Poetry and Jewishness (the poetry of Jewishness, the Jewishness of poetry) became a textual place which, exiles though we may be, we recognized as a shared homeland. — Norman Finkelstein . 159 likes. The give and take of the poems, the tension of pattern and free expression, the range of Jewish reference (sometimes in Hebrew or Yiddish), and the exuberance of the writing, are all signs of shared psychic attention. He has written extensively about modern... World Heritage Encyclopedia, the aggregation of the largest online encyclopedias available, and the most definitive collection ever assembled. Earlier posts in the series, going back to 2008, may be found at Poems and Poetics. google_ad_client = "pub-2707004110972434"; — Norman Finkelstein, One day I sent Norman a poem I was working on about an eruv and a fox afoot within its bounds. I will therefore be posting work of my own, both new & old, that may otherwise be difficult or impossible to access, and I will also, from time to time, post work by others who have been close to me, in the manner of a freewheeling on-line anthology or magazine. A moose had been coming by the cabin where Tirzah and her husband Rico live. NF's author page at Amazon. Are you certain this article is inappropriate? /* 160x600, created 12/31/07 */ Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles. (I live in a cabin off-grid, and my nearest neighbors visit their cabin infrequently on the other side of the mountain.) Finkelstein was born in New York City in 1954. As Tirzah explains below, the poems simultaneously create and exist within an imaginary eruv, the boundary of that textual place. But which poets do continually.” Tirzah had read some of my work, as well, and it became clear that despite our differences — age, gender, lifestyle, but perhaps above all, our Jewish upbringings and experiences — we were deeply simpatico. google_ad_slot = "6416241264"; Postmodernism, IMPAC Award, Newark, New Jersey, Crime fiction, Berlin, Cincinnati, Ohio, University of Cincinnati, University of Dayton, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Finkelstein reaction, German language, Yiddish language, Old High German, Arthur Fields, Arthur J. Finkelstein,