She noted that "loneliness and longing" are highlighted on the song, adding that O'Connor's voice "fits the song perfectly. Directed by John Maybury, the video consists mostly of a closeup on Sinéad O'Connor's face as she goes through stages of sadness and anger while singing the lyrics; the rest consists of her walking through the Parc de Saint-Cloud in Paris. Receive news and offers from our other brands? Since you’ve been gone I can do whatever I wantI can see whomever I chooseI can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurantBut nothing, I said nothing can take away these blues’Cause nothing comparesNothing compares to you, Prince’s original studio demo of “Nothing Compares To You” is a perfectly decent version of a great song. The song was simulcast on radio stations throughout the United States to commemorate Prince 15 days after his death. The song received favorable reviews from most music critics. It lies heaviest of all when it’s someone you’d given everything to. When you realise you’ve given everything you possibly could, and the object of your affection just feels “meh” and walks out to find someone else…that’s a special kind of hurt. Since I've been shouting the praises of Sinéad's remarkable interpretation of this Prince-penned tune to many of you for over a month, it was safe to assume it would eventually end up on this page. "[14] Pop Rescue wrote that O'Connor "makes light work" of the track, adding that she's "having plenty of power to belt out the lyrics at the right points." Even Prince wasn’t aware this was going on, and didn’t contribute to the project in any way beyond writing a fantastic song in the first place. This version, which O'Connor co-produced with Nellee Hooper, became a worldwide hit in 1990 and its music video received heavy rotation on MTV. Of all the songs Prince wrote, “Nothing Compares To You” is probably his biggest hit as a songwriter and the most iconic song of his to be made famous by another artist…but he never had a hit with it himself. We’d love to stay in touch, sign up for the Guitar World team to contact you with great news, content and offers. Perhaps even a great break-up song. Bath © One of Rolling Stone Magazine’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, a platinum-selling record, a Number One around the world in just about any country you can think of, including the US where it spent four weeks at the top of the Billboard Chart…it might only be fair to say that nothing compares to Sinead O’Connor’s version of this amazing Prince song…. CD Review: Stand Atlantic - Pink Elephant, Add Jaco-like tones and colors to your playing with Isobella Burnham’s harmonics masterclass, From comedic political shred to funky Hendrixian jams: here are this week's essential guitar tracks, Eddie Van Halen honored at the Billboard Music Awards. "Nothing Compares 2 U" is a song written and composed by Prince for his side project, The Family; the song was featured on their eponymous album. It was nominated for Breakthrough Video, Viewer's Choice and International Viewer's Choice during the ceremony. If you’ve got this far, thank you for spending a few moments in the company of one of my favourite songs. [19] She said she learned to channel her emotions with the "bel canto" singing style, which she compared to extreme acting methods. It has a timeless relevance for me and practically everyone I know. [15] Sal Cinquemani from Slant Magazine noted that it perhaps is O'Connor's "greatest vocal achievement" and described it as a "classic torch song she quite simply owns. They vow never to go through those feelings again for anyone. Sinead O’Connor does. We all felt it as she told us about how she’d been left, abandoned, stranded…, It’s been seven hours and fifteen daysSince you took your love away. After a while friends, family and potential suitors get the message…there might be a heart in there somewhere pumping the blood around, but the only purpose it serves now is a mechanical one. Prince had never recorded the song for himself and took no interest in performing it in concerts, however, in the years after O'Connor turned it into a hit in 1990, he began performing the song live. “Daddy, I love you and miss you so much. Please deactivate your ad blocker in order to see our subscription offer, The rise, fall and rediscovery of the Fender Jaguar, How to set up a Les Paul: 7 essential tips.