Adjusted Contact Score, on a scale where 100 equals league average and the lower the number the better, measures the level of production they should have allowed on balls in play. But he made September enjoyable and we’ll always have that. Bauer has vast postseason experience making seven career starts in October and pitching in the World Series for the Cleveland Indians in 2016. From chirping his opponents, to constantly criticizing Major League Baseball’s approach to growing the game (which is justifiable), Bauer is often making headlines. Bauer gives them their best chance, emerging as the favorite in the National League with three days left in the regular season. He should be the favorite to win the Cy Young Award this year, which would make him the first Cincinnati Reds pitcher to ever win the award. I combine traditional scouting with cutting-edge analytics to offer a unique perspective on major/minor league and amateur baseball talent evaluation. Lamet’s overall Adjusted Contact Score was a shade below league average at 101. https://t.co/2g1Pkyr4WI. Right now, Bauer’s future deal is projected to hover around the $25 million range annually. Yu Darvish, Chicago Cubs – 7-3, 2.22 ERA, 69 IP, 88 SO, 1.00 WHIP, 2.23 FIP, 2.2 WAR. Position: Pitcher  “I took a lot of arrows in the back being the first one through the door on a lot of this different stuff. Meanwhile, Boston needs to add to its starting rotation after finishing 25th in starter ERA (5.34) and last in starter WHIP (1.56) during 2020. Next week, we’ll drill down on the 2020 Contact Manager of the Year races in both leagues, and see how those pitchers got it done. There is plenty to like about Bauer outside of his impressive 2020 season. Trevor Bauer is the top pitcher available on this year's free-agent market – and possibly the No. It went to a decimal place, with Woodruff’s 73.4 finishing just behind Zack Wheeler’s 73.2 Adjusted Contact Score. W-L. 5-4. Jacob DeGrom, New York Mets – 4-2, 2.14 ERA, 63 IP, 94 SO, 0.921 WHIP, 1.99 FIP, 2.4 WAR. Bauer made $17.5 million in the final year of his deal with the Reds in 2020. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images). That’s one thing I’m really passionate about is leaving a better landscape in baseball for the kids that come after me. Other than that, if these two were speed dating, they’d both probably tear up each other’s phone numbers the moment the buzzer sounded to move on to the next potential partner. to the Boston Red Sox. Trevor Bauer Stats, Fantasy & News ... 36E R, 87K ) and was 1-5 w/a 4.87 ERA in 12 road starts (64.2IP , 68H, 35E R, 56K )... Career in Cleveland, Trevor is 5-4 w/a 3.43 ERA in 16 starts (38 E R/99.2 IP ). On the other hand, you would probably expect writers to put in more effort into the research behind the voting than the players do because the players have far more important things going on with their jobs. Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer is an Outstanding Pitching Award finalist. Your privacy is safe with us. [ SPORTS FAN? For individual pitchers, “Tru” ERA- is much more stable from season to season than its counterparts. Darvish was probably the leader at the beginning of the month, but he’s posted a 3.46 ERA in his four September starts. Trevor Bauer, to the surprise of no one, as named one of the finalists for outstanding pitcher in the National League. Where do arbitration estimates set the 2021 Reds payroll? RNR #348: The Joe Morgan Appreciation Show. In case you’re new here, I used my batted ball-based metrics, like Adjusted Contact Score, “Tru” ERA- and “Tru” Pitching Runs Above Average to rank the NL hurlers. It’s no secret that free agent pitcher Trevor Bauer likes to talk the talk. TAKE THE GAMES WITH YOU: Download the Cincinnati.com Sports app. Advanced Stats: 0.3 fWAR, 2.7 bWAR, 2.88 FIP, 276 ERA+. Could Marcus Stroman Return To The Mets In 2021? Bats/Throws: R/R Tons of innings, an exceptional K/BB profile, and a narrow 2nd place finish in the NL Contact Manager of the Year race. His 59 Adjusted Fly Ball Contact Score was 2nd best among NL qualifiers, keying an overall 86 Adjusted Contact Score that was the best of his career. The players voting was done in mid-September, while games were still being played. Conventional wisdom states that Shane Bieber is a shoo-in for the AL Cy Young Award (we looked at his case yesterday), and Trevor Bauer and Yu Darvish are in a dead-heat for the NL hardware. If he does become the first pitcher in Reds’ history to win the Cy Young, it would behoove the Reds’ organization to bring him to Great American Ballpark for one day (post pandemic) to allow for fans