By subscribing, you agree to the terms of our Privacy Statement. It may be possible to say something such as, “I love myself because God created me, and he loves me.” Or, you might say, “God loves me, so I am lovable.” However, this can be a dangerous road to travel since it’s easy to focus more and more on ourselves — our accomplishments, our popularity, our power, our wealth. They’re not to be counted on for something as crucial as personal happiness. Think of the people in your life that you love and respect. You simply can’t live a positive life with a negative mind. Is it absolutely wrong to feel self-love (or to love yourself)? Throughout the Bible, we are commanded to love others—without being told to “love ourselves first.” For example: A new command I give you: Love one another. The hard thing is that this may happen subconsciously, without you being aware of it.

Blaz Kos helps people shape superior life strategies by: (1) employing the best business practices in personal life management, (2) teaching established psychological techniques to better manage mind and emotions, and (3) setting goals based on understanding market paradigms, the quantified self, and following cold hardcore metrics that prevent any fake feeling of progress. Turn your phone off. Then write an acoustic song in French, and sing it to yourself in the downward dog. Jesus simply said to love others “as yourself.” He didn’t say to love others after you love yourself. So do whatever makes you feel good, even — and especially — when you don’t. Copyright © 2020 Doug Britton Books  |  Reprint Policy  |  Privacy Policy  |  To accept the use of cookies, simply continue using this website.

Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. You can’t rely on future lovers treating you to the specialties of life. For example, if someone you love inherited money, they’re potential investors for your. Learning to love yourself warts and all is hard but an important step for a better life in future. Here are some tips on loving yourself first before searching for love in your life. It won’t be the dress or the shoes or the shade of your lipstick. I learned to be more compassionate towards myself and realised this was what made my compassion towards others so much more powerful. Summary: Self-love, or loving yourself — Did Jesus say you must love yourself first?

It takes away your power of rational choice, the power to act and fight in a constructive way while keeping positive relationships with the people you love. The more issues you have with yourself, the weaker your capacity for love is and the more issues you have with other people, even the closest ones. I've been there a few times and trust me, it's not fun! (1 John 3:18). Permission granted to print for personal use. Right now it is an innocuous game but is becoming a serious clinical tool for patients that have difficulty expressing themselves. The easiest first step we can take is with the starting-point that there’s something about you that you don’t love – it can be a part of your body, a part of your character, the situation you’re in or anything else.

You try to stop them, hinder them with guilt and negative talk, and try to enforce old habits and behavioral patterns on them. We let them weigh us down; allow their judgement to dictate our confidence, their disappointment to taint our optimism. The biggest problem on top of that is that two or more people getting together with the same shortcoming usually don’t fight together to overcome it, but instead bitch, whine and complain about life being unfair. Find out how to fall in love with yourself with CheeringupInfo. They may not like the new real you. If they don’t hate the same thing about themselves as you do, there is usually a friction of values, and your capacity to love that person decreases. Here’s the deal: we’ve all been hurt. We are saying that loving ourselves is a precondition to loving other people. What we're doing seems to be encouraging self-compassion in people that are often caught in cycles of self-doubt. They support this idea by pointing to Jesus’ command to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:39). Summary: Self-love, or loving yourself. We must hold it in our ability to write beautiful words, or paint striking paintings, or explore creatively that for which we’re passionate. See the local attractions. It’s a negative spiral. Respect your right to live a happy life.