To pimp a butterfly [Hook:] At first, I did love you But now I just wanna fuck Late night thinkin' of you Until I got my nut Tossed and turned, lesson learned You was my first girlfriend Bridges burned, all across the board Destroyed, but what for? The song was written by the rapper alongside the featured artists, George Clinton and Thundercat, with support from the following: In his autopsy of civil rights optimism, Kendrick takes time to come down on naysayers within hip-hop itself. ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’ established Kendrick Lamar as the decade’s eminent rapper, a state-of-play address so smart and slogan-packed it could be a manifesto for the ongoing civil rights struggle. 17 Oct. 2020. The world's defining voice in music and pop culture since 1952. https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/31768256/Kendrick+Lamar. FAVORITE When I get signed, homie I'mma act a fool Hit the dance floor, strobe lights in the room On this track from his fourth mixtape, ‘O(verly) D(edicated)’, Kendrick threatens to burn out, straining his voice in a stream-of-consciousness that tumbles through personal confessions and parochial ills before flipping. We pick the best verses and lines from Kendrick Lamar's instant hip-hop classic, 'To Pimp a Butterfly'. He first gained major attention after the release of his fourth mixtape, Overly Dedicated, in 2010. Get instant explanation for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web! Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Warner Chappell Music, Inc. We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. But this cautious speculation on a murderer’s identity stands out, with Kendrick offering a front-row seat to the moral dilemmas at the heart of a high-stakes lifestyle. Look out for your first newsletter in your inbox soon! Lyrics.com. (4 fans), Kendrick Lamar Duckworth (born June 17, 1987), simply known as Kendrick Lamar, is an American hip hop recording artist from Compton, California, currently signed to Top Dawg, Aftermath, and Interscope. This controversial parting shot from ‘The Blacker the Berry’ questions whether George Zimmerman, the neighbourhood watch coordinator who fatally shot unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin in 2012, is so much worse than mindless gangbangers. Playlist, Written by: Columbus Tower Smith, Sam Barsh, Fredrik Nils Olof Halldin, Kendrick Lamar Duckworth. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Mortal Man Lyrics: Ohhh, ohhhh, woahhh / Uh, yeah / Uh, yeah / Uh / Yeah, uh / The ghost of Mandela, hope my flows stay propellin' / Let these words be your Earth and moon, you consume every message https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhXSoKa8xw. Not just a dissection of Black America’s response to Trayvon Martin’s murder, ‘The Blacker the Berry’ takes a second to add a puzzle piece to ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’’s state-of-play thesis on white supremacy.