He first joined for a six month loan spell in January 2003. Of course, one of the most memorable moments of his career is his scrap with teammate Kieron Dyer. He has appeared on 90Min's YouTube as well as Channel 4's Ultimate Football Fan Show, he is still coming to terms with Liverpool selling Xabi Alonso. And it’s very much a case of what might have been. I knew my time was coming to an end at Leeds. Born in Canning Town, London, Bowyer played for youth team Senrab before joining Charlton Athletic as a schoolboy. His comments serve to show just how massive the club is though, years later he still regrets not getting the chance to play for the Kop. "If I could turn the clock back I'd have definitely gone, but it just didn't feel right for me at the time and that was the decision I made. "It just didn't feel right for me at the time, and if I'm honest that's probably my biggest regret in football not going to Liverpool at that time. Keep up with all the Reds news with our free daily newsletter. Looking back, I made the wrong decision. Who knows? "I was halfway through a medical. Both sides were close rivals in the Premier League at the time, and Bowyer revealed, to his regret, that he pulled the plug. Going back as far as the start of the century, Lee Bowyer has admitted that not signing for Liverpool is his ‘biggest regret’. He was a key figure for the Whites during their run to the Champions League semi-final in 2001. So I knew it was my time to go. The midfielder enjoyed his best years with Leeds United, however. Lee Bowyer (Photo credit should read SHAUN CURRY/AFP via Getty Images). Current Charlton boss Lee Bowyer has revealed his “biggest regret” in football was not joining Liverpool. "But I thought I was going to do another five years up north, a long way away from my family and I'd just done six years with Leeds, so there were just a few things that didn't sit right. explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. Lee Bowyer has admitted his regret at turning down Liverpool, Houllier was impressed with Bowyer from Liverpool's encounters with Leeds, Subscribe to Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror newspapers, Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold explains why his favourite 'other' team is Barcelona, Coronavirus: Premier League players ready to revolt over behind-closed-doors plans, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sack instructions issued to Man Utd owners the Glazers, Manchester United finished third under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last campaign, qualifying for the Champions League against all the odds, but have started this season poorly, Jurgen Klopp provides Virgil van Dijk injury update after Merseyside derby horror tackle, Liverpool centre-back Virgil van Dijk was forced off with an injury in the first half of the Merseyside derby after he was clattered by Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, Arsenal star Thomas Partey names former Chelsea midfielder as best player of all time, The Gunners met Partey's release clause on Deadline Day to land him from Atletico Madrid - but the Ghanaian maintains his hero is a player who holds legendary status at rivals Cheslea, Virgil van Dijk forced off injured after Jordan Pickford horror tackle, Liverpool centre-back Virgil van Dijk was taken off for Joe Gomez just 10 minutes into the Merseyside derby after he was clattered by Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, What channel is Chelsea vs Southampton? You can unsubscribe at any time. "I was very close [to joining Liverpool]," the current Charlton boss told Sky Sports' Monday Night Football. I knew my time was coming to an end at Leeds due to a few things behind the scenes that didn’t sit well with me so I knew it was my time to go.”. If I could’ve turned the clock back I would’ve gone. (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images). There were a few things going on behind the scenes that didn't sit well with me. Bowyer was always a popular figure at Leeds, as he was at West Ham. GRV Media, 18 Mulberry Avenue, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 0WN, when speaking to Sky Sports on Monday night, David Moyes refutes Said Benrahma failed medical claims, Journalist claims West Ham have lodged £14m deadline day bid for Championship ace, 'Very good': David Moyes suggests £10m man has been behind West Ham's return to form, Stuart Pearce opens up on something David Moyes did that left him in awe, Stuart Pearce's shock take on his time at West Ham after glittering career, International boss has a word of warning for West Ham over deadline day target, Said Benrahma has failed West Ham medical claims well-connected source, Report: £8m ace West Ham allegedly wanted set for deadline day move to Crystal Palace, West Ham star shares something David Moyes told him that has changed his game, Stuart Pearce admits he’s in awe of West Ham boss David Moyes, Said Benrahma has failed West Ham medical claims well-connected journalist Darren Lewis, Stuart Pearce offers shock take on his time at West Ham after glittering career. Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier was keen on adding Bowyer to his squad, with Jamie Carragher admitting his manager "loved" the Leeds star. Lee Bowyer has revealed that turning down a move to Liverpool is his "biggest regret in football".. Liverpool have pulled out of a deal to bring Leeds midfielder Lee Bowyer to Anfield. Have something to tell us about this article? If I could’ve turned the clock back I would’ve gone. 'Het bod is acceptabel voor ons, het is nu in handen van Lee Bowyer', zei … ", When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. What of the transfers that didn’t happen? Bowyer, a boyhood Hammers fan, spent two separate spells in east London. Huge rise in UK coronavirus deaths with 150 dying - nearly double last week's figure, The UK's total coronavirus death toll has hit 43,579 after the Government introduced the three-tier lockdown system in a bid to tackle the second wave, Global coronavirus cases rise by one-day record of 400,000 with Europe the epicentre, Europe, which successfully managed the first surge of infections, has not been faring so well in recent weeks and has reported on average 140,000 cases a day over the past week, Man City 1-0 Arsenal: LIVE updates as Sterling fires Guardiola's men in front, Arsenal face Manchester City in the Premier League with Mikel Arteta taking on his former boss Pep Guardiola in a fascinating clash early in the campaign, EXCLUSIVE: Homeless people hit with £100 on-the-spot fines they have no way of paying, Britain set to be hit by 'vortex' bringing 60mph winds and torrential rain, The Met Office has warned of "yuck" weather next week with heavy rainfall expected to hit the Midlands and the South, potentially causing flooding in some areas, Crowds sing and dance in streets after leaving bars at 10pm despite restrictions, Hundreds of revellers can be seen singing and dancing in worrying footage after leaving bars, pubs and restaurants at 10pm - Dublin in Ireland is currently in Tier 3 restrictions, Banksy confirms new artwork in Nottingham is his creation after vandals try and deface it, Dozens of people have visited the street artwork since the popular artist confirmed it was his creation on Instagram.