Quianna Lewis. What would start as a list of five books would ultimately swell to feature 70 titles. The first novel in a new fantasy series for young adults, weaves magic and west African culture together to create a world brimming magic. BARRACOON – Zora Neale Hurston What are some of your favorite books that are written by black women? Finding my way back to reading is one of the habits I decided to incorporate…, Reading has always been a big part of my self-care routine. Claim to fame: Author, lawyer, and the first Black FLOTUS of the United States Why she's extraordinary: The author of 2018's bestselling novel—her memoir Becoming—Mrs. An extraordinarily well-crafted work, this book is a work of vision. ), 22. Coming from someone who lived in fear for a whole year in a past relationship, I wish I had these signs mapped out for me to go off of when I was in it myself. Unlocking the blueprint to personal success. I couldn't figure out why he had no problem committing to his ex or why I wasn't good enough to just commit to. Dana L. Davis – Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now, 18. Weaving together her commentary on pop culture, black history, feminism, and misogyny with her own personal experiences Jenkins explores the social, cultural, and historical oppression of black women. Fans of comedians Issa Rae and Phoebe Robinson will enjoy this debut collection from MTV’s Decoded star Franchesca Ramsey on becoming an accidental activist after a viral video led to opportunities she never imagined. LiveShopper Sassie, the company behind this Coffee Project survey, received input from 1,000 coffee drinkers via their mobile app, PrestoShopper, to ask various questions about their coffee drinking habits and preferences. And Shine, 10. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University4. I love reading, although, sadly, my schedule and home life sometimes don’t allow me time to read as much as I would like. L. L. Mckinney – A Black Spade So Black. Brittany Morgan, National Writer's Society2. Keke Palmer – I Don’t Belong To You: Quiet The Noise And Find Your Voice, 43. Sherri Winston – President Of The Whole Fifth Grade (*Note: This is book one of a series. This collection of essays by Black women writers centers on the importance of recognizing Black women in literature. But beauty is horded by those with riches and power and Camellia soon finds out that being the Queen’s favorite comes at a high-risk and everything she’s known about her existence is a lie. ". " Each chapter exposes the enemy's cruel, crafty intentions in all kinds of these areas, then equips and encourages you to write out your own personalized prayer strategies on tear-out sheets you can post and pray over yourself and your loved ones on a regular basis. ", Zami: A New Spelling of My Name: A Biomythography, I Am Your Sister: Collected and Unpublished Writings of Audre Lorde. Zinzi Clemmons – What We Lose. 2. Yes, please! 25 Empowering Books For Little Black Girls www.forharriet.com From the moment they come into the world, little black girls works just a little bit harder than their peers to construct a healthy sense of self in a society that prizes values and attributes that don't mirror those they possess. Filled with empowering messages on “going out there and get what you want” Fox shares everything from daily strategies for success in business, behind the scenes advice she’s gotten from co-starts that’s changed her life, to revealing beauty secrets that’s kept her looking youthful. Fatherlessness afflicts nearly half the households in America, and it has reached epidemic proportions in the African-American community, with especially devastating consequences for black women. "This Caldecott Medal-winning African tale evokes the Cinderella story, as well as the traditional theme of good triumphing over evil. Thinking that way messed me up for a long time, and I realized there's more to life than living in fear of someone who is supposed to love you. Gabrielle Union – We’re Going To Need More Wine, 35. Set in the author's girlhood hometown of Lorain, Ohio, it tells the story of black, eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove. Mecca Woods – Astrology For Happiness And Success, 3. The following two tabs change content below. If you hope something goes wrong in the relationship so they can break up with you first, you're in danger - end of story. And Shine, Issa Rae – Misadventures Of Awkward Black Girl, Maya Angelou – I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Ijeoma Olou – So You Want To Talk About Race, Zora Neale Hurston – Their Eyes Were Watching God, Gabrielle Union – We’re Going To Need More Wine, Jennifer Lewis  – The Mother Of Black Hollywood, Janet Dewart Bell – Lighting The Fires Of Freedom, Keke Palmer – I Don’t Belong To You: Quiet The Noise And Find Your Voice, Gabourey Sidibe – This Is Just My Face: Try Not To Stare, Tamara Winfrey Harris – The Sisters Are Alright: Changing The Broken Narrative Of Black Women In America, Jamila Woods, Mahogany L. Browne, and Idrissa Simmonds (Editors) – The BreakBeat Poets Vol. 2: Black Girl Magic, 49. Fox ", "The Street tells the poignant, often heartbreaking story of Lutie Johnson, a young black woman, and her spirited struggle to raise her son amid the violence, poverty, and racial dissonance of Harlem in the late 1940s. CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE – Tomi Adeyemi by Maria Antoinette | Nov 15, 2018 | Lifestyle, Uncategorized | 13 comments. The desire to read more books about girls like herself inspired 11-year-old Marley Dias to take action. Tackling such issues as addiction, truth-telling, work, grieving, spirituality, eroticism, reconciliation and forgiveness, community and estrangement from nature, hooks shares numerous strategies for self-recovery that can heal individuals and empower effective struggle against racism, sexism, and consumer capitalism. When Alexa becomes trapped in an elevator with a stranger the last thing she thought she’d be doing is agreeing to be his pretend date for his ex’s wedding but in an uncharacteristic move she agrees and soon finds that may be there’s something real under the farce of their fake relationship. Tamara Winfrey Harris – The Sisters Are Alright: Changing The Broken Narrative Of Black Women In America, 48. Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook3. In this powerful book, accomplished journalist Jonetta Rose Barras breaks the code of silence and gives voice to the experiences of America's fatherless women–starting with herself. Some caffeine lovers, though, are extra particular when it comes to their beloved beverage. Now I have to thank him for these five things. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales. Jamila Woods, Mahogany L. Browne, and Idrissa Simmonds (Editors) – The BreakBeat Poets Vol. In this engaging and invaluable “mentor in your pocket," three dynamic and successful black female executives share their strategies to help all black women, at any level of their careers, play the power game—and win. Black excellence is putting its stamp on the publishing industry. Nnedi Okorafor – Akata Witch: Akata Witch Series, 12. Part one is Sidelined The Draft. I was sad for days over a guy who wouldn't commit to me. The general election on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, will decide not only the next president of the United States but also which political party controls the House of Representatives and the Senate. Issa Rae – Misadventures Of Awkward Black Girl, 17. Editor in Chief, Since this is the year of the slay I've compiled a list of books that every Black girl / woman should read in order to uplift, elevate, empower, and slay her life. Nineteen-year-old Aya has been getting her life together after a brush with the law and is working hard to earn a college degree. ET, Sept. 6, 2020 — A t NewsOne, we believe that the child who reads is the child who leads. Idaho has been represented by a fully Republican delegation to Congress since 2011, so it didn't come as a surprise when I received emails from my senators informing me of their intent to confirm President Trump's Supreme Court nomination. When it comes to coffee, everyone has different criteria for what goes into their "perfect cup." For even more books written by black women check out our list of inspiring books by black women and books that were on our list to read for 2018. THE WEDDING DATE – Jasmine Guillory ", "Their Eyes Were Watching God " tells the story of Janie Crawford—fair-skinned, long-haired, dreamy woman—who comes of age expecting better treatment than what she gets from her three husbands and community. ", "Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is taken abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Franchesca Ramsey – Well, That Escalated Quickly, 8. Definitely a must-watch for your Netflix queue this month! ", "A modern classic in the African literary canon and voted in the Top Ten Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century, this novel brings to the politics of decolonization theory the energy of women's rights. Get your day started right — and keep that budget tight. ", "The Women of Brewster Place explores the lives of both men and women in an urban setting and examines relationships, both in terms of friendship and romantic love, including homosexual relationships.In each of the "Seven Stories" of its subtitle, one or more of the seven women are involved with the main character of that particular story, such as Mattie appearing in Etta Mae's story or Kiswana showing up in Cora Lee's. Phoebe Robinson – You Can’t Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have To Explain, 7. Find out more here. Magic has disappeared from Orisha after a ruthless king murdered all the maji leaving Zelie and her brother without a mother and imprisoning its people under heavy fines they can’t ever pay. Obama captivated many with her show of warmth, strength, and positivity as the country's First Lady from 2009 to 2017. Tomi Adeyemi’s debut novel is one of those books you take your time reading out of fear of reaching its end. Many of the books feature stories about sexuality, relationships, and sexual violence. With more attention given to the lack of diversity within the publishing industry, it seems more publishers are taking steps toward improving the statistics and bringing balance to an industry that has long ignored works by women of color. From the author of “Their Eyes Were Watching God” comes the true story of the last known survivor of the Atlantic Slave Trade. Keep the list going in the comments below. ", "What happens to a little girl who grows up without a father? ", "This groundbreaking "choreopoem" is a spellbinding collection of vivid prose and free verse narratives about and performed by Black women. Readers will identify with the kind, patient Nyasha, while delighting in the fate met by the evil sister, Manyara. THIS WILL BE MY UNDOING – Morgan Jenkins ", "The Bluest Eye is Toni Morrison's first novel, a book heralded for its richness of language and boldness of vision. Tiffany D Jackson – Monday’s Not Coming, 19. Step Out. ), 10. From two mothers exchanging snarky quips through notes left in their kid’s backpacks to a young girl’s pondering on the best way to notify her Facebook friends of her upcoming suicide. For the first time in the state's history, Arizona will elect a woman as the Maricopa County Attorney. You'll find a few new stories and learn what has happened to some of these Souls Sisters in this revised edition. Tomi Adeyeni – Children Of Blood And Bone, 14. We feel such powerful emotions for these people, yet we've most likely never even spoken to them before. Camilla is a Belle, a decedent of the Goddess of Beauty, whose job it is to control beauty in a world where everyone is born gray and damned. Cora Harrington – In Intimate Detail (*Note: This book is appropriate for young adults. This list contains a mixture of iconic authors and titles, as well as new writers who are carving out a promising path for themselves in the literary world.