Even when he’s not pitching, the straps on his Nike cleats are embroidered with “Pig” in bold red font. Get TMZ breaking news sent right to your browser! In some ways, 2020 marked the passing of the torch for the Dodgers’ top two starting pitchers. 2 min read. It is all here. And Jace was never really much of a talker so when something like that was a huge burden on him, he didn't know how to share it. 10/12/2020, 10:00 AM. How to vote. #DODGERSWIN When he starts for the Dodgers on Sunday, the day he turns 25, he will take a 9-1 record and a 3.23 ERA into a matchup with the Washington Nationals. Matthew earned the nickname “Pig” from friends Joe Kelly and Ty Burdick. "He was my best friend.". I got 12 years with him, so I’m pretty lucky that way.”. #DodgersNation #dodgers #losangeles #lafans #doyers #baseball #mlb #besbol #fans #lableedsblue #thinkblue #ChavezRavine #HollywoodLifestyle #ItsAnLAThing #ITFDB #vivalosdoyers #LATogether ... DODGERS WIN!!! Dodgers: Walker Buehler Talks ‘Little Brother’ Relationship with Clayton Kershaw. He gave Walker experiences I wasn’t able to give my own kid. They couldn’t say his name was Matt. He was there for Nomar, Greg Maddux, and Blake DeWitt, and he'll be there for Walker Buehler, Alex Verdugo, Dustin May, and any Dodgers of the future. - Four-year-old Walker Buehler and his Uncle Matthew “Pig” Buehler enjoy a day at the lake. 17 SMU a 37-34 win over Tulane. Clint is the lead editor of Dodgers Nation, and a host and analyst on Dodgers Nation's own Blue Heaven podcast live stream. Dodgers: Walker Buehler Talks ‘Little Brother’ Relationship with Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers Nation) by Clint Pasillas October 12, 2020. "He was my best friend." “It’s great when I get on Facebook and see my kid walking around Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and he’s doing it with such a great heart,” Tony said. My dad was the younger brother, so I’m sure watching your older brother go through that was tough for him,” Walker said. Walker’s uncle, Matthew “Pig” Buehler, passed away from cancer years after battling the disease as a kid. by Clint Pasillas 10/12/2020, 10:00 AM My brother was athletic, as was I. The ads on the site are the primary source of income for our team and we would appreciate if you could whitelist our site in your adblocker, so that we can continue managing this amazing community! #DODGERSUP Walker Buehler’s relationship with his father involved a lot of athletics. 2 bombs! "DOUBLE DOUBLE5" After years of having a de facto number 1 starter for LA whenever the opportunity has presented itself, the club has found itself in an enviable position of being able to set the rotation for each series. Grand Tour Nation Events #POSTSZNSZN “Walker has a platform now and he can do really good things like raise money. 14 BYU rallies past Houston. The Dodgers defeated the Atlanta Braves 7-3 in the NLCS Game 5 with excellent pitching from the relief corps. Matthew was 12 … I believe that Betts snag was the turning point for the Dodgers. #DodgersNation #dodgers #losangeles #lafans #doyers #baseball #mlb #besbol #fans #lableedsblue #thinkblue #ChavezRavine #HollywoodLifestyle #ItsAnLAThing #ITFDB #vivalosdoyers #LATogether ... Seag Sauce Puttin In That Double Double Work Tonight! NEXT: How to Watch the Dodgers Play the Braves in the Playoffs. And each time, manager Dave Roberts has handed the ball to Walker Buehler over Clayton Kershaw. On Sunday, Buehler did just that. He was Uncle Pig and a treasure.”. The complete list of L.A. Times’ endorsements in the November 2020 election. Dustin May doesn’t provide Walker Buehler moment, but other Dodgers deliver win. More specifically, how his and Clayton’s relationship has grown over his career. ", "But never too much for a community or never too much for the people and the family that you love. Throughout his career, from being drafted in the first round in 2015 to making his first All-Star team his season, Buehler has made sure to keep his uncle’s memory alive. When pressed to add some more context to the relationship, Buehler said he could see the little brother angle… the annoying little brother. And just watching what he does day to day, that hasn’t changed for me. Moreover, it presents an opportunity for the pitchers to talk about their relationship with one another. DODGERS LEAD 4-2!!! Hernández: Mookie Betts’ big plays keep the Dodgers on their feet. The elder-statesman Kershaw has 13 big league seasons under his belt and has far and away established himself as a future Hall of Famer. Dodgers pitcher Walker Buehler shows off his tattoo of a message from his his late Uncle Matthew, re-created in his uncle’s handwriting: “Always do your best U Pig”. It’s very special for my family and I.”