They didn't hold back here and it really did feel like a fight between two enemies, with Jericho taking a big bump with the powerbomb on the ring apron. However, they played off the WrestleMania match really well, especially with KO getting to the ropes by just his fingertip. And he was really annoyed," recalled Jericho. Jericho squealed in frustration while Malenko remained stone faced. In a flurried affair, more wild carnage than story, Jericho and the talented guys working with him produced a certifiable schlobberknocker. "It was supposed to a one-month story, and Shawn and I were like, 'Why are we rushing this? The exciting high-flying offense of Y2J went up against the technical skills of the Ice Man. The match was basically a barrage of insane bumps; a bulldog from the top of a ladder, Jeff Hardy getting superplexed from a ladder and Benoit missing a flying headbutt onto a table to name a few. He gave a little sneak peak of one of those lists when he was asked what his favorite match ever was. But there are so many other ones that I can mention. Though Edge and Jericho and certainly Edge and Orton have some bad blood, the lack of buildup to this particular collision and its relative short length kept it from being as memorable as it could have been. From outside interference, to Spanish announce table drama to ref bumps, this match had just about every classic tenet of a wrestling match, all done extremely well. But no one knew that Jericho had an actual list of every single one of his matches from the very beginning, and he explained why he recorded details on each of his matches. And I said, 'You know what? This was a rematch from their WrestleMania encounter and it was very similar in terms of quality. This match features four fantastic wrestlers and if this had been given tons of time then it would have been amazing. Despite the fact that this match was quite a random one that was mainly done in order to humiliate The Miz as a heel, it ended up being a lot of fun. Upon hearing that he was supposed to lose decisively to Cena who was not on his level in many ways, Jericho could have given a flat, uninspired performance. Whether I have one or whether I have 2,725, which is what I have after [Dynamite], I'll keep a list of it. Chris Jericho facing Samoa Joe should be a major deal, but this match lasted just three minutes, which makes it very hard to rank properly. This match is a less well known gem from one of Jericho's many tours in Japan. The crowd crackling with energy, the three future Hall of Famers put on a spectacular Triple Threat Match. Seeing their sizzling chemistry, it makes a fan dream of more battles between them. He also demonstrated some classic cockiness, posing while stepping on the Rock. card/ date match match type title(s) AEW Dynamite #54 - Chris Jericho's 30th Anniversary Celebration Oct 7th 2020: Chris Jericho & Jake Hager: def. Two title matches and a big tag-team bout have been announced for next week’s special 30 Years Of Jericho anniversary edition of AEW Dynamite on … Mehdy Labriny contributed to this article. Jericho! ROH Episode 473 Recap: Pure Title Tournament Continues, The Young Bucks Talk AEW Having To Think Outside The Box During COVID-19, Blood And Guts Steel Cage, Braun Strowman Comments On Losing To Roman Reigns, New WWE Network Content, Ember Moon - NXT, Bruce Prichard Explains Why WWE Fans Did Not Embrace Ultimate Warrior Like Hulk Hogan, Overnight Ratings For First Post-Draft Episode Of WWE SmackDown, Eric Bischoff Rips Celebrity Who Appeared At WWE SmackDown On FOX Debut, AEW Teasing New Women's Feud, Shot Of Brandi With Sonny Kiss, NJPW Strong Results, Backstage News On RAW Underground's Future, Former WWE Star To Make "Big Announcement", Miro Says Former AEW Talent Has Signed With WWE, Paul Heyman Talks Brock Lesnar's WWE Future, it lists out every single one of his 2,725 matches he's had in his career, Matt Hardy's New Web Series Set To Debut Monday, Jazz Questions If Black Female Stars Are Receiving "Fair Chances" In WWE, © 2020 Webcapacity Incorporated. Both men implement the perfect amount of showmanship, theatrics, athleticism and brutality in a match and they did just that at WrestleMania XIX. They had some fantastic counters and reversals which proved how well they knew each other, and it really built on their relationship over the previous year. "Kenny Omega, The Tokyo Dome, January 4, 2018 – that was the match. Jericho was on the receiving end for most of the punishment, especially early on. A) That was my first match away from WWE in almost 20 years. "So, you're talking about a 30-year span of when the business first started. This particular bout ended being a surprisingly technical match for two high flyers. Had the ending been less Stephanie McMahon based, this would have been that much better. I'm going to keep a list of every match that I ever had by hook or by crook.' "By God, count faster. But if you want to go -- Ultimo Dragon from 1995 at the Sumo Arena. NEXT: 10 Chris Jericho Dream Matches If He Returns To WWE. Few men brought out such high-level wrestling