves eliminate Dodgers, plus climactic Astros-Rays Game 7, Could the 2020 Astros join the 2004 Red Sox on Saturday? Soon after, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who was a great high school hoops player, said he could beat Magic in one-on-one. In 1953, his only major league season, he was a struggling reliever headed to the minor leagues. There are all sorts of urban legends about some of the colorful things he has said and done, none of which was harmful or malicious. He was a devastating offensive player for almost his entire 25-year career. It's a phrase no one will ever forget, but according to Brock, Henderson went off script. One of the most iconic moments in Oakland A's history wasn't supposed to happen the way it played out. Royals Rumblings - News for October 15, 2020, Salary estimates for arbitration-eligible Royals players.

I wish you were here. The steal sign for Rickey was a clap of the hands. Appropriately, he was born in a leap year. Holloman made only nine starts after his no-hitter. In 1953, his only major league season, he was a struggling reliever headed to the minor leagues.

ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's career record for stolen bases. Henderson is the greatest base stealer in history; his 1,406 steals are 468 more than Brock, who has the second most of all time.

The steal sign for Rickey was a clap of the hands. On June 6, 2017, Gennett hit four home runs in a game.

He can't beat me in my sport. David Ortiz, Gary Sheffield and Rafael Palmeiro never hit three homers in one game. In 1991, Marcus Stroman of the Mets was born.

Part of that was his power: He hit 81 leadoff home runs, 27 more than Alfonso Soriano, who is second on the list. The anatomy of a 3-0 comeback, MLB Friday Takeaways: Astros make history in forcing Game 7; Dodgers stay alive, How MLB old school beat new: Inside the Astros' big inning that won Game 6, Ranking 35 trades that shaped the Rays, Astros, Dodgers and Braves, Baseball keeps losing legends in 2020, and Joe Morgan might have been the smallest and mightiest of them all, 2021 MLB draft order set by 2020 standings, How the Rays are winning big without spending big money, MLB offseason preview: What's next for teams already out of the playoffs, Retro-drafting 1982: The year Rickey Henderson stole too many bases. There are all sorts of urban legends about some of the colorful things he has said and done, none of which was harmful or malicious. So while we await its return, every day we'll provide you with a story or two tied to this date in baseball history.

Lesky’s Notes: There really is a lot of pitching in this organization. But in a spot start, his first major league start, he threw a no-hitter -- the first by a St. Louis Browns pitcher since 1934 by ... another Bobo, Bobo Newsom. And, he was and is. Soon after, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who was a great high school hoops player, said he could beat Magic in one-on-one. Rickey loved a standing ovation. Today's Top Stories ... Rickey Henderson's acceptance speech at yesterday's National Baseball Hall of Fame induction was ... "I am the Greatest" …

In 1953, his only major league season, he was a struggling reliever headed to the minor leagues.

Henderson also is second in walks and fourth in times reached base. ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock’s career record for stolen bases.

Part of that was his power: He hit 81 leadoff home runs, 27 more than Alfonso Soriano, who is second on the list.

He was a plus defensively. Just like I would never say I could beat him at his sport. The conversation shifted to that day in Oakland when Rickey broke the record.

ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock’s career record for stolen bases. Twenty years after Henderson broke Brock's record, I saw Lou Brock at the pro shop in Cooperstown, New York, on Hall of Fame weekend.

In 1991, Marcus Stroman of the Mets was born. Billy Martin was a great manager.

Magic was 51.

Henderson also is the greatest leadoff man ever. [Pause for cheers] Most of all, I'd like to thank my mom, my friends, and loved ones for their support. You have reached ESPN's Australian edition. But when Henderson stole base No. There are all sorts of urban legends about some of the colorful things he has said and done, none of which was harmful or malicious. ON THIS DATE IN 1991, Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock’s career record for stolen bases. Soon after, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who was a great high school hoops player, said he could beat Magic in one-on-one.

939, he got caught up in the moment, started speaking, as Brock, watching from a distance, said, "No, Rickey, the speech?! In his county in Long Island, he was named high school pitcher of the year, and Mets pitcher Steven Matz was named hitter of the year.
He struck out 16. Here's what he actually said, per wikipedia and his book Confessions of a Thief: It took a long time, huh? Rickey said, "Sorry, I forgot.". Rickey said, "Sorry, I forgot.". He can’t beat me in my sport. '', Brock smiled. Did someone at Sportscenter back in 1991 just clip that mini-soundbyte back in the day, and somehow that's all that got replayed? But in a spot start, his first major league start, he threw a no-hitter — the first by a St. Louis Browns pitcher since 1934 by … another Bobo, Bobo Newsom. He spoke to Rickey. The anatomy of a 3-0 comeback, MLB Friday Takeaways: Astros make history in forcing Game 7; Dodgers stay alive, How MLB old school beat new: Inside the Astros' big inning that won Game 6, Ranking 35 trades that shaped the Rays, Astros, Dodgers and Braves, Baseball keeps losing legends in 2020, and Joe Morgan might have been the smallest and mightiest of them all, 2021 MLB draft order set by 2020 standings, How the Rays are winning big without spending big money, MLB offseason preview: What's next for teams already out of the playoffs, Retro-drafting 1982: The year Rickey Henderson stole too many bases.

In 1990, Scooter Gennett was born. "First time I have ever won one,'' Stroman said. On June 6, 2017, Gennett hit four home runs in a game. His sport is way too hard. In 1964, second baseman Jose Lind was born. As so many of his teammates, friends and Oakland natives, including 2007 NL MVP Jimmy Rollins, whose father grew up in Oakland living down the street from Henderson, said in the latest documentary on Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson, “Rickey was Rickey.” And Rickey is Rickey.

I say because the general conception of Rickey Henderson… He was a devastating offensive player for almost his entire 25-year career. Carpenter's characterization of the speech again reinforced the notion that Rickey grabbed the microphone, said a variation of "Today I am the greatest of all time" and lifted his arms to the sky. Kemp was 28. The Astros are gonna to do this aren’t they. Stay on current site or go to US version. "First time I have ever won one,'' Stroman said. But when it's all said and done, I'll be a normal father. "First time I have ever won one,'' Stroman said.

Rickey Henderson passed Lou Brock on the all-time stolen bases list on May 1, 1991, and Tim Kurkjian remembers something about that day that didn't go as planned. Share with your friends. Rickey said, “Sorry, I forgot.”.

In 1991, Nolan Ryan threw his seventh no-hitter. Magic was 51.

Thank you. The young arms are impressing, so maybe an older arm moves? You love baseball. '', Brock smiled. He was 44. Twenty years after Henderson broke Brock's record, I saw Lou Brock at the pro shop in Cooperstown, New York, on Hall of Fame weekend. Rickey broke another record, which demanded another standing ovation. In his county in Long Island, he was named high school pitcher of the year, and Mets pitcher Steven Matz was named hitter of the year. Holloman made only nine starts after his no-hitter. David Ortiz, Gary Sheffield and Rafael Palmeiro never hit three homers in one game. In 1964, second baseman Jose Lind was born. Magic told me with a smile, "Look, that's my sport. Magic told me with a smile, “Look, that’s my sport. He is the sweetest, kindest man, a gentleman in every sense of the word. So while we await its return, every day we'll provide you with a story or two tied to this date in baseball history.