Always looking forward, the girls have given us some of the most experimental, ambitious pop music in all of Korea. [15] During their visit to the US, the group collaborated with actress Anna Kendrick for a comedy skit for Funny Or Die. The group released their second EP Electric Shock on June 10, 2012. Each week, I’ll be taking a listen to the newest kpop releases and giving my thoughts. First reality show after Sulli's departure, This page was last edited on 12 October 2020, at 10:02. [13][14], In 2013, f(x) was awarded the Digital Bonsang award at the Golden Disk Awards and Seoul Music Awards, as well as the 'MBC Music Star Award' at the Melon Music Awards. The group was composed of Victoria, Amber, Luna, and Krystal and previously Sulli until her departure from the group in August 2015. f (x) officially debuted in September 2009 with the release of the digital single "La Cha Ta". f(x) was first introduced as a five-member dance-focused pop group in a teaser clip released on August 24, 2009. It knows just when to push the limits and when to pull back with a big pop hook. Change ). From 2016, f(x) halted group promotions and the members have embarked on individual music, acting, and modelling careers. to promote the LG Cyon cell phone, releasing a Chinese cover of "Lollipop". Not only their best title track, but their best all-around album. In November, the group won the 'Best Dance Performance - Female Group' award for "Electric Shock" at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards in Hong Kong. On May 14, 2010, the group released their first EP, NU ABO with the title track as the lead single. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. f(x) officially debuted in September 2009 with the release of the digital single "La Cha Ta". [41] In October, it was announced that Krystal had officially left SM, and had signed an exclusive contract with H& Entertainment. [27], In January 2016, the group won the Disk Bonsang award at the 2016 Golden Disk Awards and commenced their first concert tour, Dimension 4 – Docking Station, in Seoul which continued with six concerts in Japan in February. The repackaged album contained the title track "Hot Summer" (a remake of a Monrose song produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee), as well as three previously released digital singles: "LA chA TA", "Chu~♡", and "Is It Ok?". In August, the group released a song called "Garagabana" for the game Bust-a-Move and in December they released a song in English, titled "1, 2, 3", as part of the 2011 Winter SMTown – The Warmest Gift album. In an interview with Krystal on January 19, 2018, she stated that the members frequently discussed making a comeback but timing never worked out. First single for SM's EDM label ScreaM Records, This page was last edited on 13 March 2020, at 20:55. Also the reason Rum Pum Pum Pum is so good is because it uses a variation of a phrygian mode riff, has no chord changes whatsoever, and therefore relies entirely on weirdness to get by. "f(x)'s Luna Sings 'It's Okay' For 'Cheongdamdong Alice' OST", "K-pops idols come together for G20 Seoul Summit song", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_songs_recorded_by_f(x)&oldid=945417985, Lists of songs recorded by South Korean artists, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Part of SM Station and first single of the Crossing series, S.M. The beat is immense, the many melodic turns are unexpected, and the hook hits hard. Travelled in Los Angeles, Tokyo and other world-famous cities. The music video gained 2 million hits on YouTube within a day[20] and was again well-received overseas. [43] However, SM shared that her contract would expire at the end of August 2020, and they were still in discussion with her in regards to a possible renewal. A commercial single, also recorded by Girls’ Generation. On May 4, the group released their first extended play, Nu ABO. "[42][unreliable source? Pinocchio (Danger) (2011) Arguably, the first time the group’s boundary-pushing sound resulted in a … [33] On October 16, the music video for "Electric Shock" surpassed 100 million views on YouTube, making f(x) the third Korean girl group, and sixth Korean group overall to reach this milestone.[34]. The group originally had fifth member Sulli, who [32] On November 2, 2016, f(x) released their second Japanese physical single album, 4 Walls / Cowboy, including a Japanese version of "4 Walls", along with a new song titled "Cowboy", which was performed live on the same day at the group's encore concert in Yokohama.

... H. I. I Don't Wanna Love You Danson Tang rap feat. [45] In 2017, Billboard ranked f(x) at number seven on their "Top 10 K-pop Girl Groups of the Past Decade" list. In 2015, while reviewing 4 Walls, American music magazine Spin called f(x) the "world’s greatest living pop group" at the time. Learn how your comment data is processed. ( Log Out /  In August 2015, it was announced that Sulli had officially left the group to focus on acting. Super Junior's Leeteuk and f(x)'s Krystal release duet song, 'Grumbling'! In June, Amber went on hiatus due to an ankle injury, while the remaining members continued group activities without her for the remainder of the year. Best girl group ever. The album was a success both in Korea and the US, peaking at number one on Billboard's K-pop Hot 100 and World Albums Charts[16] and the Gaon Albums Chart. So happy you have “Rum Pum Pum Pum” as number one. Billboard also noted that "Ice Cream Cake" represents a baton pass from f(x) to Red Velvet as the best idol group alive, meaning that f(x) was the former holder of the title. K-Pop A-Z Review: f(x) - Beautiful Stranger, K-Pop A-Z Review: f(x) - Beautiful Goodbye, Follow The Bias List // K-Pop Reviews & Discussion on WordPress.com. [39] On September 5, SM Entertainment shared that Luna had also not renewed her contract with the company; Victoria also announced her departure from SM on her Instagram, but SM instead reported that Victoria's contract with them was still under discussion. Hot Summer has quickly become a modern classic. She subsequently appeared in a small role in Shinhwa's music video for the song "Wedding March" ("너의 곁에서 2"). I will agree though that Pink Tape is their best album. f(x) (/ˌɛf ˈɛks/; Korean: 에프엑스) is a South Korean multinational girl group formed by SM Entertainment. But make no mistake, “mainstream” doesn’t mean lazy or unoriginal.

