So those conversations can open up a hidden world. When it comes to sort of personal interactions, maybe she doesn't score quite as high.". Scarcity, the economic principle that there are limited resources but unlimited needs, underpins almost all of modern economic study. They have a kind of intimate relationship," Michelle Hurd tells SYFY WIRE. He's not.". New episodes of Star Trek: Picard become available to stream Thursdays on CBS All Access. I’d show you around my estate, but it’s more of a hovel, so that would just be humiliating.” Indeed, the show’s visuals support Raffi’s characterization: she appears to live in a futuristic trailer while Picard has a functioning vineyard. Like Comic-Con. They still have a voice. And as Picard’s crew approaches that planet, hologram approximations of pop-up ads appear on board, one which Agnes (Alison Pill) must literally punch out. He learned of a new Romulan threat even more secretive than the Tal Shiar, and we heard the other side of the argument that led to Picard leaving Starfleet. When I’m doing a scene, I’m able to ask him if we’re taking the character in the right direction and my favorite answer is when he tells me something very different from what I thought we were going for. A one-stop shop for all things video games. The episode saw Jean-Luc Picard further investigating Data's daughters, Dahj and Soji Asha, and clandestine Romulan operations on Earth. But as a whole, money and economic interests are far more ubiquitous in the first five episodes of Star Trek: Picard than in all seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation. At the start of Star Trek: Picard Episode 3, "The End is the Beginning," we learn the heartbreaking origin of why Raffi and Jean-Luc stopped working together 14 years before. Somewhat infamously, back in 1967, Harlan Ellison's original script for the beloved Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever," would have featured a drug addict aboard the Starship Enterprise. Unique to any Trek series before it, the vast majority of the principal cast of Star Trek: Picard does not dress in the requisite matching Starfleet uniforms that pervade all previous versions of the franchise. Disclaimer: ComicBook.com is owned by ViacomCBS. Such a technology would fundamentally change how societies function. Star Trek: Picard Season 1 has six episodes left. That is a far more interesting conflict than talk about furniture. Towards the end of the episode, Picard took a very particular taxi to the home of someone named Raffi Musiker. Most commonly, food is an example of a scarce resource. "Raffi's a really interesting character," Hurd says. She was so full of complexities and imperfections and struggles," she says. Hurd laughs and responds simply with: "Mhm. Of all the series, Star Trek: Picard is the furthest in the future, and yet its economics is the most regressive. a new Romulan threat even more secretive than the Tal Shiar, the other side of the argument that led to Picard leaving Starfleet, the mission that led to Picard leaving Starfleet, Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Trailer Released, Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 First Teaser Released, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Is Reading Shakespeare Online for Fans During Coronavirus Pandemic. His tweet reviews can be found at jthunter13. While the specific details of Raffi’s departure from the Federation are not entirely clear, Raffi’s animosity toward Picard is reasonable. - February 1, 2020 05:29 pm EST. Jim is a Weekend Editor at Screen Rant, the film critic for WEHT/WTVW, and co-host of two podcasts on YouTube, Jim and Garret at the Movies and Deadly Analysis, which focuses on philosophy and horror films. He is not entirely driven by a quest for money; he says, “I’ve already had one grand heroic captain in my life.” And his eventual agreement to accompany Picard implies that he’s willing to follow another hero on a noble mission. All the latest gaming news, game reviews and trailers. Star Trek: Picard is an American web television series featuring the character Jean-Luc Picard, created for CBS All Access by Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, Kirsten Beyer, and Alex Kurtzman.It is the eighth series in the Star Trek franchise, and was launched in 2020 as part of Kurtzman's expansion of the franchise. Just three episodes in, Star Trek: Picard on CBS All Access has established itself as a top-notch drama — as well as something new for the franchise. And Hurd's childhood connection to Star Trek isn't just limited to the serious, important stuff, too. Star Trek: Picard's characters focus on money and materialism more than any other entry in the franchise, indicating a very different world. "You could write people off as alcoholics or drug addicts or whatever; but for the majority of people, there was a core event that subconsciously or consciously changed their path and they started to have to lean on vices. When their plan to rescue the Romulans was dashed by the Synth Revolt on Mars, Picard resigned from Starfleet and Raffi was fired. A scarcity-free economy is difficult to dramatize when so much of what motivates contemporary people’s daily grinds revolves around money and material goods. By submitting your information, you agree to our, Star Trek: Picard star Michelle Hurd explains how Raffi is a Star Trek game-changer, The best horror comic book movie adaptations for people who love to cross genres, WIRE Buzz: Static Shock attracts producer Michael B. Jordan; Falcon & Winter Soldier; Scream 5, Final Destination 2 creator says film was originally written to have a Black lead, DuckTales creators talk 'dangerous' Darkwing special and building a Disney Afternoon-iverse, Tatiana Maslany refutes She-Hulk casting report: Lead role in Disney+ series ‘not actually a thing’, Indie Comics Spotlight: Blue in Green is a gorgeous exercise in improvisational jazz and horror.