Ash begs to be given another chance by Michael, but Michael can’t do it. • We know there is going to be a Season 3. It’s a guidepost reminding her of who she used to be and how far she’s come. Movies and TV shows are Certified Fresh with a steady Tomatometer of 75% or higher after a set amount of reviews (80 for wide-release movies, 40 for limited-release movies, 20 for TV shows), including 5 reviews from Top Critics. In what feels like a course correct for this show, the episode spends a fair amount of time (and visual effects money) reveling in this scene of scientific success. Andrew Todd Birth.Movies.Death. “If ever there was a time to go wild,” Stamets says, and he’s not kidding.

.cls-2{mix-blend-mode:screen}.cls-3{fill:none;stroke:red;stroke-miterlimit:10;stroke-width:4px}.cls-4{fill:red}. For better and worse, the perfect capper to the season. Kayti Burt is a full-time pop culture writer who serves as a staff editor at Den of Geek.

The season's penultimate episode is Discovery's best yet, a reminder of what this show is capable of when it slows down. Several bangs, even. In Star Trek: Discovery's season 2 finale "Such Sweet Sorrow Part 2" (Season 2 Episode 14), the Discovery, Enterprise, and Section 31 fire phasers at each other a lot. Unintentionally, Spock was voicing the thoughts of a vocal segment of “Star Trek” fans. With only one episode left and a Klingon homeworld to invade, things are about to get bumpy—but, I have to say, I’m finally starting to enjoy the ride. And it’s relentless. That Herculean task is further complicated by the fact that Sarek and Cornwell have given the keys of the Discovery over to Emperor Georgiou, a woman who eats Sarus and, just five minutes ago, was ruling a brutal, totalitarian empire. And by the end of the episode, Spock suggests that Starfleet should essentially erase the existence of the Discovery. Page 1 of 1. And somehow, the Ba’ul and Klingons are able to come lend a hand, but no other Starfleet ships? Stamets plans to do so by terraforming a moon with his last remaining spore from the mycelial network. We don’t get definitive resolution on that in the finale. The notion that L’Rell could pull this off without significant opposition from other Klingons — or even from her own crew members — is questionable at best. “There is also grace [in loving someone],” Sarek tells Michael, “because what other source of peace exists than our ability to love our enemy?” Something tells me the work Michael has done since Binary Stars and the empathy she continues to value despite all of the pain she has been through will be vital in next week’s season finale. Staffel 2 Episode 14 (Star Trek: Discovery 2x14) Die U.S.S. Cornwell bursts back onto the scene by blowing Lorca’s bowl of fortune cookies to smithereens and talking to L’Rell like an equal, just as Saru did. It would also deprive the Federation of key assets: a time suit, the spore drive and some of its best officers. He will need support, but he is the one who has to do the work; who has to want to do the work. Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Episode 13. So why does Discovery have to go into the future? Spock, in particular, given his character history, would seem to have a hard time not telling the truth about this. This Star Trek: Discovery review contains spoilers.. Star Trek: Discovery Episode 14. It’s very existence is the problem, as Spock said in the first part of the episode. Discovery seems to be backtracking a bit on the Voq thing, which I am totally OK with.
Emperor Georgiou gives Michael similar advice: attack Qo’noS, the Klingon homeworld. L’Rell tells Cornwell what she needs to know: the Klingons will never stop, unless they are conquered by the Federation. She’s been made to understand, from the compassion and patience of mothers like Georgiou and Amanda, that failure isn’t a weakness; it’s the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. “The resemblance is remarkable,” said everyone to and about the Emperor. April 22, 2019. He has to save himself. Percentage of users who rate a movie or TV show positively.

The Emperor tells Michael that her regret is a mistake, but it’s not.

Wasn’t Pike told he was locked into his future? Season 2, Episode 14: ‘Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2’ The season finale of “Star Trek: Discovery” was true to form: alternately impressive and head-scratching; a … And what about the Control-As-Borg theory? Dabei geht es in dem Kampf nicht nur um ihre Leben, sondern die Zukunft selbst. Yet, in the finale, Georgiou, following a long fist fight, tells the bridge that Leland has been killed. You’d think that thing could have let out a helpful squawk when Voq/Tyler walked by. We're going to the final frontier for real this time.

Buckle up, Disco-ers. And it’s solitary.” She tells Ash how hard it is letting him go, but does give him her empathy and her hope. But maybe next season? ), Control (i.e. ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 2, Episode 14: Virtue Signaling, Sonequa Martin-Green in “Star Trek: Discovery.”.

Ash can’t put his mental health on anyone else. After a trip to the Mirrorverse, a secret Klingon reveal, and some light time travel, Michael Burnham is right back where she started: under Georgiou’s command, about to face off against the Klingons. The Essential DanMachi Moments, Star Trek: Discovery Episode 14 Review — The War Without, The War Within. His existence nearly cost L’Rell her chancellorship before it got off the ground. Rude. Why not put a pin in that plan? Season 2 was certainly an improvement on the first season but overall, “Discovery” still felt like it was trying to find its footing. It works. It represents the percentage of professional critic reviews that are positive for a given film or television show. Much of the episode, at least for me, recalled “Star Trek: Nemesis,” one of the more reviled Trek movies. Actually, its season finale was approximately 90 percent bangs.

