As Sulu on “Star Trek,” George Takei could travel at the speed of light. "I'm easygoing with details, so we're a good fit," he said in the trademark baritone recognizable to all "Star Trek" and Howard Stern fans. Empty George Takei and his longtime partner, Brad Altman, have agreed to live long and prosper together. I am a 33-year-old male, and I too, have no regrets. “We wanted to reflect diversity in our wedding and that’s what I remember — the powerful diversity.”, Brad and George have been together for 35 years. A bagpiper played as the newlyweds walked out, followed by friends, family and a few members of the press. "Star Trek" star George Takei and husband Brad on why they had to hide their relationship for 20 years, coming out and their diverse wedding. } He and Altman were among the first couples to receive a marriage license in West Hollywood when the state began granting licenses to gay couples on June 17. I’m a 38 year old female and also have no regrets, The Trump campaign got caught photoshopping MAGA hats on black people.

} catch(e) {}. Takei, 71, and Altman, 54, were married Sunday in … When the California Supreme Court struck down the state’s law prohibiting same-sex marriage in 2008, the two wed that year. var _g1; _g1.classList.remove('lazyload'); “The one cause that was the most personal to me, I had to stay quiet on because I wanted my career.”. Terms of Use | _g1.setAttribute('src', _g1.getAttribute('data-src') ); The couple, both clad in white dinner jackets with black pants, made a grand entrance to the tune of "One Singular Sensation" from the Broadway musical "A Chorus Line." Disable the NSFW warnings that refer to content considered inappropriate in the workplace (Not Suitable For Work). , Switch skin. Home; Random; Nearby; Log in; Settings; About Wikipedia; Disclaimers

Privacy | And there was a touch of “Star Trek” on the guest list: Walter Koenig (who played Chekov) served as their best man and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) as their best woman. https:///3iokKh9. Read Next: Writers Guild Still Doesn’t Have a Deal With CAA and WME, Aaron Sorkin on Why It Was Crucial to Meet Tom Hayden and Shoot on Location for ‘Trial of the Chicago 7’, Filmmaker Elias Plagianos on Rewriting His ‘Superuser Do’ Script for Authenticity, ‘Pet Sematary’ Director Mary Lambert on Using Old-Fashioned Effects for Scares in Pre-CGI Stephen King Adaptation, Armie Hammer Explains His Thirsty Comment on Timothée Chalamet's Instagram, TV Ratings: Biden Wins Town Hall Duel With Trump, Rhonda Fleming, ‘Queen of Technicolor’ Who Appeared in ‘Spellbound,’ Dies at 97, Trump on Savannah Guthrie: ‘I Have Somebody Going Totally Crazy’, Disney Plus Adds Content Warning to ‘Dumbo,’ ‘Peter Pan’, One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson Takes Big Loss on Hollywood Hills Mansion, Angela Lansbury: ‘Murder, She Wrote’ Star Still Going Strong in Amazing Career, PBS Masterpiece Announces Full Lineup for 50th Anniversary (EXCLUSIVE), ‘Game of Thrones’ Showrunner David Benioff Explains Why Pedro Pascal Was the Perfect Red Viper, Tony-Nominated Actor Anthony Chisholm Dies at 77, How Savannah Guthrie Helped Salvage NBC’s Risky Bet on Town Hall, Tony Awards 2020: Full List of Nominations, 'The Masked Singer' Reveals the Identity of Baby Alien, Pedro Pascal on Fame and ‘The Mandalorian’: ‘Can We Cut the S— and Talk About the Child?’, One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson Takes Big Loss on Hollywood Hills Mansion, Shop: Billie Eilish’s Manga-Inspired Murakami Collection Marked Down to $9 at UNIQLO, From a Bugatti to a Puffer Fish: 4 Designers Share What Inspired Their Superyacht Interiors, Pandemic Shifts the Map During College Football’s Roller Coaster Season: Data Viz, This Winter, Don’t Forget To Replace Your Furnace Filter for Cleaner Air at Home. We have to participate in moving society along to be a better democracy.". Their wedding party included the late Hawaii Sen. Daniel Inouye, whom George had befriended when both were on the board of governors of the museum. Takei called his longtime partner an "organized, detail-obsessed, punctuality-driven control freak.". Keeping with the multicultural theme, guests dined on Asian/Baja Californian fusion cuisine and took home Japanese tea-ceremony treats in boxes printed with the phrase: "May sweet equality live long and prosper.". “We were married at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles at the Democracy Forum venue,” Brad says. Such activism is nothing new for Takei. | Cookie Settings. _g1.setAttribute('srcset', _g1.getAttribute('data-srcset'));

