See the example below: In this progression, we could put the G7sus4 chord in place of Dm7, with: Note that these two chords have 3 notes in common: C, D, and F. Since they are very similar, one can perform the function of the other. if (!window.AdButler){(function(){var s = document.createElement("script"); s.async = true; s.type = "text/javascript";s.src = 'https://servedbyadbutler.com/app.js';var n = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; n.parentNode.insertBefore(s, n);}());} Wait a second – aren’t these the same exact notes as the previous Asus2 chord? You don’t have to play it fast; take your time with it, but here’s a D sus2 sweep arpeggio I made to show you what I mean: These sound a lot more unique to me than the typical stuff out there. Further, just because the sus chord replaces the 3rd with a … And as you advance and look into complex chords you will always at least know what to do with the sus2 and sus4! I know they were for me the moment I learned about them! Here’s a helpful breakdown of the progression: There are as many ways to use sus chords as there are songwriters. To find out more about cookies, privacy and how we use advertising, please read our Advertising Disclaimer, Contact Info - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy, Copyright © 2007 - 2020 www.guitar-chords.org.uk. For example, if you are in the key of C, Esus2 won’t sound right with everything else because there is a minor 2nd interval on the third scale degree, which is E. If you were to use a major 2nd, which is F-sharp, you would be out of key. Unlike triads and power chords, the inversions of sus chords will have different names, but will still ultimately consist of the same notes just like any other chord and their inversions. Whereas a major triad would be 1 3 5 and a minor triad would be 1 b3 5.....a suspended 4th (sus4) chord would be 1 4 5 and a suspended 2nd (sus2) chord would be 1 2 5.

Arranging different types of chords together is how you make the satisfying progressions that give your songs their feel and flow. V7 gives you the strongest feeling of tension and release since it contains both of these essential tones. For example, try Csus2 to G. If the resolution were C minor instead of C major in the previous example, we would need to add one more tension note. But sometimes you want a dominant sound that’s less extreme. Now that we are more advanced, we will see the most common cases where these chords appear. As we mentioned you will see sus2 less, but when it is used you might see it along with the sus4. That jazz influence carries over to modern R&B where the smooth sound of a sus7 with added extensions is common. Generally speaking, you can test them out and use suspended chords wherever they sound good, except as the very last chord in a song. ©2014-2020 All Rights Reserved - Simplifying Theory. Similarly, a Dsus2 chord consists of D (root)—E (our suspended 2nd scale degree)—A perfect 5th. Music theory can be complicated but we need to know it if we want to make sense of everything and improve our guitar knowledge and playing. Another very common use for the suspended chord is over the sixth degree chord of the major key. You can use sus2 chords a lot of the time, but there will be situations where it just won’t work because the necessary major 2nd interval is not there. Earlier on in this article, I mentioned that suspended chords are often used as a way to create well … suspense! Remember, the 3rd determines whether a chord is major or minor. Since they have no third their harmonic function doesn’t seem clear right away. This chord has evolved quite recently compared to the suspended fourth and while the theory behind it makes sense, there are some that argue it's usage because it's simply an inversion of a Sus4 chord. See the reason for this in the example below, which is a very common cadence (already studied) to resolve in minor chords: As the key here is that of C minor, the second degree has the flat fifth (Ab note, in this case). Playing suspended, or sus, chords on the guitar is an easy, yet interesting, and effective way to spice up your riffs and chord progressions. Sus chords are an important part of any songwriter’s toolkit.

When those notes get closer (to the root on sus2 and fifth on sus4) they create tension in the chord. A suspended chord (or sus chord) is a musical chord in which the (major or minor) third is omitted, replaced usually with either a perfect fourth or a major second although the fourth is far more common. We’ll be in the key of C, so we can focus on the natural notes (no sharps or flats), and it will be easier to visualize and follow along. (As you advance in reading music suspended and extended chords will often be left up to you.). And when we build on those chords we generally stick to the same structure. In jazz music, the 9th or 13th chord extensions are often added to make the chord sound more rich.

Playing suspended, or sus, chords on the guitar is an easy, yet interesting, and effective way to spice up your riffs and chord progressions.

Even if you don’t plan on being a sweep picking shredder, though, there’s a lot you can do with suspended chords, and you can start applying a lot of them right away with these tips. document.write('<'+'div id="placement_291816_'+plc291816+'">'); The second chord in the verse progression of D’Angelo’s “Feel like Makin’ Love” is a rich Vsus13. This is something that it shares in common with power chords, which only consist of a root and perfect 5th.