For more information, visit Sam crying on the big screen, that got me, looking at my family brought tears to my eyes, and when all our boys came out onto the field...", WATCH: South Sydney's grand final victory lapWATCH: Rabbitohs v Bulldogs grand final highlightsGALLERY: Highlights from the 2014 NRL Grand Final. Smith vs Thurston: Who is the Greatest of the Generation? So, without further adieu, let’s take a look at the greatest South Sydney Rabbitohs players of all time. Only slightly built, Churchill won four premierships with the Rabbitohs, including captain-coaching the team in his final season. I can know a fair few of these players so must be getting on myself. Ian Roberts would have been a strong contender if he had stayed at Souths longer. He played in the centres early in his career during an era where the club had a glut of forward talent, before later moving into the backrow. But this was a win for the ages, a win for all ages and a win that took an age to be realised, but boy oh boy, was it worth the wait. Includes official live player and team stats. The club's players have also achieved some notable individual game and point scoring milestones: If it’s true that defence wins Premierships, we’re declaring this list as t.. 211 matches (1963-1975, 1978), 100 tries. Some other very handy players haven’t made my team, like Eric Simms (fullback), Mike Cleary (winger), Benny Wearing (winger), Nathan Merritt (winger and Souths all-time leading try scorer), Ray Branighan (centre), Alf Blair (five-eighth), Les Cowie (lock), George Treweek (second-row), and George Piggins (hooker). You can also find the latest player signings and player movements for the upcoming season. Sorry but this browser is no longer supported. Definitely an outstanding player, but only had 3-4 years at Souths. The NRL Auckland Nines is a pre-season rugby league nines competition featuring all 16 NRL clubs. to continue using this website. ... 1st Half) - Round 7, 2014. Val definitely shouldnt be in the conversation anyone can catch a ball run 10 meters and put it down, I agree he was least effective out of the 4 wingers in the final. Latest odds at, Moses Mbye replaces injury captain Michael Ennis at hooker, with Reni Maitua dropping out of the squad. He and John Sattler formed arguably one of the toughest front row pairings ever seen on a rugby league field. No Souths forward has a tougher reputation than John Sattler after his heroics in playing almost an entire match with a broken jaw as captain in Souths’ brutal 1970 grand final win. Jump to navigation Jump to search Following are … The 2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs season was the 105th in the club's history. That decision was subsequently overturned on appeal, after several public rallies from their legion of die-hard fans. Sattler captained the Bunnies to four premierships during his career and led the Australian Test team in 1969 and 1970. To top it off, he was a handy goal-kicker as well. Are New Zealan.. Bob Grant won three premierships with Souths during the golden era for the club in the late 1960s and early 1970s. In 2014, the Rabbitohs won their first Grand Final and premership in 43 years, defeating the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 30-6 on 5 October 2014. NRL Help That versatility allows you to find a spot for him, given that the immortal Clive Churchill has the fullback spot nailed down. 157 matches (1947-1958), 13 tries, 77 goals. We talk about th.. Our discussion with Masters Rugby League player (and Great Britain Internat.. New South Wales Blues: All-Time Greatest Origin XIII, Queensland Maroons: All-Time Greatest Origin XIII, Gold Coast Titans: All-Time Greatest XIII, New Zealand Warriors: All-Time Greatest XIII, Immortal Contenders: Rugby League’s Greatest Pre-War Players, Australian Rugby League’s Team of the Decade (1970s). Worst Games: We can call it character building now but when South Sydney lost a third straight game at the hands of the Raiders in Round 4, questions about their premiership credentials were being asked. Full Match Replay: NRLW Roosters v Broncos - Round 3, 2020, Full Match Replay: NRLW Dragons v Warriors - Round 3, 2020, NRL finals week 3 & NRLW round 3 squad announcements, NRL finals week 2 & NRLW round 2 squad announcements, You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content, Apisai Koroisau replaces the suspended Issac Luke at hooker while Ben Lowe, Luke Burgess and Bryson Goodwin drop off the extended bench. “The players that have been there and experienced it still have that burning desire.” Rabbitohs centre Dane Gagai says a day rarely goes by when he … Those under the age of 50 wouldn’t have seen many of these Rabbitohs players live in action, but their records speak for themselves. Bob McCarthy is the all-time leading try scorer among forwards to have donned the red-and-green jersey and is often cited as one of rugby league’s greatest second rowers. Greg Inglis is the only modern day Souths player I’ve found a place for in my all-time greatest XIII. I was prepared to write a full essay if Holmes was ahead of Mcgillvary. That seemed to shift in Round 9 when Dylan Walker, Kirosome Auva'a and Alex Johnston scored all seven tries in the 40-18 defeat of the Titans with the trio scoring 42 tries between them in 2014. Subscribe Home; Prospect Search; FutureCast; Home; Prospect Search; FutureCast; Your account has an invalid email address. . or another browser such as But the numbers are not what defines Sam Burgess. In 2014, the Rabbitohs again competed in three pre-season trial matches. Walters’ all-round ability saw him selected for two Kangaroo Tours to Great Britain and France during his time at Souths. South Sydney Rabbitohs versus Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs match centre includes live scores and updates. I cried then and I cried today. Momentum plays an undeniable role in the composition and outcome of Rugby L.. History suggests that whenever James Maloney switches teams, the fates of t.. Who would you like to see next? Looks pretty good although I haven’t seen all these players play. Sam Burgess revived memories of that feat when he played nearly a full game with a broken cheekbone as captain in Souths’ 2014 grand final win. "That was a hard time. It wasn’t about trying to be a hero. Marsters, 20, made his NRL debut just this year for the Rabbitohs in round 15, scoring a try upon debut. Reportedly the quickest winger of his era, he scored a hat-trick of tries in South Sydney’s 1953 grand final win, which was one of three premierships he achieved with the Rabbitohs. or Missing In Action: Luke Keary (16 weeks), Issac Luke (eight) and John Sutton (five) were all missing through injury at various stages of the season but the Rabbitohs got through 2014 using only 27 players, the third fewest in NRL. It would have been a crippling loss on so many levels but they regrouped, levelled things by half-time and scored 32 unanswered points in total on their way to a 32-22 win over their arch rivals. They won 30-6, but it was by no means that easy, and the emotion-charged scenes in the aftermath were unlike anything the game had seen since perhaps Newcastle's triumph in 1997. Pail Sait played as a centre earlier in his career, before moving to the backrow.