_g1 = document.getElementById('g1-logo-mobile-inverted-img'); _g1 = document.getElementById('g1-logo-mobile-inverted-source');

… Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password. Such a beautiful scene my wife and I encountered while doing a sunrise hike. In the 1980s, Takei joined a gay club called the Frontrunners, and he was struck by the fastest athlete in the group, Brad Altman, whom the actor recalls as “dashingly good-looking.” Takei made the first move, and he later asked Altman to train with him for a marathon. "I can add 'my husband' to the list of things I call you," he said. Proud Boys. Hi friend— subscribe to my mailing list to get inbox updates of news, funnies, and sweepstakes. 5:22 PM PDT 9/15/2008 Later, I learned that you had already run two marathons. “I was silent, and it was totally against my character,” says George, who notes that he was always vocal about his beliefs, including protesting the Vietnam War. The secret to that longevity, according to George, is “We truly are a team — me as the actor, writer, activist and Brad as the manager, scheduler and all-around essential guy. Proud Boys. The "Star Trek" star and his manager plan to honeymoon in Argentina and Peru. Search for: Search. Then I saw that you were the best runner in the club to boot.

"What this does is give us that dignity; (it's) being part of the American system and being whole. try { Takei said he and Altman chose to make their wedding public -- and have been outspoken gay-rights advocates for years -- for the sake of democracy. We're making the American system whole as well, as America is becoming more equal.". Despite being in a wheelchair, I voted today!!! Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time. © 2020 The Hollywood Reporter

They stepped into a circle of yellow roses and lilies, where they shared a traditional Japanese tea ceremony and were wed by a Buddhist priest.

“We also loved theater,” Brad recalls.

"I grew up determined not to be marginalized," he said. Got my US citizenship 2 years ago and was happy to finally exercise my right today. For the Power of Pride issue, Variety talked to eight LGBTQ couples in entertainment about their love stories.

The couple, who have been together for 21 years, wrote their own vows.

_g1.setAttribute('src', _g1.getAttribute('data-src') ); © Copyright 2020 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. And we love being able to share our lives and our livelihood.”. I thought you were drop-dead gorgeous! Wedding guests included "Star Trek" stars Walter Koenig and Nichelle Nichols, who served as best man and best lady, Hollywood executives, local and national government officials and the couple's relatives from around the world. All rights reserved. Altman said that he had called Takei many things during their two decades together -- "life partner, significant other" -- but that their marriage represented "a dream come true for me.". var _g1; But when it came to traversing by foot, he wasn’t so fast. } catch(e) {}, A very proud George Takei with his husband. Takei, 71, and Altman, 54, were married Sunday in a multicultural ceremony at the Japanese American National Museum that featured a Buddhist priest, Native American wedding bands, a Japanese Koto harp and a bagpipe procession. Here you'll find all collections you've created before.

George Takei's Vows Brad, I first saw you about twenty-five years ago at a Frontrunner's run around Silver Lake reservoir. FACEBOOK

Here’s a heart for ya. Disable the NSFW warnings that refer to content considered inappropriate in the workplace (Not Suitable For Work). The priest then pronounced them "spouses for life." if ( localStorage.getItem(skinItemId ) ) {

I vow to love you always as my lawfully wedded husband. TWITTER I decided you were going to train me for my …

Let’s make it a better place. Associated Press if ( localStorage.getItem(skinItemId ) ) {

Switch to the light mode that's kinder on your eyes at day time. Soon, they were doing 5K and 10K runs together. The Hollywood Reporter, LLC is a subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, LLC. "That served as an incentive for me to be proactive.". _g1.classList.remove('lazyload'); A very proud George Takei with his husband. He participated in the civil rights movement, served as a Democratic delegate in 1972 and fought for redress for those -- like his own family -- who were forced into internment camps after World War II. _g1.setAttribute('srcset', _g1.getAttribute('data-srcset'));

“I was never identified publicly as George’s boyfriend or partner,” says Brad, who has been in a committed relationship with George since 1985. "I vow to care for you as you've cared for me ... and to love you as my husband and the only man in my life," Takei said as he held Altman's hands. At the time, George was famous for “Star Trek.” But as a closeted gay man, he didn’t think he could be out and star on a hit TV series. AP

George Takei and his longtime partner, Brad Altman, have agreed to live long and prosper together.

Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time.

About Our Ads