: […] With a frightened young girl as his passenger, he rowed his boat toward a lighted house on the north side of the river.

Sometimes a "conductor" pretending to be a slave would go to a plantation to guide the fugitives on their way. The Underground Railroad was a secret network of abolitionists (people who wanted to abolish slavery). Il oppose deux zones géographiques, le Nord et le Sud, et, à la différence de ce qui s'est passé dans les colonies anglaises et françaises, il s'aggrave avec le temps. Avec Underground Railroad, l’Américain Colson Whitehead nous ­entraîne dans les entrailles d’une Amérique esclavagiste qui n’aurait jamais dû exister. Ils s'arrêtaient le jour dans ces fameuses « stations » ou « dépôts » afin de se reposer. Karolyn Smardz Frost, I’ve Got a Home in Glory Land (2007), Rona Arato, Working for Freedom: the Story of Josiah Henson (2009), Adrienne Shadd, Afua Cooper, Karolyn Smardz Frost, The Underground Railroad, Next Stop Toronto!
», Notices dans des dictionnaires ou encyclopédies généralistes, http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/~Heritage/Black/Loyalists.htm, Attentat de l'église baptiste de la 16e rue, Marche sur Washington pour l'emploi et la liberté, Église épiscopale méthodiste africaine de Sion, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, Liste des batailles navales de la guerre de Sécession, Chemins de fer confédérés dans la guerre de Sécession, Tactiques et stratégies ferroviaires dans la guerre de Sécession, Organisation sanitaire durant la guerre de Sécession, Artillerie de campagne durant la Guerre de Sécession, Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, Élection présidentielle de 1861 dans les États confédérés, Élection présidentielle américaine de 1864, Liste des espions de la guerre de Sécession, https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chemin_de_fer_clandestin&oldid=175630836, Article contenant un appel à traduction en anglais, Page pointant vers des dictionnaires ou encyclopédies généralistes, Portail:Guerre de Sécession/Articles liés, Portail:Époque contemporaine/Articles liés, licence Creative Commons attribution, partage dans les mêmes conditions, comment citer les auteurs et mentionner la licence. Abandonnée par sa mère lorsqu’elle était enfant, elle survit tant bien que mal à la violence de sa condition. De nombreuses sources populaires, non académiques, prétendent que des spirituals et d'autres chants, comme « Steal Away » ou « Follow the Drinking Gourd », contenaient des renseignements codés et aidaient des personnes à se diriger sur le chemin de fer, mais ces sources apportent très peu de preuves appuyant leurs dires. Des milliers d'autres rejoignirent à nouveau le Sud américain après la fin de la guerre.

“The only way I knew who they were was to ask them, ‘what you say?’ And they would answer, ‘Menare.’” Gragston believed the word came from the Bible but was unsure of its origin or meaning. Les lieux de repos où ces derniers pouvaient dormir et manger avaient pour noms de code « stations » ou « dépôts » et étaient dirigés par des « chefs de gare. They cleared and cultivated the land, built homes and raised families. The Underground Railroad, a vast network of people who helped fugitive slaves escape to the North and to Canada, was not run by any single organization or person. Among the best known "conductors" is Harriet Tubman, a former slave who returned to slave states 19 times and brought more than 300 slaves to freedom—using her shotgun to threaten death to any who lost heart and wanted to turn back. Il n’y a pas de manière exaltante de dire ça. Les histoires sur les fugitifs du chemin de fer clandestin sont consignées dans une chronique intitulée « The Underground Railroad Records (en) ». “I can see well, have an excellent appetite, but my grandchildren will let me eat only certain things that they say the doctor ordered that I should eat. Chaque nom était un investissement, un capital vivant, le profit fait chair. Hammond’s mother was a house slave and her father, George Berry, “a free colored man of Annapolis.”, Davidson, she remembered, entertained on a lavish scale, and her mother was in charge of the meals. The Underground Railroad’s "stockholders" contributed money or goods. Any interactives on this page can only be played while you are visiting our website. Les esclaves voyageaient de nuit, environ 15 à 30 km séparaient chaque station. As she recounted her experiences as a slave in a 1938 interview with the Federal Writers’ Project, Hammond looked back on a life of 94 years with justified pride and satisfaction. To flee Maryland, Hammond and her family clambered into “a large covered wagon” operated by a Mr. Coleman, who delivered merchandise to the towns between Baltimore and Hanover, Pa. “Mother and father and I were concealed in a large wagon drawn by six horses,” Hammond recalled. Tracks to FreedomTravel down the interactive Tracks to Freedom website to learn about the people and events associated with the legendary Underground Railroad. This applied to people living in states that supported slavery as well as those living in free states. var NetMarketingAdvisers_goal = { id: "1275" }; Civil War Times Editor Dana Shoaf shares the story of how Battery H of the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery found itself in the middle of the Battle of Gettysburg. URL : https://www.universalis.fr/encyclopedie/underground-railroad/, Encyclopædia Universalis - Contact - Mentions légales - Consentement RGPD, Consulter le dictionnaire de l'Encyclopædia Universalis. amérique   Ce compromis répara en apparence tous les problèmes régionaux. William Still would eventually be united with one of his enslaved brothers, Peter, who escaped to freedom in the North—a miraculous event that after the war inspired William to compile his history, hoping it would promote similar reunions. In The Underground Rail Road, a remarkable book published in 1872, Still recounted the stories of escaped slaves whose experiences were characterized by courage, resourcefulness, pain at forced partings from family members and, above all, a desperate longing for freedom.
Chatham, Owen Sound, Windsor, The slave or slaves had to make a getaway from their owners, usually by night. Cora, esclave délaissée par sa mère fugitive, perdue parmi tant d'autres dans une plantation de coton en Géorgie. Never­theless, it served its purpose. Slaves had been making their way north to freedom since the late 18th century. “I hadn’t even thought about rowing across the river myself.”. They often gave them money before sending them to the next transfer point. The Underground Railroad was formed in the early 19th century and reached its height between 1850 and 1860. He used to beat us, sure; but not nearly so much as others did, some of his own kin people, even.”, Tabb seemed especially fond of Gragston and “let me go all about,” but Gragston realized what would happen if he were caught helping a slave escape to freedom—Tabb would probably shoot him or whip him with a rawhide strap. It became the main terminus of the Underground Railroad. Ces stations étaient des lieux isolés, des granges par exemple. The time had come for Gragston and his wife to make the journey themsleves. Ce roman sur l'esclavage aux États-Unis est puissant et mérite tous les honneurs qu'il a remportés à sa sortie, dont le prestigieux prix Pulitzer. Much of what we know today comes from accounts after the Civil War and accurate statistics about fugitive slaves using the Underground Railway may never be verifiable. Map. Après l'adoption par le Congrès, en 1850, d'une nouvelle loi plus sévère contre les esclaves en fuite, l'Underground Railroad connut une activité intense. He hid from his baffled pursuers in the kitchen of a nearby merchant until he decided he wanted to go to Petersburg, Va., where his free wife and two children lived.