From there, the Discovery can map the locations of the Klingon weaponry and defenses: the key to their attack’s success. Of course just because Saru has ill-advisedly given Tyler the freedom to walk around the Discovery, doesn’t mean Michael is ready to go back to how things were before Tyler snapped Hugh’s neck and tried to kill Michael herself. The future of humanity is at stake. This isn’t a victory in battle, it is the creation of new life and, after a season of torture, cannibalism, and murder, boy did I need this.
All rights reserved. This is why the Discovery has to go into the future. (I did think it was a nice moment when Burnham and Spock said good bye to each other.). Punch it.

This will force the Klingons to abandon their attacks and flee home. She also, no doubt, has her own agenda, something anyone who two eyes can see in the final scene, which sees Michelle Yeoh gloriously playing the Emperor-masquerading-as-Georgiou with a cat-about-to-catch-the-mouse grin. “I had to work through it. “Do not regret loving someone, Michael.” Sarek, finally acting like a dad. Michael can’t save him—even if she wanted to. Why hide their contributions? “You don’t have to do this.

Speaking of the fortune cookies, what happened to Lorca’s Tribble? Of all the different ways to try and re-establish continuity, I never guessed that Discovery would go and pull an Armin Tamzarian. It’s much appreciated.

“We created something beautiful today in a desolate wasteland that had never seen life,” Michael tells Ash. Does it center on Spock? When she looks at Tyler now, she sees the man who tried to kill her. Star Trek: Discovery capped off its sophomore season with a breathlessly paced finale packed with eye-popping visual effects. So why was it such a big deal for Pike to take a crystal out of Boreth? To do so, they will first need to create a new colony of spores. I was riveted by the episode — the stakes felt real and drawn out — until the Klingons and the Ba’ul fighters showed up. So Discovery has been a real weird Star Trek adventure so far, and this season was worse than the first one. It turns out it was never from the future. The Discovery plans to jump not to Qo’noS, but into Qo’noS—or, more accurately, into the subterranean caves that lie just under the surface. I’m OK.” “How could that possibly be true?” Tilly knows what’s up. It looks like it will be on Michael and Saru to keep the Emperor in check, a task that will no doubt be more difficult by the fact that Michael has already mutineed a Georgiou before. But that’s where we leave off: The Discovery is presumably in the future. It’s a major logic fail that anyone would let the Emperor hang out in quarters more or less unguarded, nevertheless give her command of an entire ship whose crew apparently think she is their kind, beloved mentor, miraculously returned from the dead. Not really. There is an intensely long battle in which the Enterprise (and the Discovery, in this case) are massively outgunned by an enemy with the upper hand. Maybe Starfleet would authorize the construction of a new time suit to bring back the Discovery crew. Now that the show is back in the Prime universe, the show is back to exploring what kind of Federation this alliance of species aims to be. Sarek doesn’t ask for consent when initiating the mind meld? It’s never been better in this second half of the season than in “The War Without, The War Within,” an episode that sees our heroes not shooting at something with the purpose of harming it, but shooting at something with the purpose of giving it life. What will Tilly name the moon? This is where it went off the rails for me.

While Starfleet may be struggling, Cornwell has proven herself a competent leader. Den of Geek This Star Trek: Discovery review contains spoilers.. Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Episode 10. A long-term lover of all things science fiction…, the soul of the Federation itself is in jeopardy, Warrior Season 2 Episode 3 Review: Not How We Do Business, Supernatural Season 15 Episode 15: Gimme Shelter Review, Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Episode 1 Review: That Hope is You, Part 1, Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 Episode Guide, Star Trek: Discovery Potential Spinoffs We’d Like to See, How Hunt A Killer Expands the Blair Witch Universe with New Horror Game, Topps' Fright Flicks Cards: Where Horror and Comedy Collide, Best Horror Movies on Netflix: Scariest Films to Stream, Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? There is even an extended — and a bit pointless — boarding party when Leland beams over to the Discovery.

“Control has been neutralized,” she tells Saru. To push an entire Starfleet crew into the future seems like a drastic step if the deadly enemy has been offset — even if temporarily. I’m not sure why Cornwell wouldn’t tell the rest of the crew who Georgiou truly is—lying to your crew about something like this is some Lorca-level bullshit—but I suppose we’ll have to wait and see what their master plan is. Wherever they lead us next season, I'm happy to follow. The episode, a loud and clangy combustion of an already hard-to-follow season, was like Discovery's normal bombastic pitch turned up past eleven. Stamets said she would get to if the spore mission succeeded. Particularly when Burnham and Spock solve another grand mystery, which is when Burnham sent the red signals.