. Your email address will not be published. Matthew underwent three years of pediatric cancer treatments that left him with a diminutive stature compared with his schoolmates. So we have to share those things.". Matthew died in 2005, weeks shy of his 38th birthday. He recalled an instance where he was an inch shorter than the required height to drive by himself. He made this decision. 129,607, Official Instagram Account of #DodgersNation ⚾️. After that, boom! Don't Miss Any of the Latest Dodgers News, Rumors, and Exclusive Offers! The guy let me through, and my uncle winked at me,” Walker said with a laugh. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a7e00e14047f5d7237d383c439c3c179" );document.getElementById("dca9be0ccc").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. “In a weird and phenomenal way, I was always jealous of their relationship,” Tony said. Uncle Pig couldn’t take part in physically demanding athletic activities, so he and Walker created memories in other ways. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. ©2020 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. 3,039 Thirty minutes later, Buehler glanced in the mirror at his first and only tattoo with on the left side of his torso that read in identical script, “Always do your best U Pig.”, “I didn’t want my kids to get any tattoos. Get our Dodgers Dugout newsletter for insights, news and much more. “But [when] I saw my kid got that tattoo, I started crying.”. He’s going to use his platform in his own special way to remember his Uncle Pig.”. Go Dodgers! “He never had any kids of his own because of the cancer treatment. "She couldn't necessarily hide it from Jace because he was there every day. Jace tragically died at 31 years old in April ... but the family hadn't disclosed the cause of death until Dak and his other brother, Tad, sat down for a recent interview with Graham Bensinger. DNList. “He was really small in high school and he fell asleep outside of their high school under a tree,” Walker said. Dak Prescott just revealed his older brother took his own life this past spring ... and the Dallas Cowboys QB says he's still having a hard time coping with it all. Described by his younger brother Tony as the life and the best of the family, Matthew “Pig” Buehler overcame stark odds as a child. Obviously, walking into a clubhouse with a guy like that, there’s gonna be instant respect. Walker was like his kid.”. Dodgers: Walker Buehler Talks ‘Little Brother’ Relationship with Clayton Kershaw. Whether his earlier bout with cancer was responsible for him developing cancer again later in life remains unknown to his family. Here are the Los Angeles Times’ editorial board endorsements for president, California ballot measures and more. Will Smith with the knock, and then the rest was pretty crazy! California is slowly gaining jobs, but unemployment remains grim, Will Smith’s homer helps Dodgers rally past Braves in Game 5, Will Smith’s homer helps Dodgers rally past Braves. @will.smith Grand Tour Nation News “In a lot of ways, it made our family closer. MVP! “When you have the ability to do little things like that, it’s kind of a cool thing for me. Contribute – Full-Time and Part-Time Positions in Los Angeles Sports, Dodgers NLCS: Los Angeles Wins Game 5 to Stay Alive in the Series, Dodgers: Alex Wood Feels Team’s Past Success Makes it Difficult to Get Motivated in Big Moments, Dodgers NLCS: Dustin May Gets the Ball With LA Facing Elimination. Pick up his tribute tee! Waiting for your permission to load the comments. “Because Walker lit up when he was with Pig. We will NEVER share your email with anyone! Get all the Best Dodgers stories straight to your Inbox! He never got to live out what middle school and high school was about because he was dealing with cancer. “Walker was very lucky to know my brother for as long as he did. Momentum Is Ours.... Where to vote. He was as competitive as they come. In his mid-30s, Matthew was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, a cancer of epithelial tissue, the cells that cover the surface of the body’s organs. Maybe that’s just because I’ve been here a little bit now. After years He still wanted to be involved.”. Disaster funds will help rebuilding and cleanup efforts in the aftermath of several blazes, including the Bobcat and Creek fires. He saw the times where she would have to spend probably 10-plus hours throwing up, this and that, and saw the medicine she had to take. It probably hasn’t changed a whole lot on my end. - by His relationship with his uncle was different. The Times endorses one incumbent and three newcomers for the Los Angeles Community College District Board of Trustees. That’s all they knew him by.