He was the founder and first President-General of the Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League (UNIA-ACL, commonly known as UNIA), through which he declared himself Provisional President of Africa. I am delighted to read about such a great man as Mr, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 23, 2017. But they were afraid of offending the "colored gentry" that were passed for white. I decided to do the latter, hence my offence against "colored-black-white" society in the colonies and America. I bought this for a friend who thought he knew Marcus inside out. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Members save with free shipping everyday! Marcus Garvey had a beautiful mind, yet we do not study him in the western society. I started The Negro World. Fearless and NOT corrupt at all. One of my father's properties, the place where I lived most of the time, was adjoining that of a white man. He had three girls and two boys; the Wesleyan minister, another white man whose church my parents attended, also had property adjoining ours. This anthology contains some of his most noted writings, among them “The Negro’s Greatest Enemy,” "Declaration of the Rights of the Negro Peoples of the World," and "Africa for the Africans," as well as powerful speeches on unemployment, leadership, and emancipation.Essential reading for students of African-American history, this volume will also serve as a useful reference for anyone interested in the history of the civil rights movement. My admiration for his tireless dedication and work to build a dynamic, international, afro-centric business coalition puts him in the company of Madam C.J.Walker, Booker T. Washington and Malcolm X. Disk plus 64-page book with all designs printed one side only. "... my doom—if I may so call it—of being a race leader dawned upon me ...". This book is really good and inspirational. A special man isolated in being ahead of his time. Submit your email address to receive Barnes & Noble offers & updates. Where did the name of the organization come from? Fearless and NOT corrupt at all. The next day it was reported that he committed suicide in jail just before he was to be taken before a City Magistrate. A controversial figure in the history of race relations around the world, Marcus Garvey amazed his enemies as much as he dazzled his admirers. "Where is his President, his country, and his ambassador, his army, his navy, his men of big affairs?" On the second split in Harlem thirteen of the members conferred with me and requested me to become President for a time of the New York organization so as to save them from the politicians. Unable to add item to List. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Mistakes are what makes us human. Reviewed in the United States on January 4, 2019, This book is a must have when when learning about not just African American history but how to face many adversities and overcome them successfully, Reviewed in the United States on June 4, 2019.