She physically drags, and then throws her, to her bedroom floor. It's one of her final moments of naiveté. When she lifts her thin gown she finds her lower half bandaged. With The Handmaid’s Tale season 1 out now on DVD, here’s a recap of what happened in preparation for season 2… In the final episode, we learn that Offred is pregnant, presumably with Nick's baby, but because of her defiance at Janine's salvaging, a black van comes to take her away and punish her. ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Season 1, Episode 3: Gender Treachery, Alexis Bledel, left, and Ann Dowd in “The Handmaid’s Tale.”, Soraya Nadia McDonald writes in a discussion of the show on “The Undefeated” site, enslaved black women in America’s history. Photo by Victoria Stevens, Visual Editor: Biel Parklee. Doesn’t he deserve to be free? “Excuse me?” she says, with a quizzical look. Hulu’s adaptation didn’t dilute a drop of the finely controlled rage in Margaret Atwood’s novel. ), Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now. Back in the present, Offred finds herself being treated surprisingly well: the housekeeper Rita stops her from picking up a bag of groceries, then even pulls out the seat for her at the dinner table to serve her lunch, which she then tops off with not only a dessert (which she had to barter for) but also a rose, eliciting yet another inner “f---” from Offred. Deadline reports that Mckenna Grace has joined the cast of The Handmaid's Tale Season 4. It's here that they're taught their handmaid duties and how "special" their role is in keeping the human race alive. She’s published a book called A Woman’s Place arguing that women have a Christian, moral responsibility to be mothers, and that domesticity and meekness don’t equate to weakness. His attempt to help appears to leave Offred even more preoccupied than before. 22 hours ago, by Brea Cubit No need to worry though, that backstory is definitely on tap for Season 4. But its decision to create Gilead as a postracial society and ignore the inner lives of its women of color makes its feminist aims feel halfhearted. "Everybody breaks. Even more than her choice of descriptors, the way she wields the past tense is chilling. Status. Offred used this phrase to play on Commander Waterford’s guilt about her predecessor and manipulate him. Ofglen is gone. In a gradually heating bathtub, you’d be boiled to death before you knew it,” she says. “She doesn’t belong to you; she isn’t your property.” Soon, though, Moira’s forced to put an end to her protests: she needs him to walk her to the train station, since at this point, “it’s crazy out there.”. It’s the kind of performance that demands a lot from an actor. It's almost encouraging until you remember her motivations. Unhinged young Janine (Madeline Brewer), who is told by the Aunts she is to blame for the gang-rape she suffered at age fourteen, has an eye amputated there for bad behaviour. TBA. Handmaids are clearly unwelcome after the mansion-owner’s wife reveals “that girl, that ungrateful girl” Janine bit her while she was attempting to take away her baby, and Offred wanders upstairs to find her teething friend, who turns out to have a series of unsettling secrets, from asserting that she can do anything now that she’s had a healthy baby—even have ice cream—to her commander’s alleged promise that he loves her and plans to run away with her someday. Now that Moira and Luke are together, we will get to see them hopefully join the resistance together in season two and try to save Offred. While the word “clitoridectomy” is never spoken, it’s clear this is the mutilation imposed on Ofglen. Keep track of your favorite shows and movies, across all your devices. Hulu released a teaser for Season 4, and though there is a lot of recycled footage from earlier seasons, we did get a few peeks at new footage filmed before production had to shut down. Nonetheless Offred makes it known to Alma, Handmaid to Commander Ellis, that she wants to become part of the Mayday Resistance. With Offred still recovering from being electrocuted, the interrogation begins, and a series of questions about Ofglen soon transpire that leave Offred no chance. • When Nick brings ice to Offred’s room in order to tend to her wounds he stands close enough to kiss her. "She does sometimes do things that we think are very understandable and noble and even likable," Miller said. Elisabeth Moss will direct. A monthly event, The Ceremony involves the Commander reading aloud from the bible, then raping the Handmaid while she lies between the wife’s legs. It is a sweet thing to say, but also an easy one, now that it’s all said and done. "We don't see ending it in [Season 4], and I can honestly say to you, we don't have a definitive out. There’s a curious musical choice nestled in one of Offred’s pivotal memories that illuminates some of my issues so far with “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Offred attends a march with Moira to protest the country’s devolution into a totalitarian state. “Should I just go into the kitchen and cut my dick off?” he asks Offred and Moira angrily when they continue to fret over their frozen bank accounts, insisting, with good but extremely patronizing intentions, that he’ll make sure to “take care” of them. Before things changed, she was a homeless addict forced into prostitution, so relatively, life is better for her now. until it's not. ... Find out which iconic Season 3 episode they'll be staging; The 100 Best Shows on TV Right Now “Ofglen is quite a beautiful girl, isn’t she?” Aunt Lydia prods. Maternity wards are empty, candle-lit vigils are held outside praying for successful labours. Lift up the rock and see what comes wriggling out. In a surprising twist, Commander Lawrence decided to stay behind in Gilead to try to clean up the mess he'd caused rather than escaping to Canada as he planned. It's the last we see of her until almost the end of the season. “Please god, I don’t want pain, I don’t want to be a doll hung on the wall, I want to keep living.