Record: 10-6-0, 1st in Geelong blew a 50-point lead, losing the un-losable. ... St Kilda Fantasy Leagues Players Board Women's Football. They had one of the most successful sides in history that year, and finished on top of the AFL ladder. I hope Ben Cousins’ off-field controversies don’t detract from his incredible football legacy. The great West Coast side of 2005-2006 was known for its midfield. Lehigh University (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania). JORDAN McARDLE PerthNow. I think Darren Glass was also Barry Hall’s best foil. Few recall how dominant the Eagles of 1991 were. a For various reasons, a number of players drafted in the late 1980s and early 1990s refused to live in Western Australia, instead choosing to remain and play football in their home states. k Oakley-Nicholls had previously played 13 games with Richmond. There is an almighty asterisk next to every part of that era at West Coast, and ten years on the public bitterness and scepticism is as strong as ever. Xavier Ellis The West Australian. Chris Mainwaring It was an incredible turnaround – one of the best in AFL history, and Glass’ captaincy was no small factor in that success. All rights reserved. I’m glad he won the Brownlow eventually – he could have won one or two more, if you ask me. Are you a Stathead, too? “It was such a nail-biting game and I think every contest right up until the last minute we were riding and you just didn’t want Collingwood to get on another run again because they could have put us to sword.”. McGowan and Morrison governments in virus ship face-off, Fagan: We’re sad, but we’ve made progress, Scott praises evergreen Ablett for starring role, Gaz lives on!! Pro-Football-Reference utilizes Official NFL data for current NFL seasons. At 34, Selwood is now focused on fostering enjoyment and success in the club’s female ranks. The first was Gary Ablett Sr’s nine-goal haul in 1989. It was a team-lifting moment from the West Coast live-wire in the second term. Jason Akermanis remains the best I’ve ever seen for such delivery, but Kemp wasn’t far behind. The team compiled a postseason mark of 3-1. Kerr, knowing how the wind blew in Geelong, found a way to nurse the ball, cushioning it in the wind through the sticks. So will Waters and Darren Glass, two men of impeccable character and incredible bravery on the field. In 1992-1994 it was Peter Matera, Dean Kemp and Mainwaring. News. He won the Rising Star Award in 1996. After more than a decade of pleasure and pain in the AFL, their grand final triumph must have tasted so sweet. That speaks to his longevity. Mark Seaby and Ashley Hansen were in that team, two humble and understated players without whom the Eagles would only have two premierships in their case. q Walker later played 16 games with Collingwood. But that should not take away from the achievements of the 2006 Eagles. “Each team has strengths. Matera was not far behind, but enjoyed a longer career. “I just thought they’d keep rolling,” he said. Gold Coast are now benefiting from him. The best I ever saw Judd play was in 2007. 8. Bringing you a new episode every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. So different then to how it is now. Where are the West Coast Eagles 2006 AFL premiership side, 10 years on? 2006 Philadelphia Eagles Statistics & Players: 10-6 (po:1-1) (1st in NFC East), Coach: Andy Reid, ProBowl: Andrews, Dawkins, Sheppard Great Eagles sides come with a pair of three great midfielders. l Ogg had previously played nine games with the Brisbane Bears. New posts Search forums. Australian Football Stats - Australian Football Search “Each team has strengths. “We’ll bring this online in 12 months’ time and hopefully we’ll be successful pretty shortly,” he said. Clubs. Here's what effect it could have, Why the 'poor Gladys, blinded by love' defence doesn't stack up, Trump tried to turn the election into a TV ratings battle. There were so many interesting match-ups in that West Coast-Sydney rivalry, and that was one of them. By the way, the Eagles 2006 season made no sense. Western Australia won the State of Origin that year, easily, and half the Western Australian side were currently playing for the Eagles. As of the end of the 2015 season, a total of 224 players have played at least one senior … After Andrew Embly, who deserved his Norm Smith Medal, I thought Cox was the Eagles best player in the 2006 grand final. Similarly, Daniel Chick and Daniel Kerr have struggled too much after footy to be seen as the champions they once were. Chris Mainwaring. I thought he was very gutsy. Dean Kemp Adam Selwood knows what it's like to win a grand final with the West Coast Eagles by less than a kick — overwhelming, exhausting and profoundly fulfilling. Due to the horrendous failings of a few key figures, the Eagles would implode and, 10 years later, still be without another premiership. Two moments in his career stand out to me. (Getty Images: Mark Dadswell) Become a member to join in Australia's biggest sporting debate, submit articles, receive updates straight to your inbox and keep up with your favourite teams and authors. Logic dictates that no matter which way Hall would take him on, with his massive size, he could just shake Kerr off. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. However, he does have one unique distinction. The 2006 grand final, as a standalone football match, was a much better spectacle than the 2005 decider. I recall West Coast taking the lead in the 2005 grand final in the final quarter, and John Worsfold taking Cox off so he would be rested for the last 10 minutes. I’d never seen that before, and dare I say it, I’ve seldom seen him like that at Carlton. He was so precise in his delivery to the Eagles forwards. Look at his cluster of Best and Fairest’s from 2001-2005 (only one year was interrupted by Judd). The mere fact the question exists is proof enough. Often when Carey tried outrunning Jakovich, he got the better of him. A fifth goal was scored from 40 metres out on his non-preferred left boot. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? m Robbins later played five games with the Brisbane Bears, 47 games with the Brisbane Lions, and 40 games with the Kangaroos. It’s wonderful that the six-time All-Australian became the Eagles’ most capped player ever before he retired. Chris Judd The Eagles were quick out of the blocks, fast and ferocious with their dominant midfield, only for Adam Goodes and Brett Kirk to put the Swans on their back for an unlikely comeback. Nothing from that match will likely ever be used in an AFL promotional ad again. In 2005-2007 you’d have no arguments from me that he was one of the AFL’s best players, and really he was unlucky not to be awarded All-Australian selection more often. Yet Jakovich not only often achieved parity with Carey – he sometimes dominated him. He may have the greatest legacy of any West Coast Eagles player. © West Australian Newspapers Limited 2020. What the topic of conversation will be for the gawking footy world is much easier to predict. In fact, I have no reservations saying that Chris Judd, in his peak, was the greatest AFL player I have ever seen. But the prevailing argument - that the off-field actions of a group of players within that squad cast a large enough shadow over the entire organisation to disregard the achievements - is a poor one. There was a period in the early 2000s when Cousins was the Eagles’ only shining light. Xavier Ellis: The West Coast Eagles players who need to lift, and why Collingwood is my flag pick. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. In so many ways, of course that premiership is tainted. West Coast prevailed by five points over Collingwood thanks to a late Dom Sheed goal. The 2006 West Coast Eagles won the Grand Finals. : Juan Castillo (Offensive Line), John Harbaugh (Special Teams Coordinator), Sean McDermott (Asst.