I only wish they’d release title tracks more frequently. The group released their third full length studio album Red Light, on July 7, 2014. I Am - SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden, List of awards and nominations received by f(x), "Sulli, K-pop star and actor, found dead aged 25", "f(x)′s Album Listed as Fuse TV's 'The 41 Best Albums of 2013, "The 25 Greatest K-Pop Albums of the 2010s: Staff List", "10 Best K-Pop Girl Groups of the Past Decade: Critic's Picks", "[종합] 에프엑스(f(x)), 언론 첫 공개…끼와 재능으로 뭉친 다섯 멤버 빛났다", "Korean-Chinese girl group to debut next week", Nominees for the 10th Korean Music Awards Announced, "f(x) Talks About Performing as First K-Pop Act at SXSW", "Q&A: f(x) Reacts to Topping K-Pop Hot 100 & World Albums Chart (Exclusive)", "f(x) sweeps the music charts with Rum Pum Pum Pum", "20 Best K-Pop Songs of 2013: K-Town Picks", "f(x)'s 'Red Light' video surpasses 2m hits on first day", "f(x) are K-Pop's Top Hipster With New Single "Red Light, "Oricon's Single Chart: July 20–26, 2015", "f(x)'s web variety program, 'f(x)=1cm' becoming a hot issue", "[2015 MAMA] f(x) and EXO Win Global Fans Choice Awards", "f(x) goes all out at first exclusive concert", "Watch: f(x) Drops "All Mine" MV For SM STATION", "f(x)、初の日本単独ツアーのアンコール公演を盛況裏に終了…新曲のステージを初披露 - K-POP - 韓流・韓国芸能ニュースはKstyle", "f(x)'s 'Electric Shock' surpasses 100 million views! + 10 Corso Como Seoul Collaboration Project, Part of SM Station project. At the year-end 2015 Mnet Asian Music Awards, f(x) performed with Pet Shop Boys, and won the 'Global Fans Choice' award. The group's broadcast debut was on September 5, on MBC's Music Core. English Version of the song "Goodbye Summer", Pinocchio / Hot Summer (Repackage Edition). Global Auditions in Los Angeles, California. Where to Buy K-Pop Albums Online: The Best Stores Reviewed! Six years have passed since it was released and I still love all the noise. [40] Victoria was eventually reported to remain in SM in some capacity. Their debut studio album, Pinocchio (2011), and their two extended plays Nu Abo and Electric Shock produced three number one singles on South Korea's Gaon Digital Chart. When it comes to choruses, there’s no doubt that Hot Summer‘s is the group’s catchiest work. ... E. F. G. SHINee feat. Amber returned to the group in early 2011. f(x) released their first full-length studio album Pinocchio in April 2011, with the lead single "Pinocchio (Danger)". f(x) is a South Korean K-Pop girl group, under S.M. [3] The group's third and fourth albums, Red Light (2014) and 4 Walls (2015), were commercially successful and well-received by music critics. [citation needed]. 7. The album sold 66,000 copies upon its first week of release and was well received by critics. As it stands, there were hardly enough to fill this list! "[5], Krystal was scouted by SM Entertainment in 2000 while on a family visit to Korea, along with her sister Jessica (a former member of Girls' Generation). The lead single "Nu ABO" was a commercial success in Korea and become a number-one single on the Gaon Chart. ( Log Out /  [25] To promote the album's release, the group starred in a web reality program titled f(x)=1cm. Pingback: Song Review: Luna (f(x)) – Even So | The Bias List // K-Pop Reviews & Discussion, Pingback: Song Review: Red Velvet – Sappy | The Bias List // K-Pop Reviews & Discussion, Pingback: Song Review: Sulli – Goblin | The Bias List // K-Pop Reviews & Discussion, Pingback: Song Review: GWSN – Red Sun (021) | The Bias List // K-Pop Reviews & Discussion. The song went on to become one of the most successful singles of 2011 in South Korea, selling 2,909,384 copies by the end of the year. On July 29, 2013 the group released their second full length studio album Pink Tape with the lead single "Rum Pum Pum Pum". Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. [8] Luna was recruited by SM following her 2006 appearance on the reality television program Truth Game. Those looking for a mainstream entry point to the girls’ discography should start here. With a bass-heavy (almost tribal) syncopated beat and more interesting, off-kilter production touches that you can count, Rum Pum Pum Pum is a perfect pop song laid on top of an instrumental that keeps challenging itself to get weirder.

I knew kpop because of fire (2ne1) and ring ding dong(shinee) but the song that really made me pay attention to the genre and keep track of the releases was Nu Abo, so I think beucase of that soft spot Nu abo my favorite fx´s song ever. [9] Victoria was scouted through a Beijing dance competition in September 2007 after winning first place. Shortly after their debut, f(x) featured in promotions of the LG Chocolate cell phone alongside Girls' Generation. We have no plans, but it’s never not an option. I realize this article is two years old but I’m stopping in to tell you that I think “Chocolate Love” is the one of the best, if not THE best Girls’ Generation song, not as good when f(x) did it, and that Red Light doesn’t deserve this. [11] "Hot Summer" peaked at #2 on the Gaon digital single chart and was downloaded over 375,000 times in the week of release. On July 22, 2015, f(x) released a Japanese physical single album, Summer Special Pinocchio / Hot Summer, which debuted at #23 on Oricon's weekly chart. After releasing the SM Station single "All Mine" in 2016, the group halted group promotions and the members have embarked on individual music, acting, and modelling careers.