And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer. Bob Gibson Quotes When I was playing I never wished I was doing anything else. “The basis of intimidation as I practiced it was mystery. Do not let your mind wander to other things. Robert ‘’Bob’’ Gibson was an American professional baseball player who played 17 seasons in Major League Basketball for the St. Louis Cardinal from 1959 to 1975. Bob Gibson was diagnosed with a heart murmur as a child, fractured his leg in 1962, severely damaged his elbow in 1966, broke his other leg in 1967, had knee surgery in 1977, and was still respected / feared / admired as one of the most dominating pitchers in Major League history. I wanted the hitter to know nothing about me.” ― Bob Gibson tags: charisma, intimidation, leadership. -Bob Gibson, My pitching philosophy is simple, I believe in getting the ball over the plate and not walking a lot of men. - Red Schoendienst, "He (Bob Gibson) pitched the last three innings (of the 1964 World Series) on guts." That was the night it ended." Even your ass hurts. I remember all those batters you hit. ", "When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story. When you’re doing something, let your focus be solely on it. -Bob Gibson, 5. "Distance" by Roger Angell, www.newyorker.com. Read 61 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. 13 Wallpapers With Bob Gibson Quotes. Change is inevitable. Source: From Ghetto to Glory (Bob Gibson), "Rules or no rules, pitchers are going to throw spitters. It is a gift. After playing professional basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters for one season, Gibson signed with baseball’s St. Louis Cardinals in 1957 and played with their minor league teams until 1959. Baseball Almanac is pleased to present an unprecedented collection of baseball related quotations spoken by Bob Gibson and about Bob Gibson. My pitching philosophy is simpe. It is something that was given to me - just like the color of my skin." Rules or no rules, pitchers are going to throw spitters. Believe me, I would much rather get three outs on three pitches than three outs on nine pitches, because that’s going to make me that much stronger at the end of the game. I believe in getting the ball over the plate and not walking a lot of men. It took me years to perfect mine." -Bob Gibson During that time he was a two-time Cy Young Award and World Series winner. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. it is a gift. I'll tell you what, if he hit a home run off (Bob) Gibson or (Don) Drysdale and stood and admired it, they'd knock that earring out of his ear the next time up." The last one you see is always the prettiest. He always pitches when the other team doesn't score any runs." Embrace change because without change there is no progress. Why do I have to be an example for your kid? You could tell he was gonna be big. The answer — of course — is Bob Gibson who played for them from 1957 through 1958 and was a former Creighton University basketball all-star. The last one you see is always the prettiest. -Bob Gibson, In a world filled with hate, prejudice, and protest, I find that I too am filled with hate, prejudice, and protest. - National League Umpire Doug Harvey, "Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher in baseball. Fishing is one of the greatest things that you can do, it has the power to relax you like nothing else and there's nothing quite like the thrill of the catch. Athlete I believe in getting the ball over the plate and not walking a lot of men.”. People are prejudiced against each other for no particular reason. . Quotes & Sayings; Quotes by Topics; People Quotes; Time Quotes; No Result When I gave up a grand slam to Pete LaCock, I knew it was time to quit. Source: From Ghetto to Glory (Bob Gibson), "A great catch (this one was by Curt Flood) is like watching girls go by; the last one you see is always the prettiest." I think you have to have that attitude if you're going to go far in this game." You be an example for your own kid. Rules or no rules, pitchers are going to throw spitters, it’s a matter of survival. I believe in getting the ball over the plate and not walking a lot of men. It’s a matter of survival.”, “In a world filled with hate, prejudice, and protest, I find that I too am filled with hate, prejudice, and protest.”, “I owe the public just one thing – a good performance.”, “When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story.”, “A curve ball is not something you can pick up overnight. Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Do not let unnecessary things or people distract you. born on November 09, 1935, Robert "Bob" Gibson is a retired American baseball pitcher who played 17 seasons in Major League Baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals. After his retirement, he served as a pitching coach for his former teammate, Joe Torre. Quotes by Bob Gibson "I guess I was never much in awe of anybody. For the first six innings of the game, he went out there and dinked around with slow junk, and I'll be a son-of-a-gun if he doesn't end up the last three innings getting loose, and ends up beating us! Could be, depends on if you pissed me off or not. Our content pushes the boundaries of storytelling. It took me years to perfect mine. "One of the best athletes to ever play the game, the ex-Harlem Globetrotter posted a 1.12 ERA in 1968, the lowest figure since 1914, and a factor in convincing baseball officials to lower the pitching mound the next year." He was great. Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. it is a gift. Did you know that Bob Gibson has a star located in the St. Louis Walk of Fame and that it can be specifically seen / found at 6352 Delmar Street, St. Louis, Missouri? If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. I see pictures of my face and say, 'Holy shit', but that's the strain you feel when you throw. -Bob Gibson, Rules or no rules, pitchers are going to throw spitters, it’s a matter of survival. You need to constantly practice it if you wish to perfect it. A curve ball is not something you can pick up overnight, it took me years to perfect mine. The last one you see is always the prettiest.”, “Fishing is one of the greatest things that you can do, it has the power to relax you like nothing else and there’s nothing quite like the thrill of the catch.”, “Nobody has won thirty games in a season since Denny McLain did it in 1968. You be an example for your own kid. A great catch is like watching girls go by. I've always had to win. In 1981, he was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. He retired in 1975 and was inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989. My pitching philosophy is simple. Refresh and try again. Bob Gibson Quotes. - Hank Aaron, ”He (Bob Gibson) couldn't pitch today because they wouldn't let him. --Quoted in "Late Innings" by Roger Angell ", "It is not something I earned or acquired or bought (the ability to pitch). ", "Barry Bonds? Join 48,000+ other people and subscribe to Quotefancy Weekly Digest. Source: Sports Illustrated (June 1, 1964), "Have you ever thrown a ball 100 miles an hour? I could be a real jerk on the days I was pitching. Welcome back. -Bob Gibson, I owe the public just one thing: a good performance. In a world filled with hate, prejudice, and protest, I find that I too am filled with hate, prejudice, and protest. Some years ago, I saw a baseball fan approach Bob Gibson at a gathering. I think being a professional athlete is the finest thing a man can do. In the long run, you’ve got to do the things that are necessary. A curve ball is not something you can pick up overnight.