I was in the same room while some of the biggest hearings of the summer were taking place. Administered by the Ralph J. Bunche Center at Howard University, the award may be used at most accredited graduate or professional schools toward a degree in international affairs or a related subject. Official webpage of The Program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. The program requires all documents to be submitted electronically. The program expects to have all documents to be submitted electronically. First, in order to enhance participants' academic preparation to work in international affairs, the Program provides two courses and a seminar that focus on enhancing knowledge and skills related to U.S. foreign policy, economics and writing. Like the Thomas R. Pickering Fellowship Program, the Rangel Fellowship Program guarantees a five-year contract in the Foreign Service to successful Fellows. The Rangel Program is a U.S. State Department program administered by Howard University that seeks to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers as diplomats in the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State. I am in my last few months of grad school and looking back, I’m so glad I applied. Create your online application. All rights reserved. If you successfully complete your contract, you have the option of becoming tenured. Click on the "Register" link and complete and submit the registration form. Download and print a copy of your application for your records by clicking on the icon in the Application Summary section in the right column. If there were slow moments (which didn’t happen often), I created my own opportunities. (Note: Applicants will upload this into the application using PDF format. Note: If an update is required prior to the Call for Applications period, you can make the update and resave as FINAL. First time visitor? Senator Ben Cardin was the chair of the Foreign Relations Committee during my time on the Hill. Background Information (e.g., name, contact information, international travel). Provides funding and internship experience for students interested in a career in the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State. This program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, women, and those with financial need. Should applicants have insuperable problems submitting a document electronically, they can consult with program staff about alternate methods (rangelprogram@howard.edu). ). The Charles B. Rangel Fellowship is a new, prestigious award for two years of graduate or professional schooling in international affairs, plus enrichment study at Howard University in Washington, D.C., internships in Congress and overseas, and eventual appointment to the U.S. Foreign Service. [24], John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Ralph J. Bunche International Affairs Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, School of International and Public Affairs, Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship, "Graduate Fellowship Program - Program Elements", "Aspiring diplomat earns prestigious internship in international affairs", "State Dept. Where do I begin? Every week, I gave one or two presentations or lead workshops regarding soft skills or some aspect of American culture to the Vietnamese public. The Charles B. Rangel Graduate Fellowship is a program that aims to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers in the State Department’s Foreign Service Office (FSO), especially members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. The program seeks individuals interested in helping to shape a freer, more secure and prosperous world through formulating, representing, and implementing U.S. foreign policy. The Rangel Graduate Fellowship program aims to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers in the Foreign Service in which they can help formulate, represent and implement U.S. foreign policy. Rangel Scholars explore careers in the State Department through the Summer Enrichment Program (SEP). I also did a workshop about teamwork with high school girls interested in STEM. … A candidate’s community, academic, extracurricular, and leadership activities will be considered during the selection process. When I interned at the U.S. Embassy in Vietnam, I saw how much my program prepared me. (You can unsubscribe anytime), 2218 6th Street, NW Washington, DC, 20059, Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program. If an applicant has not yet taken the GRE or GMAT she/he can place “0” or “NA” in the score box and upload a document that stating their intent to take the test.). We celebrate 40 years of trust, four decades transporting and moving our clients' success by land, sea and air. I visited Cambodia, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, and other parts of Vietnam. Candidates selected for final consideration will interview virtually on December 2 and 3. Some workshops/presentations I did included black American culture and history, personal branding, the Fourth of July, and the art of public speaking. At times the process was mentally draining and emotionally taxing because I really wanted it. Other cool parts of my internship at U.S. Embassy Hanoi was living in Embassy housing. My most rewarding experience during the internship was helping a Vietnamese student get into a college in the United States. Fellows who successfully complete the program and Foreign Service entry requirements will receive appointments as Foreign Service Officers, in accordance with applicable law and State Department policy, one of the most exciting and rewarding careers available. For a list of required information and attachments, please review the Application Requirements Guide. 