While the wife watched him at home, Harry was to watch him at work. Having nearly starred in Verhoeven's RoboCop three years earlier, Schwarzenegger agreed to reunite with the Dutch filmmaker and make Total Recall. If the events are real (i.e. So basically I didnt understand if the main character was in a dream or in real life? I was written in as your wife so I could watch you and make sure the erasure took. [Quaid shoots her in the head. He cut his hand badly while smashing a train window, and broke a finger during a rehearsal of the hotel room fight scene. A one-stop shop for all things video games. Concept art for Cronenberg's vision can be found online. When DiLaurentiis' film company went bankrupt early in production, the film was halted. Verhoeven was so ill by the end of the shoot that he kept an ambulance nearby at all times. Trivia: Arnie was injured twice during the making of this movie. This is the exact ending of the movie. (00:45:40). Among them includes Benny's death scene, which originally depicted his gory entrails falling out his stomach when struck with a power drill. They included Richard Rush, Bruce Beresford, Russell Mulcahy, and, most notably, David Cronenberg, who wrote as many as twelve drafts before exiting the project. I just work here. Total Recall is a 1990 American science fiction action film directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox, and Michael Ironside.The film is loosely based on the 1966 Philip K. Dick short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale".. Paul Verhoeven's action-packed spectacle Total Recall is widely considered one of the finest science fiction films of all time. The project advanced to the point of having a completed screenplay, sets, costumes, and props. He cut his hand badly while smashing a train window, and broke a finger during a rehearsal of the hotel room fight scene. Verhoeven and Schwarzenegger enjoyed working with each other so much on Total Recall that they immediately began working on a follow-up project. Once there, Quaid becomes an unwitting pawn used by Rekall Inc. led by the sinister Cohaagen (Ronny Cox). One of the more memorable scenes in the film includes Quaid fighting with Richter (Michael Ironside) in the elevator. A factory worker, Douglas Quaid, begins to suspect that he is a spy after visiting Rekall - a company that provides its clients with implanted fake memories of a life they would like to have led - goes wrong and he finds himself on the run. (00:30:20 - 01:03:00). Prior to Dutch filmmaker Paul Verhoeven boarding the project, several directors were attached to direct Total Recall. Based on the Philip K. Dick story We Can Remember it For You Wholesale, the movie revolves around Quaid (Arnold Schwarzenegger), an American construction worker who takes a virtual vacation to Mars. RELATED: 10 Best Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies According To IMDB. One of Bottin's most memorable achievements was the creation of Kuato (Marshall Bell), which required 15 puppeteers to control at once. The technique was used during the sequence involving the X-ray scanner but the software broke down, forcing the sequence to be animated by hand in order to appear as an authentic photograph. At the end of the film, just as his fantasy dream is ending, he is finally lobotomized back in reality by the people at Recall. Also during production, Schwarzenegger confronted Ironside over his constant telephone use.