Chinese names, like Korean, Vietnamese and Hungarian names, appear family-name first in the original language. I’ve already heard BBC newsreaders pronouncing this as j, z, sh, and a voiced sh sound. The third character of Xi’s name, ping (平), is straightforward enough, much like the English word ping as in the ping of another email reaching your inbox. ... was led to the stage by newly appointed CPC General Secretary Xi Jinping … The 18th Party Congress of the Communist Party of China has drawn to a close and China has appointed a new generation of leaders. Unfortunately, this device does not support voice recording, Click the record button again to finish recording.

But that’s perhaps not a good enough excuse to mess up the name of one of the most powerful people in the world, especially if you’re a prominent politician in contention for nearly the highest office in the US. How to say Xi Jinping in English? Can you pronounce it better? Wang Qishan: WAANG chee SHAN (-aa as in father, -ng as in sing -ch as in church) Harris would understand the importance of getting name pronunciations right, though. Log in or (Terms & Conditions). I actually think we can ignore them, though; it’s fine to convert foreign names into English phonology when using them in English. The Pronunciation Unit's advice is anglicised so that any word, name or phrase, in any language, is pronounceable by broadcasters and intelligible to audiences. Unfortunately, this browser does not support voice recording. Yu Zhengsheng: YUE jung SHUNG (-ue as in French vu, -j as in Jack, -u as in bun, -ng as in sing). Oops! Or with a different accent? But that’s only one half of this. "Sorry!" Thank you for helping build the largest language community on the internet. Let us imagine two British people trying to walk through a narrow doorway from either side. "Sorry?" After that, the given name Jinping probably isn’t too hard to have a guess at, and most English speakers should be able to produce a pretty good approximation of it. The x is probably the biggest stumbling block, then. You have reached the maximum limit. You must accept before continuing to use the site. It’s not only Harris who has a hard time pronouncing Xi’s name, however. Mandarin How will the media handle Xi Jinping's name? http://www.imdb.com/search/title?title=she&title_type=feature,tv_movie,tv_series,documentary,game,short, 三國演義 董賊潛懷廢立圖 translation: "The Traitor Dong Zhuo Secretly Harbours a Deposition Plan", from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, 山川异域 风月同天: Japan sends aid packages to China with a Classical Chinese poem, 023 綦毋潛 春泛若耶溪 translation: Spring Drifting on Ruoye Creek, by Qiwu Qian, 163 李白 司馬將軍歌 translation: Sima General Song, by Li Bai, 196 劉長卿 長沙過賈誼宅 translation: In Changsha, Passing by Jia Yi's Residence, 068 韓愈 謁衡嶽廟遂宿嶽寺題門樓 translation: An Inscription on the Gatehouse after Paying Respects at the Mt Heng Shrine and Lodging at the Mountain Temple, by Hán Yù, 李白 早發白帝城 translation: Setting Off Early from Baidi City, by Li Bai (下江陵), 李白 勞勞亭 translation: Pavilion of Misery, by Li Bai. You've got the pronunciation of Xi Jinping right. My guess is that the media will always use Xi’s full name Xi Jinping, except when it makes for a good pun. Pronounce Xi Jinping in German, Can you pronounce it better? Read more.   Hanyu Pinyin, the official transliteration system of Mandarin Chinese in the People's Republic of China, may also present confusion (and, in my particular case, a certain amount of despair in the first week of learning Pinyin) for people unfamiliar with the system because of the seeming discrepancy between spelling and pronunciation: the grapheme 'i' represents the sounds -ee (as in street), as in Pinyin 'xi', -uh (as 'a' in ago), as in Pinyin 'shi' and -i (as in pin), as in Pinyin 'jin'. Pronounce Xi Jinping in Italian, Random words: Try choosing a different name, Sorry! how to say XI Jinping , how to pronounce XI Jinping , pronounce XI Jinping correctly , pronunciation of XI Jinping

Currently popular pronunciations. Sign in to disable ALL ads. Xi Jinping translation and audio pronunciation If you’re familiar with IPA, you’ve got an easy route into this: That’s less useful for the rest of us, though. You’ve mastered the ‘j’ and ‘zh,’ now let’s tackle the ‘x.’ It’s easiest to just pronounce it like it’s an English ‘sh’ and the ‘i’ like ‘ee,’ so xi is she. Xi’ll just have to put up with it. One person says a perfunctory "sorry!" Sign in to disable ALL ads. Chinese politician who became general secretary of the Communist Party in 2012 and took office as president in 2013. Anyone who insists on doing otherwise is like that pretentious guy in a restaurant ordering wine in a perfect French accent (or so he thinks). Pronounce Xi Jinping in Changzhou, Can you pronounce it better?

English is not a tone language and English broadcasters are not expected to recognise, much less reproduce, this level of phonetic detail in Chinese, or indeed, in all the world's languages, which is why in the Pronunciation Unit's systematic way of anglicising Chinese syllables, we do not reflect tones. Write it here to share it with the entire community