But Child paints believable, interesting and reasonably detailed scenes for your mind’s eye and I enjoy that. You’ve seen them on duty, many times, sometimes close-up. “This isn’t funny, asshole. It’s not about what happened an hour and seventeen minutes ago, he said to himself. Running Blind (Jack Reacher #4) Two naked women found dead in a bath filled with paint. Just as carefully as you would mark the play card you knew for sure was going to win you a fortune. “Out of the vehicle,” she said. It was a small hand, pale and slim. You know what they look for. The how (and who) was telegraphed fairly early and I hoped - so hard - that it was going to be red herring. Sie hat sich seitdem auf insgesamt 25 Bücher vergrößert. The cinder block was cold and the paint was slick. They kept their distance and crossed to the opposite sidewalk to avoid coming near him. He heard the crackle of legal documents and the phone went down. In the United States; the book was released under the title Running Blind. Not like in the movies. It touched the glass with a cold metallic click. He used his left hand to go into each pocket in turn. Must be great, right? The right one was canted sideways and it overlaid the left one by a fraction. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 28, 2016. “OK, but screw the alley. A woman’s hand. The guy on the right was making a sweeping gesture with his hand. After reading half a dozen or so Reacher novels in the last couple of months, a couple of things are starting to become clear. Amy Callan and Lt. Caroline Cook are both high-flying, career army women, both victims of sexual harassment by their superiors, both forced to resign. All that was left was to read through the remainder of the book hoping for some action and suspense which unfortunately was sorely lacking. What would you do? and over 8 million other books are available for, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As always Reacher. The two guys walked slowly to the door, heads up, confident. Gotta stink. GARRISON IS A place on the east bank of the Hudson River, up in Putnam County, about fifty-eight road miles north from Tribeca. The two guys Reacher was watching were standing close to the bar, talking quietly to the owner. “When are they coming back?” Reacher asked. The label read Mostro’s has protection already. U.S. Department of Justice. They’re scared of me. Suppose you knew the winning numbers for … The more knowledge, the more power. Some of them are better than others. There was a new telephone next to a new reservations book. How could you, with your intelligence? They were dressed in identical dark wool coats which gave them breadth and bulk. It was not a pretty face, but it was interesting. You have no problem with careful preparation. The room was cinder block, painted gray like the first one, but this ceiling was finished. The way to take a blow from a bat is to get near, and get near early. You find the most demanding readers and you write for them.". A lop-sided inquisition, hunching toward him, indistinct through the glare of the lights. Suspense Reacher shook his head. He had it back in place within a second and a half. Just gobble it right up! Fluorescent fittings hung from chains and threw a flat glare across the gray. He stopped and turned and stood like an impatient man bemused by their reluctance to follow him. An absolute Must Read! Then he nodded. Why not? What would you do? Reacher waited a beat and then he jacked himself upright and stepped away from his corner. The ceiling was unfinished, and the ducting was all visible, square trunking made from thin flecked metal. Jack truly loves Jodie and Jodie truly loves Jack, but he's not at all sure about this homeownership business. Up close, they were impressive enough. Running Blind (Jack Reacher #4) Women are being murdered nationwide by a killer who leaves no trace of evidence, no fatal wounds, no signs of struggle, and no clues to an apparent motive. Did they not read the books? “Big reputation as an associate. So it was hard to tell if Reacher was with Jodi Garber for a year + or a few months. Footsteps, the rattle of the handle, the door opening, the stare. Go give our best regards to Mr. Petrosian, and then go to the hospital.”