The museum is currently open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m Newest Navy Sub to be Named After WWII Legend. But as the division between slave and free states hardened in the first half of the 19th century, abolitionists and their sympathizers developed a more methodical approach to assisting runaways.

Ceci conduisit à l'un des principaux griefs de l'Union dans la guerre de Sécession[9]. Construit avec habileté et une étonnante maîtrise, extrêmement visuel, régulièrement rythmé par des ellipses provisoires qui lui offrent une tonalité alerte et un plaisir immédiat, le roman, emmené par Cora, jeune héroïne esclave, n’échappe jamais à l’enthousiasme du lecteur. A number of different routes took shape throughout the Underground Railroad’s time, with destinations like northern US states, Mexico and the Caribbean. Even as he mourned the loss of his son, Hill reflected on his contentment.

William Still[12], souvent appelé « le père du chemin de fer clandestin », aida des centaines d'esclaves à s'échapper (jusqu'à 60 par mois), les cachant parfois dans sa maison de Philadelphie. The routes that were travelled to get to freedom were called “lines.” The network of routes went through 14 Northern states and two British North American colonies — « UNDERGROUND RAILROAD », Encyclopædia Universalis [en ligne], Where black people have come from (freedom from slavery), to where black people are today. The elderly woman who lived there approached him with an extraordinary request: “She had a real pretty girl there who wanted to go across the river, and would I take her?”, The dangers, as Gragston well knew, were great. They helped African Americans escape from enslavement in the American South to free Northern states or to Canada. Selon les termes du Fugitive Slave Act de 1850, lorsque des fugitifs suspectés étaient attrapés puis emmenés devant un magistrat spécial connu sous le nom de commissaire, ils n'avaient pas le droit à un procès avec jury et ne pouvaient témoigner en leur propre nom. Passengers were delivered to “stations” or “depots,” which were safe houses. The Underground Railroad was the network used by enslaved black Americans to obtain their freedom in the 30 years before the Civil War (1860-1865). historique   La route était parfois empruntée dans les deux sens : par ceux qui s'enfuyaient vers le nord et par ceux qui retournaient dans le Sud soit pour rechercher leur famille, soit pour aider d'autres Noirs à s'enfuir. This enabled them to conceal their abolitionist activities. I couldn’t see a thing there in the dark, but I felt that girl’s eyes.”, Gragston was certain the effort would end badly. Many made the treacherous voyage by foot. As a result, “mother and I were to remain in slavery.”, The resourceful Berry, however, was undeterred. Harriet Tubman: Underground Railroad . Il n'était pas rare que des Noirs libres - les personnes affranchies (anciens esclaves) mais aussi ceux qui n'avaient jamais été esclaves - soient enlevés pour être vendus comme esclaves. Renonçant à devenir pasteur de l'Église de la Congrégation, il se rend dans l'Ohio, en Pennsylvanie, au Massachusetts et exerce une série de métiers (conducteur, ta […]