out of the Great One like Jericho. It was competitive and it was entertaining, but nowhere near the level of their PPV bouts. As a post-match bonus, Edge speared Jericho through a barricade. Jim Ross was even more fired up than usual. Jericho and Hager vs. Luther and Serpentico. But which of Jericho's final WWE matches are the strongest? He kind of explained what was going to happen for the next two to three months in the school, and I asked him, 'How many matches have you had?' I'm putting out a book. Jericho, nose and elbow bloodied, Michael's face, demented and cold, made this brawl even more emotionally compelling. Mysterio was his usual brilliant, springboarding self. He was fresh on the main roster at that point in time and he absolutely dominated Jericho throughout the match. Inside the ring, Jericho was also firing on all cylinders, which led to some fantastic matches. Here's a look at Y2J's last hurrah in WWE before leaving the company for AEW. In every single match that I ever had, I wrote that down. "Shawn Michaels driving a stake through the heart of the demon Jericho!". And I thought to myself, 'That's really weird', because if I wanted to know how many games Wayne Gretzky has played in, I can go over to the library – remember those - and find a record book and look up Wayne Gretzky - played 1,516 games and all these stats. With superb chemistry between every combination and near falls aplenty, it was exciting from start to finish. The World's Most Entertaining Car Website, 10 Former Knockouts Champions Who Peaked With Impact Wrestling, Chris Jericho: His Final 10 WWE Matches Ranked From Worst To Best, 10 Coolest Things We've Learned About The Inner Circle From Chris Jericho’s Podcast, 10 Great Wrestlers That Chris Jericho Has Put Over, 10 Wrestlers You Totally Forgot Chris Jericho Put Over, 10 Funniest "You Just Made The List" Memes That Make Us Laugh, 10 Chris Jericho Dream Matches If He Returns To WWE, 5 Wrestlers Eddie Guerrero Loved (& 5 That He Hated), The 10 Greatest Trilogies In Wrestling History, 10 Of The Greatest Jerry Lawler Moments Of All Time, 5 Hell In A Cell Matches That Were Brutal (& 5 That Were Tame), 10 Year-Long Championship Reigns That Were Actually Pretty Terrible, Every Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns Match, Ranked From Worst To Best, One Time WWE World Champions Ranked Worst To Best, The 5 Best (& 5 Worst) SmackDown Commentary Teams, Triple H: 5 Best Matches As A Heel (& 5 Best As A Babyface), Hell In A Cell: 5 Reasons Sasha Banks Should Win (& 5 Reasons Bayley Should Retain), 5 Best Opponents For The Fiend After Getting Drafted RAW, 10 Times The WWE & World Heavyweight Titles Changed Hands On The Same Night, 10 Potential Dark Side Of The Ring Episodes, 10 Performance Center Flops That Vince McMahon Loved, Every Version Of Matt Hardy, Ranked From Worst To Best, WWE Draft 2020: 5 Wrestlers Who Should Come Up From NXT (& 5 Who Should Go Down), 10 Superstars You Didn't Realize Played Another Sport, 10 Non-Wrestlers Who Actually Won Important Matches. The most brutal match of their classic 2008 feud started with Michaels cracking the heel of his cowboy boot against Jericho's head and ended with a belt-wrapped fist pounding on an unconscious Y2J. Jericho was set to defend his Cruiserweight Championship against the winner of a Cruiserweight Battle Royal. Like many of his WCW cruiserweight matches, Jericho is the bigger man allowing him to do some power moves he'd have trouble pulling on the Rock or the Undertaker. In a blend of violence and grace, heavy with high impact moves from Cena, Jericho and Cena gave the raucous crowd a magnificent show. Jericho performance was one of his best as well, highlighted by an absolutely delectable Codebreaker. The unique stipulation that each fall could crown a new champion added an air of anticipation. A good chunk of the match took place during the final commercial break. If you use any of the quotes in this article, please credit Busted Open with a h/t to Wrestling Inc. for the transcription. You will certainly see more violent Last Man Standing matches, but few as excellently executed. After winning the battle royal, he slipped off his mask, receiving a huge pop from the crowd. "That was a man’s skull ricocheting off a steel ladder and guess who won.". Even the ref, Tim White was a bloody mess. Mysterio and Jericho had a litany of great matches in WCW, but by the time they faced off here in WWE, they'd both honed their skills to a razor sharp point. Miz used Maryse as cover in order to get back into the match which made things competitive, but it took a bit of a random turn when Bray Wyatt appeared, taking out all three men. I’m putting out a book, it’s called the Complete List of Jericho. They exchanged great moves and built up near falls by having others break up pins and submissions, making for a really exciting match. A hot St. Louis crowd watched Jericho deliver some of the crispest moves of his career. It had all the classic tenets of a tag team match yet done by such powerhouses, everything felt novel and exhilarating.