to gather and give Trevor the standing ovation he deserves. You may opt-out by. I then add back the Ks and BBs into the mix, resulting in a pitcher’s “Tru” ERA-, where again 100 equals league average, and the lower the number the better. to the GM for the Milwaukee Brewers and Seattle Mariners. The defining image in Trevor Bauer’s excellent season was in the sixth inning on Wednesday, pitching out of a jam with runners on the corners and no outs by striking out the next three hitters. CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - SEPTEMBER 09: Starting pitcher Trevor Bauer #27 of the Cincinnati Reds delivers the ball against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field on September 09, 2020 in Chicago, … All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. Boston could use just that after finishing in last place in the American League East at 24-36. Bauer could make one more start this season. Trevor Bauer has been a pretty outspoken player throughout his career, which has also led to some incredible insight. Here’s a brief synopsis of their 2020 performances: #6 - RHP Dinelson Lamet (Padres) - Lamet is living proof of the value of using batted ball-based metrics to evaluate pitching performance. He finished sixth. Name: Trevor BauerPosition: RHP2020 Team: RedsAge (as of Opening Day 2021): 302020 stats: 5-4, 1.73 ERA, 73 IP, 100 K, 0.795 WHIP Bauer is one of the most polarizing figures in baseball, so naturally his … The right-hander had just one season on his resume with an ERA below 4.00 coming into the 2020 campaign, but he spun a head-turning individual effort for Cincinnati. Entering Friday, Trevor Bauer led the National League in ERA (1.73), strikeouts (100), WHIP (0.795) and fewest hits per nine innings (5.06). Trevor Bauer led the National League in ERA, complete games, ERA+, WHIP, hits allowed per 9-innings pitched, and batting average against. Want to talk about a pop up tendency? Bauer could take over the ace role as the Red Sox look to bounce back from a season they would surely like to forget. Despite his club’s first round exit this year, Bauer took the mound for the Cincinnati Reds and shut down the high powered Atlanta Braves offense across seven and two-thirds innings while striking out 12 batters in his lone start. At the end of each season, I crown a Contact Manager of the Year (lowest Adjusted Contact Score), “Tru” ERA- Leader, and Cy Young Award winner (highest PRAA) in both leagues. ERA. He’s joined by Chicago Cubs starter Yu Darvish and New York Mets starter Jacob deGrom. DeGrom is attempting to win his third Cy Young. He figures to be just hitting his prime and, if this past season was any indication, can anchor a staff. “It’s nice to see, just speaking personally, all the work I’ve done up until this point pay off in a big way from all the pitch design stuff that I started on in 2010, maybe, 2009 or 2010, to the strength training to studying on hitters and reading body language and stuff like that,” Bauer said. He finished 2nd in the NL in PRAA with 16.0 - a higher mark than Shane Bieber’s. ], [ TAKE THE GAMES WITH YOU: Download the Cincinnati.com Sports app. I beg to differ. #1 - RHP Trevor Bauer (Reds) - The best pitcher in baseball, quite easily, with 17.6 PRAA. His bio hacking and engineering approach seems to yield strong results, while he unabashedly attempts to create a brand for himself. As long as he can continue to back it up every five days, Bauer would seemingly make an ideal co-ace to back-to-back Cy Young award winner Jacob deGrom. He was a major factor in getting us “in”. (FYI, I limited my consideration to the 20 pitchers who logged enough innings to qualify for the ERA title - sorry Corbin Burnes, who missed by 1/3 inning). Please check out my sports Twitter page @ragazzoreport for advanced and unique insight around the NFL & MLB. He did it all. Want to talk about a pop up tendency? He will start Sunday on short rest if the Reds need to win to clinch a playoff spot. His strength is in his exceptional K/BB profile. These votes are done by the players themselves. He clearly enjoys “playing chess” with Rob Manfred. “Even if Bauer doesn’t sign a one-year deal, it seems unlikely that he would demand a deal that would lock him up into his late-30s, so a four- or five-year deal could be appealing to the Yankees, who have rotation spots to fill as Tanaka, Paxton and J.A. Throw in the fact the Yankees just told the world they sustained the greatest financial losses of any MLB organization this season due to the global pandemic, and it’s hard to envision the Bombers forking over close to $200 million to a player like Bauer.