– Rickey Henderson. Page H11), "It gave me no chance. It came to a time that I had to stop. . My impact on the game was going out there and making things happen. David Cross spoofed the hell out of this one. Rickey don't like it when Rickey can't find Rickey's limo. "I'm already in the (record) books three or four times." Read at your own peril, but if you learn a thing or two, enjoy the experience. People say I stole a lot of bases. Interview with Susan Slusser, www.sfgate.com. I did so many things that made me a threat. Source: The Sporting News (September 4, 1989), "Lou Brock was a great base stealer but today I am the greatest." I love playing this game and every spring training feels like the first. I guess moms do know best. He has been married to Pam Palmer since 1983. Mr. Source: Widely Attributed, "I'm not a bad guy. I haven't had the time to say, 'I'm retiring.' To all the kids out there: Follow your dream. followed by an unknown author’s sarcastic comments (, If you enjoyed this installment of “The Red Lead everyone ever in runs and total bases. Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Speech, delivered 26 July 2009, Cooperstown, OH. Source: The Los Angeles Times (October 5, 2001, Rickey Runs Into History, Page D10), "Ask what time it is and most people look at their watch. Everyone anxiously awaited Rickey's Hall of Fame induction speech in 2009 to see how many times he'd refer to himself in the third person. You have to keep running. Sports Newsmakers. And Rickey got a 20-gallon hat. But my mother thought I would get hurt playing football, so she chose baseball for me. To all the kids out there: Follow your dream. Interview with Donald Marquez, www.athleticsnation.com. But its an honor. He made me understand what was my strike zone and - with my speed - the importance of making contact. And I couldn't get no autograph. I'm a Hall of Famer and I'm still fighting for it because I love the game and I love to play. Plow and Ricky should talk sometime. It just so happens that over the 23 years I think I went out there and did my job as well as I could do... and all of a sudden it's a record breaker... it's just an honor." All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. Rickey Nelson Henley Henderson (born December 25, 1958) is an American retired professional baseball left fielder who played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for nine teams from 1979 to 2003, including four separate tenures with his original team, the Oakland Athletics.Nicknamed the "Man of Steal", he is widely regarded as baseball's greatest leadoff hitter and baserunner. Yogi Berra is famous for his less-than-cerebral quotes. Copyright 1999- I know I certainly do. I feel like every year I get a year younger. He was motivated by numbers. I couldn't do that. Whether I'm 100 percent or 60 percent, I'm giving my best all the time." When I was a little-leaguer, I was sort of famous for stealing bases - and it started only because my mom wanted to be sure where I was in the afternoons. Plow liked those. A normal-type house man. My dream was to play football for the Oakland Raiders. However, the blog has taken on a personality of its own and often there's no need to take this forum too seriously. Just because I believed in what I was doing on the field and dedicated myself to playing the game, does that mean I’m cocky? I love playing this game and every spring training feels like the first. Henderson was known for referring to himself in the third person. Rickey Henderson was born on December 25, 1958 in Chicago, Illinois, USA as Rickey Henley Henderson. I don't think I ever got proper credit about being smart about the game. Does that mean I’m arrogant? I found it was impossible to throw some other guys out also. My dream was to play football for the Oakland Raiders. Nothing's impossible for Rickey. document.write(update); Not many The only name on my birth certificate was Henley, no first name. I can still steal a base anytime I get ready. You have to keep running. You don't have enough fingers and toes to count out Rickey. To all the kids out there: Follow your dream. One unconfirmed story reports seeing him standing naked in front of a Rickey could do things other players could only dream of. A guy with a blog…with a handful of books read by a handful of people? You never had the opportunity to play with some of the great ballplayers, but being that close around them, and being in the same category, was a great feeling, to feel that vibe of all the best players who played the game. But my mother thought I would get hurt playing football, so she chose baseball for me. Rickey Henderson looks at his legs. "Rickey Henderson – Razzball Interview". He could change a game that is for sure. Rickey Henderson set the modern Major League record for stolen bases in a single season in 1982 with one-hundred and thirty. When you're a kid, you want to be a millionaire. People say dumb things. Lead all Lead off hitters in HR RBI total bases. This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey was always pretty much into Rickey, but the impact he brought to a lineup as a leadoff hitter / base-stealer makes him a first-ballot Hall of Famer on this ballot." Believe in your dream. Somehow, I've been blessed to be able to have the young spirit inside - not feel like every year I get a year older. I don't wake up in the morning with aches and pains. That's what you want in a ballplayer - consistency." Rickey don't like it when Rickey can't find Rickey's limo. Quotes About Rickey Henderson "Ask what time it is and most people look at their watch.