3. There are two major components to the Rangel Program: The Rangel Graduate Fellowship is a program that aims to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers in the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State in which they can help formulate, represent and implement U.S. foreign policy. The application for the Summer Enrichment Program will be available in early to mid October 2020. Critical Language Scholarships for Intensive Summer Institutes, Pickering Foreign Affairs Graduate Fellowship. International Fellowships You Need To Know About [2], Undergraduate institutions that have had students selected for the program include the University of Illinois,[3] the University of Illinois at Chicago,[4] Fairfield University,[5] University of Missouri,[6] Princeton University,[7] Paine College,[8] Baruch College,[9] University of Maryland, Baltimore County,[10] Lincoln University,[11] University of Houston,[12] Oklahoma City University,[13] University of Georgia,[14] Ohio State University,[15] University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,[16] University of Maryland,[17] University of Central Florida,[18] University of South Florida,[19] Returning visitor? Official Financial Aid Statement from your senior year, if you received financial aid. The Rangel Program is a collaborative effort between Howard University and the U.S. State Department that seeks to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers as diplomats in the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State. I also learned about Congress’ role with the State Department and in international relations. On another, I traveled to Ha Long Bay and created this video for the Embassy. On one trip, I gave a brief speech to Vietnamese English teachers. @import url(https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.freshdesk.com/widget/freshwidget.css); Promoting a positive U.S. presence in the world that reflects and respects the strength and diversity of America. My experience has been nothing short of rewarding. If you require assistance or additional information, please contact the Program staff at rangelprogram@howard.edu. Thank God. Louisiana State University, Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Fellowship Program. Required fields are marked *. (Note: Applicants will upload this into the application using PDF format. The scholarship provides funding for two years of graduate study. However, we strongly encourage you to submit documents electronically. Rangel Fellows are committed to serving their country and promoting positive change globally. The Rangel Fellowship is a State Department program that leads to careers in the Foreign Service. Applicants are expected to undertake the steps necessary to complete the process of applying for a Foreign Service Officer position. Prior to the Rangel Fellowship, I was always uncertain about my life’s direction. Please enter your email address and password to log in. The program seeks individuals interested in helping to shape a freer, more secure and prosperous world through formulating, representing, and implementing U.S. foreign policy. A personal statement (in 600 words or less) that discusses the applicants’ reasons for applying, interest in foreign affairs, commitment to pursue a Foreign Service career and any relevant experience or information. The Program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. Use the "Log in" button and start your online application. Student Aid Report (SAR) generated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for the 2021-2022 school year (opening October 1). If you did not receive financial aid, you do not have to submit this. The Rangel Graduate Fellowship Program aims to attract and prepare young people for careers in international service. That summer we had the secretary of state and two assistant secretaries visit. Consideration will be given to qualified applicants who, in addition to outstanding leadership skills and academic achievement, demonstrate financial need. Seriously.I was awarded the 2017 Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship a week after the 2016 presidential election. honor turns student's 'dream into a reality, "2014 Graduate Eric Salgado Awarded Prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "Past MSA President Earns Prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "Princeton senior receives Rangel Fellowship in international affairs", "Paine College senior awarded prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "Baruch Alumna Receives Rangel Fellowship for Graduate Work in International Affairs", "Vivian Ekey '11 Chosen as Rangel Fellow", "Lincoln University senior earns prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "Oklahoma City University alumna awarded Rangel Fellowship", "UGA Honors student is first recipient of Charles B. Rangel Graduate Fellowship", "The Ohio State University Alumnus Joshua Gonzalez Wins Prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "UMD Alumnus Cameron Torreon Earns Rangel Fellowship", "Fellowship Prepares UCF Student for Life Around the World", "CAS alumna receives Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship", "MTSU alumnus Pratt earns Rangel Fellowship, heads to GWU", "Pablo Tutillo '13 earns prestigious Rangel Graduate Fellowship", "Alumnus Calvin Lee Hayes Earns Prestigious Rangel Fellowship", "Graduate Fellowship Program - Rangel Fellows In The News", "Graduate Fellowship Program - Rangel Fellows", U.S. Department of State Foreign Service Officer, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Charles_B._Rangel_International_Affairs_Fellowship&oldid=983678686, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Engineering, Architecture & Computer Sciences, This page was last edited on 15 October 2020, at 16:26.