He is the only pitcher to have done so in three different decades. His last–ever lead in the all–time strikeout race was after his start on September 4, 1984, when he struck out four Cubs to lead Ryan by three (3,857 to 3,854). ", Speaking about today's pitch counts, Carlton said, "I wasn't raised in this environment, so I think differently. Notes: The Date / Box field has a link to the box score from the game being described. 2011 Kershaw | It's all quotes, anyway, and it all sounds the same to me. I've told him that. Part of the Baseball Almanac Family, Philadelphia's Top Fifty Baseball Players, Steve Carlton 1967 World Series Batting Logs. If the Date is followed by an asterisk (*), Carlton started during that game at the first position listed in Joe Carlton was an airline maintenance worker. stats, pitching stats (where applicable), cumulative career totals Although the season ended with a mere two–strikeout lead for Ryan (3,874 to 3,872), Carlton had an injury-riddled season in 1985 and an even worse season in 1986 before being released by the Phillies just 18 strikeouts short of 4,000. Ebenfalls errichteten sie eine Statue von ihm außerhalb des Citizens Bank Park. [3], He attended North Miami High School, playing baseball and basketball at first. As a senior, Carlton quit basketball to concentrate on pitching. Carlton collected his 4,000th career strikeout, striking out Eric Davis in an 11-6 Giants loss to the Reds in San Francisco on August 5, 1986. [18], Some highlights of Carlton's 1972 season included starting the season with 5 wins and 1 loss, then losing 5 games in a row, during which period the Phillies scored only 10 runs. 1989 Davis | $5,000 in 1963 is equivalent to $38,556.97 in 2014 dollars. 2005 Carpenter | Nothing distracted him. 1985 Gooden | One of his most remarkable records was accounting for nearly half (46%) of his team's wins, when he won 27 games for the last-place (59–97) 1972 Phillies. 1999 Johnson | biographical data, year-by-year hitting stats, detailed fielding Though never pitching a perfect game of no-hitter, Carlton struck out 19 batters during one contest. "[35], He made the Twins roster in 1988, pitching in four games (0–1 with a 16.76 ERA), before being released by the Twins on April 23, 1988 after surrendering eight runs in five innings in his final game. 1988 Hershiser | [22], "Auggie Busch traded me to the last-place Phillies over a salary dispute," Reflected Carlton on his 1972 season. 1973 Seaver | In a game against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium, they became the first teammates and 300-game winners to appear in the same game, a 10–6 Yankee victory. He was a perfectionist. 4.5 [36], Carlton remained unsigned in 1989. I'm on to different things. [32] With the White Sox, Carlton went 4–3 with a 3.69 ERA. "I was mentally committed to winning 25 games with the Cardinals and now I had to re-think my goals. No teams signed Carlton for the remainder of the 1988 season. Steven Norman Carlton (December 22, 1944-) was the first pitcher to ever win four Cy Young Awards and trails only Warren Spahn (363) in victories by a lefthander and Nolan Ryan (5,714) in strikeouts. Einen Fernsehauftritt hatte Steve Carlton in der amerikanischen Serie Eine schrecklich nette Familie. Instead, Carlton was listed as an "unidentified Secret Service agent. 1998 Glavine |