. Then all the momentum the guy is trying to put into it becomes a weapon to use against him. Same for the stock market. Barely able to stand. Somebody had used a round-tipped file, rubbing from the muzzle toward the trigger guard. Col. LaSalle Kruger (mention) - Commanding Officer, Supply Battalion, former Special Forces and wounded in Desert Storm. The guy crouched on the floor nodded vaguely and the couple at the distant table watched him go. Running Blind = The visitor (Jack Reacher #4), Lee Child. And now they’re both dead. They were junior guys. Poulton turned his head like he had been slapped. Reacher could see their faces in the dull mirrors behind the liquor bottles. He put a lot of sneer in his voice, like out of all the whole spectrum of worrisome rivals his bosses could possibly think of, Petrosian was so far down the list he was just about totally invisible. All of them? There was tension between them. Walked into the alley. You would run to the store. Grab this thriller. The blouse looked like polyester that had been washed many times. He smiled again and clicked and printed and laid the finished ribbons on the seat next to him. But that stuff is meat and potatoes to you. The Good: I enjoyed the flow of this book. His arms and legs were starting a slow-motion scrabble for grip. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 October 2018. In the U.S., without a doubt. They were surrounding his car. Football, hockey, next year’s World Series, any kind of sports at all, if you could predict the future, you’d be home free. We don't claim any rights. Do you judge a book by its price? Berkley; Reprint Edition (August 28, 2007). “Special Agent Tony Poulton,” the sandy guy said, and glanced to his left. You’re talking about knowledge. If I wanted to be a basketball player, I'd always be second-best if I stayed in Europe. Please try again. Same for basketball, same for the horses, whatever. Save Your Money; A Waste of Money and Time, Reviewed in the United States on May 11, 2019. The identity of the killer was telegraphed about half way. The first edition of the novel was published in July 14th 2000, and was written by Lee Child. Reacher glanced away and came around the block and parked illegally at the mouth of the alley that ran down toward the kitchen doors. The farther back you swing it, the later it is before you can get it moving forward again. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Syrians or Lebanese maybe, with their Arab scrappiness bred out of them by a generation of living in America. The same thing happened over again five minutes later. Then they chat politely about the Yankees or the stock market or something.”, “I’m Alan Deerfield,” he said. In fact, they almost seem to have been complicit. Then he paused again. “I don’t know,” he said. He was a subnormal guy. "That was a wonderful, wonderful job," he says. There was track lighting bolted to it, with large can-shaped fixtures angled down and toward him. Lee Child is one of my all-time favourite authors - along with David Baldacci and Michael Connelly. So this was the first Reacher book where it felt far more detective than action-hero. The place was named Mostro’s, which as far as he understood Italian translated as monster’s. A whole crowd of people came back together, noisy in the corridor, like an anxious herd. He took the bat with him and turned the other guy face upward with a hand in his hair. When it comes to killing people. Another fantastic book in the series! The two guys came back right on time in a black Mercedes sedan. That somehow, Lee Child was going to surprise us and come up with a fiendish technique that catch me unawares before the end of the book. The plot is a masterpiece. It was late in the evening, but they were all pumped up with excitement. He heard her voice coming at him out of the darkness. And an ending that depends on hypnosis as a "body-snatchers" mind control tactic. Two things wrong with that. The first edition of the novel was published in July 14th 2000, and was written by Lee Child. But he was fired in 1995 at the age of 40 as a result of corporate restructuring. Real, hard knowledge. LIFE IS FULL of decisions and judgments and guesses, and it gets to the point where you’re so accustomed to making them you keep right on making them even when you don’t strictly need to. I'm afraid I'm going to have give Jack reacher a rest for a while. The woman shrugged at him. All of them? Mystery He listened to the contempt in her voice and stared at her thin hair, her frown, her crooked tooth, her hard dried-up body in its ludicrous cheap businesswoman’s uniform. I grew up a fan of John Wayne’s and Clint Eastwood’s movies, and it’s great to see a man of their stature back in business.” —Nevada Barr, “Jack Reacher has presence and dimension—a man you definitely want on your side. He switched his gaze up to her face. The more knowledge, the more power. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. They backed out into the corridor and closed the door on him. “Nice and slow.”. Whatever was happening outside kept on happening for the best part of an hour. It amused him and he smiled and then people stayed even farther away. The owner was a small nervous guy and he had backed away into the point of the triangle and was standing with his backside jammed against the cash drawer.