The seemingly ordinary world of St Petersburg takes on a nightmarish quality in the The Double when a government clerk encounters a man who looks exactly like him – his double perhaps, or possibly the darker side of his own personality. In his "Lectures on Russian Literature," Nabokov says, "The very best thing he [Dostoyevsky] ever wrote seems to me to be 'The Double.' Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 20 August 2020. So long live the underground!’Alienated from society and paralysed by a sense of his own insignificance, the anonymous narrator of Dostoyevsky’s groundbreaking Notes from Underground tells the story of his tortured life. Prime members enjoy Free Two-Day Shipping, Free Same-Day or One-Day Delivery to select areas, Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Reading, and more. Notes from Underground was such an eye-opening read revolving around the inevitability of suffering in life.  US$19.00, US$14.23 Buy this book. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Okay. Like Notes from Underground, this is a masterly study of human consciousness.Jessie Coulson’s introduction discusses the stories’ critical reception and the themes they share with Dostoyevksy’s great novels. Please try again. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. '. Okay. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 20, 2020. A dark and politically charged novel, "Notes From Underground" shows Dostoyevsky at his best. Can't Buy Me Love: A wild coming of age journey through the swinging sixties. "Notes From Underground" and "The Double" are two of Dostoyevsky's more popular shorter works, which exhibit the author's uncanny ability to portray the darker side of the human psyche. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 15, 2019. From 1849-54 he lived in a convict prison, and in later years his passion for gambling led him deeply into debt. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 15, 2019. We’d love your help. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Mixture of literary and philosophical value. Other than that I found this a great purchase. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. The Double I enjoyed less and I wouldn’t recommend it as much, I can see why it isn’t one of Dostoyevsky’s more renowned titles. Prime members enjoy fast & free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video and many more exclusive benefits. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. The self-loathing author stumbles from one unlikely scenario to the next, simultaneously overly-aware of both his unfathomable social ineptitude and lack of resolve. At first I thought the narrator is the classic portrait of an introvert because he loves being alone in his allegorical underground cave so much, but this guy goes beyond that in self hatred and misanthropy. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky was born in Moscow in 1821. At first I thought the narrator is the classic portrait of an introvert because he loves being alone in his allegorical underground cave so much, but this guy goes beyond that in self hatred and misanthropy. Let’s see where we end up. I rank it in Dostoevsky's top works along with Crime and Karamazov. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. Both of the stories were very dark stories with unreliable narrators; you could see how both of the narrators were sliding into madness slowly through the story, and you couldn't never tell if the details in the story were just. This book was a journey through the darkest crevices of the human mind, truly ahead of its time and a predecessor of Freud. The best thing is conscious inertia!  US$22.00, US$32.21 x 17mm Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 15 August 2019. Great purchase.  US$13.95, US$14.94  US$25.00, US$11.12  US$10.00, US$14.95 Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. | ISBN 9780140442526 Unable to add item to List. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages that interest you. 9/3/11 Lightbulb: must remember to consider Dostoyevsky's time imprisoned in Siberia as more than a footnote finding mention in his novels. I read this last year sometime in some electronic form or other. It's a perfectly accurate psychological endeavour. Later in life he fell deeply in debt but his second marriage to Anna Snitkina helped him to put his affairs in order. Notes from Underground & The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 5,578 ratings, 4.20 average rating, 253 reviews Notes from Underground & The Double Quotes Showing 1 … Why narrator, I never would have guessed! Like Notes from Underground, this is a masterly tragicomic study of human consciousness. He finds his work wanting both in art and in genius. "THE DOUBLE… The rushing and confused depiction of events … Yet I think it is read today for the very seem reasons we always read Dostoevsky: for his command over intensity, his genuine and masterly sense of atmosphere, and his ability to psychologize those who are suffering.  US$5.99, US$20.68 The seemingly ordinary world of St Petersburg takes on a nightmarish quality in The Double when a government clerk encounters a man who exactly resembles him – his double perhaps, or possibly the darker side of his own personality. The seemingly ordinary world of St Petersburg takes on a nightmarish quality in The Double when a government clerk encounters a man who looks exactly like him - his double, perhaps, or possibly the darker side of his own personality. While the author's writing style reflects this social ineptitude (eg. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness.  US$18.00, US$15.58 Whilst browsing through a few pages on the DLR I was approached by someone who I can only describe as an academic.  US$10.99, US$10.29 The best thing is conscious inertia! Sorry, there was a problem saving your cookie preferences. July 30th 1972 Refresh and try again. It is the story -- told very elaborately, in great, almost Joycean detail ..., and in a style intensely saturated with phonetic and rhythmical expressiveness -- of a government clerk who goes mad, obsessed by the idea that a fellow clerk has usurped his identity.  US$24.00, US$15.58 Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 24, 2020.  US$31.25, US$14.97 Golyadkinjunior' really a double or simply a earful side of his own nature? The Double is a disturbing description of one individual’s descent into madness, probably schizophrenia. It is the story -- told very elaborately, in great, almost Joycean detail ..., and in a style intensely saturated with phonetic and rhythmical expressiveness -- of a government clerk who goes mad, obsessed by the idea that a fellow clerk has usurped his identity. In order to navigate out of this carousel, please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. I was looking for a serious book, something that would help me get taken more seriously on the tube. These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. "Notes from Underground" (1864) is a study of a single character, 'the real man of the Russian majority', and a revelation of Dostoyevsky's own deepest beliefs. Thank you very much. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It is a perfect work of art, that story ...." But Nabokov does not think so well of Dostoyevsky's other works. Buy, Jul 30, 1972 (The ... Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1821–1881), one of nineteenth-century Russia’s greatest novelists, spent four years in a convict prison in Siberia, after which he was obliged to enlist in the army. I was looking for a serious book, something that would help me get taken more seriously on the tube. Alienated from society and paralysed by a sense of his own insignificance, the anonymous narrator of Dostoyevsky’s groundbreaking Notes from Underground tells the story of his tortured life. Dispatched from the UK in 3 business days He finds his work wanting both in art and in genius. Is 'Mr. Never afterwards was he so fully and openly to reveal the inmost recesses, unmeant for display, of his heart.' Like Notes from Underground, this is a masterly tragi-comic study of human consciousousness. Whilst browsing through a few pages on the DLR I was approached by someone who I can only describe as an academic. Read the Book Behind the Showtime Limited Series, Audiobooks Read By Your Favorite Celebrities, Ina Garten's Latest Cozy and Delicious Recipes, Discover the Prologue to Jodi Picoult's Poignant New Novel, Chilling Audiobooks for a Haunting Halloween. One of his best critics has said of the first part that it forms his 'most utterly naked pages. So long live the underground!’Alienated from society and paralysed by a sense of his own insignificance, the anonymous narrator of Dostoyevsky’s groundbreaking. This book was a journey through the darkest crevices of the human mind, truly ahead of its time and a predecessor of Freud.