My heart aches already. No, I couldn't have.The sirens knocked me out of my trance and I backed away, slowly at first, before finally turning and running inside.I stared at my hands. March 30, 2020, Coronavirus (COVID-19) Teaching from Home Ideas You may also enjoy Poetry for Students, Civil War Stories and WWI Stories. It examines the difficulty of growing toward adulthood with little guidance. From terminal illness to infidelity, writer Lorrie Moore covers serious and inescapable topics that inevitably become part of life. Michael Obi is appointed headmaster of an African school. As a topic that remains uncomfortable and terrible to discuss even today, reading about how people navigate such truths in a conversation is healthy exposure for students. Some folks talk about how other towns are doing away with the lottery, but this is dismissed as crazy talk. He takes a walk in the nearby gardens. A beggar named Drioli comes across a painting in a gallery created by an old acquaintance, Soutine. The narrator is educated, weak, and Jewish; he knows he won't be readily accepted by the soldiers. In Sialkot, A father, Wisdom, was telling his children that honesty never goes unrewarded. A local despot proclaims that all aged people are to be put to death. Inside, a man smiled grimly as he turned from the bathroom cabinet, entered the primitive living room of his mountain camp, and crossed to a closet set in the pine wall. Teens will be encouraged to look at what success and failure mean to them and how to create the life they want. Ivan is known in his village as a timid, fearful man. These stories have been selected to deepen a students appreciation of the short story form, and will help them improve critical thinking and analytical skills while they prepare for college. Short Stories for High School II is our encore collection. Then one day he saw it hanging in the town square. . Furious with Eckels, Travis shoots him. The delivery of the story provides a rich jumping-off point for teachers who want to discuss serial fiction, which played an important role in American literature but has recently been in decline. Respond with your short story and you could win $50! All Curated … He has been doing this since he turned 21. The novel helps children understand that books are the key to understanding the unfair and often heartbreaking … Outside, the woods lay in clear October sunlight: the autumn air was full of the sharp, exciting smell of moist, leaf-covered earth. The story by Morris Gleitzman is a great history lesson for middle or high school students. Jackson Creed, flanked by Kurt Marshall and George Paulson, the new kid with pimples, cornered Timothy into the stall and pushed his head into the toilet. Ambrose Bierce captures the essence of the fine line between reality and fantasy in the 3,700-word story, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. I like the prose "they're made out of meat". Sure, he flailed his legs and screamed into the water so bubbles erupted around his head, but he just knew he needed to make a show.But his neck—now that hurt. He is confident that this year's crop will be excellent because rain is coming. His hair was chestnut brown with frost t... By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. Thanks for compiling this! Moreover, Klay’s details of war offer generous details that civilians rarely have to think about. I’d like to share with you a list of my favorite short stories to teach to high-schoolers. This other boy throws sand in Larry's direction, narrowly missing him. He apologizes profusely but isn't satisfied that the matter is closed. J.D. Bill and Ruthie are on a road trip. While Roald Dahl is a more unusual choice for a high school reading list, teens will likely be familiar with his work, which can be motivational in getting them to read. The two major themes of this story are the concept of individual needs versus the greater good and the prevalence of lies. For teachers seeking a contemporary female voice that helps unite students in a global perspective — and understand what it means to find one’s place in the world — this is a must-read. In a monologue, a teacher relates all the experiences with death that his class had one year. The boy makes it to the bazaar as it is closing and doesn't find a suitable gift in the stands left open. Since a pig can eat an orange, the citizens are worried that their city will suffer and Kwan-Si will prosper. Read "They're Made Out of Meat" (815 words). The narrator answers the door but finds no one there. there!" Authors include Ambrose Bierce, Kate Chopin, James Joyce, Stephen Crane, Robert Frost, Katherine Mansfield, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Sherwood Anderson, and … Bindu had her hat on her face but Jessie knows she is rolling her eyes. These are the stories that well-read students should know as they prepare for college and life! Myop is a ten-year-old girl who is out exploring the woods behind her family's sharecropper cabin on a beautiful summer day. George Saunders just might be one of the greatest fiction writers of the modern era. "The Scarlet Ibis" is a moving story. A muddy color. With common themes of racial tensions and mistreatment of women, Chopin's works help students examine prejudices in the world, making her work especially relevant in the 21st century. Visit Short Story Guide to find the right one. Techies tested the lights and sound system. This story is great for teens because it captures the spirit of a troubled youthful romance. I’m tired of having the same argument weekend after weekend! What are the messages the author delivers in this story? Since I don’t teach an age group younger than sophomores, my students have already read many of the most famous short stories:  “The Monkey’s Paw,” “The Telltale Heart,” “The Lottery,” “The Most Dangerous Game,” “The Gift of the Magi,” etc. The narrator’s panic increases as their unusual abilities accumulate. Read on for 15 recommendations from secondary English Language Arts teachers. These short stories contain plenty of discussion points as well, and they are a great way to introduce different styles of writing. The narrator tells us about her name—what it means in Spanish and English, its history in her family and whether it suits her. We at Reedsy use our weekly short story contest to fill a never-ending well of exciting new short stories for high school students. There's only one other child there. It is an emotional story that details how everyone reacts to instances of death and suicide differently.